• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Wilson Combat barrels?

BenY 2013

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 23, 2012
SW Arkansas
Was wondering what you guys have to say about these barrels? I have found very few reviews on these barrels, but they have all been good! Would one of these work for my precision ar build? Do they compare in any way to the Rainer UltraMatch or Match series? Would love to see groups if anyone has one of these barrels! Thanks

Ben

The original barrel in my RRA is a Wilson 16" hbar non chrome lined.
My only bitch is the weight, accuracy is probably better than it should be..
3600 rounds so far

I have a wilson combat 18" 1:7 stainless SPR 5.56 barrel on my 3 gun rifle. It balances nicely, and the barrel is a solid .75moa barrel with the right loads. So for the cost of the barrel can't complain about that. I've got probably close to 3k on the barrel and it still shoots good, clean or dirty.

I've got one of their .458 SOCOM kits. I'm very impressed with the accuracy and feel its a very high quality barrel in terms of fit and finish. I believe its comparable to the very best out there for the money...

Reactions: pvt first class
I've got one of their .458 SOCOM kits. I'm very impressed with the accuracy and feel its a very high quality barrel in terms of fit and finish. I believe its comparable to the very best out there for the money...

What scope is that? Gun looks awesome!

As far as accuracy goes if I could get .5-.75 groups at 100 I'd be pleased. Only reason I'm not looking into WOA is wait times(which WC has long wait times too but had a few in stock). I'll look into the Seekins barrels but I figure those will be out of my price range.

Ben

I have a Wilson Combat Recon Tactical 5.56 with 16" 1 in 7 twist barrel. The test target they sent with the gun is right around .75 MOA at 100 yards using 55 grain PMC gold ammo. I've seen similar results with some cheap factory 55 grain that I had. Bullet holes are touching with Winchester Ranger 62 grain penetrator rounds and while I'm still working out the handloads, I'm getting sub MOA using test loads with 55 grain Hornady VMAX and Barnes 70 grain TSX. The barrel seems to handle anything I put through it, so I'm happy.

B, thanks brotha. The optic is an IOR Valdada Trident. Grabbed one when they released the FFP version. And you're right on those wait times. My .458 kit - essentially a barrel and BCG - took 8 months to arrive...

I have two ARs with Wilson Combat barrels -- 16" 1/9 twist with maybe 3k rounds and 18" 1/7 twist with maybe 1k rounds. Both barrels will shoot 1 MOA or less with a number of factory loads -- mainly hollow point match (SMK), Amax, and VMax bullets. Both barrels seem to tolerate various bullet weights well, showing good accuracy all the way from 40 grains to 77 grains. The 1/9 twist is likely at the ragged edge of stabilizing 75 and 77 grain bullets, but it has done just fine so far.

I have shot the 1/9 out to 750 yards with 55 grain V-max, and done quite well in accuracy. Jacob Bynum of Rifles Only can attest to this. So far I have only shot the 1/7 twist out to 300 yards, but I was satisfied with its performance using FGMM 69 and FGMM 77.

Bottom line -- I'm happy with my Wilson Combat barrels and will buy additional ones down the road.

Thanks for all the replies and input guys! Sadly the barrel that was in stock is now gone... So I'm not sure what I am going to do. Hate waiting!

Ben

Check the gas port before building the gun.

A friend of mine had a local shop build a gun for him and they used an 18" Wilson barrel(looked like SPRish profile, but not sure). Guy was pretty busy and said "hey can you take this gun and break it in and zero my scope" and he gave me a few boxes of 77g FGMM ammo to use. Got to the range, wouldnt cycle. Was on a new lower as well so I swapped uppers on to a known good lower(factory DD lower) still no go. Tried my DD upper on his lower and it functioned fine. Told him something was up, but I wasnt about to tear down somebody else's work. He took it back to the shop and the gas port was WAY WAY under sized. I never asked him HOW under sized it was(he probably doesnt know anyway), but Wilson replaced the barrel. Supposedly Wilson said a batch got out with under sized gas ports. This was last summer(2013). He says it shoots great now with the new barrel.

Check the gas port before building the gun.

A friend of mine had a local shop build a gun for him and they used an 18" Wilson barrel(looked like SPRish profile, but not sure). Guy was pretty busy and said "hey can you take this gun and break it in and zero my scope" and he gave me a few boxes of 77g FGMM ammo to use. Got to the range, wouldnt cycle. Was on a new lower as well so I swapped uppers on to a known good lower(factory DD lower) still no go. Tried my DD upper on his lower and it functioned fine. Told him something was up, but I wasnt about to tear down somebody else's work. He took it back to the shop and the gas port was WAY WAY under sized. I never asked him HOW under sized it was(he probably doesnt know anyway), but Wilson replaced the barrel. Supposedly Wilson said a batch got out with under sized gas ports. This was last summer(2013). He says it shoots great now with the new barrel.

16-18" mid gas barrels should have a .081-.082" gas port

16-18" mid gas barrels should have a .081-.082" gas port

seeing as how the barrel in question that I was referring to is an 18" rifle gas, not sure how those gas port sizes pertain to the conversation.

Im not sure what barrel the OP is exactly looking at so maybe they will help him out.

Reactions: Ridgerunner60
Put it this way, if you get a barrel from Wilson COMBAT, whomever makes the darn thing, it will be a high quality consistent shooter. I have had several and they are all WELL under 1 MOA. My 6.8 shoots around .5 MOA on a good day and that makes me happy happy happy!

seeing as how the barrel in question that I was referring to is an 18" rifle gas, not sure how those gas port sizes pertain to the conversation.

Im not sure what barrel the OP is exactly looking at so maybe they will help him out.
I didn't see any where in your post that it said rifle gas. If that is the case it should be around .093"

Reactions: Ridgerunner60
I agree the original Navy Mk12 did but not all do. Noveske's and WOA aren't along with a few others and the SPR profile is used in a wide range of descriptions. After looking at Wilson's page their SPR 3 gun is so it should have a port around .093 or 3/32"

Last edited: