• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Will tumbling remove Tempilaq?

Fatelvis

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 15, 2003
Mokena, IL
I was thinking of going the Anneal-riteII method of annealing, and was wondering if tumbling with corn cob or walnut will remove the Tempilaq residue from inside the case neck. Thanks!

Steel wool takes care of tempilaq pretty quickly
This. But the idea is to tempilaq a few "discards" to make sure you are not overheating. I think the case head tempilaq at around 400 degrees is more important than at the neck. You should really be able to see, in a darkened room, just when your necks are "done".

So do you Tempilaq a few and count the seconds in the flame and just time them from then on?

With that unit I think your two best options would be to either Tempilaq every case and watch (like their video shows), or run a metronome (you can download a smartphone app or there are webpages you can open on your PC) and count the number of beats on several setup cases with tempiliaq. Once you know how many beats it takes to anneal just run the rest of the cases without tempilaq and count for each one.

So do you Tempilaq a few and count the seconds in the flame and just time them from then on?
If you're not using an annealing unit with a timer built in you should definitely be in a darkened room so you can watch each neck and remove them when ready.
I am color weak so I don't see the dull red as easily and quickly as most others. I am not sure I could anneal without the built in timer.

Tempilaq leaves a kind of ash. NO PROBLEM AT ALL. Even if you don't tumble, a quick pass with a nylon brush takes care of it, if it really concerns you.