• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Wilson Combat Lovers Lets here from you.

Alaskaman11

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 21, 2009
Last Frontier
I was at the local cop shop here about a week ago, I listened to a sales guy who was bashing on Wilson combat 1911. He has stated that he owns several over the last couple years and now more than 60% of all the guns made by Wilson are going back for some sort of issue. Naturally my bullshit light went on and I think that numbers kind of high. Have you heard of this? Has quality control at Wilson gone down? He said it started about five years ago when there was a change of ownership or leadership over there. Please let me know before I start forking over almost $4000 for a 1911

I have a CQB that is 4 or 5 years old, it has never missed a beat since day one. A week after I purchased it I took it to a John Farnham's DTI pistol course (two no no's, John doesn't like 1911's for carry purposes and it was new, unfired which could have been a disaster) and it ran flawless and made me look good. As far as I know Bill Wilson is still at the helm so not sure about the "leadership" change? A few years back I believe a couple of the guys from Wilson left and started Nighthawk but I'm not aware that influenced Wilson Combat much. Why is the guy continuing to purchase them if the quality is declining? Unfortunately for me, I have a love for the 1911 and have too many including Nighthawk, Ed Brown, Colt, Kimber, etc. I would not hesitate to buy another Wilson but I need another 1911 like a hole in the head.

I read some bashing about Wilson in a gun magazine some years back. In said magazine they were talking all kinds of trash about Bill's personal life that wasn't relevant to anything about guns like the gun magazine should have been. Basically it was well off the subject of firearms, and made some sort of weird ass connection(Read: Conspiracy Theory) that his personal issues made the guns sloppy.

It wouldn't be the first time bullshit was written in ink.

I have had a Wilson CQB Compact for about 5 years. It has been utterly reliable. It is normally my carry weapon but I have shot it in USPSA matches a few times with zero issues. Fit and finish are first class. It is the first 1911 I got that I have done nothing to it, just no need.

I listened to a sales guy who was bashing on Wilson combat 1911.

And what was he selling? Sounds a lot like car salesmen; whatever dealership they're working for at the time determines who builds the best car.

I doubt Hi-Point has a 60 percent failure rate.

If I could invent a bullshit meter I would have to include a special setting for gun shops where the clueless lead so many down the primrose path with their unmitigated BS.
I have a CQB - a Wilson upper and diverse AR parts on my homemaders.
My take on Wilson Combat is proud wares and proud prices.
Life is too short to agravate myself with poor quality or stuff that doesn't work.

One of my daily carry pistols is a Wilson CQB that's had a lot of use during the past several years.............no problems.

Last edited:
Thanks guys, this cat was pushing something else. As I stated my bullshit detector was going off! On the other hand, knowing that these dudes are 18 to 24 months on a build now is crap! They need to train more smiths in Bill Wilson's art!

My brother has a carry gun from them built on an aluminum Officer frame with a 4" slide and bull barrel. Damn thing outshoots my 5" Ed Brown in a ransom rest.

Last edited:
i have never heard a bad thing from a wilson owner, and their customer service is know to be one of the best in the industry. i'm trying to trade into a wilson cqb and i too would not even consider it if i was worried at all about the quality of work coming from that shop as it will have to compete with 4-5 full house custom 1911's sitting in my safe already.

Ive had a CQB Tac LE for 2 years now. NOT 1 problem. I carry it, and has replaced the Glock on my nightstand. Ill admit 3k for a pistol will make a regular guy cringe, but I promise you wont be disapointed. I heard all the guys bash them before I went and bought one. I decided that Id make up my own mind, and Im glad I did. Ill pass mine down to my son and I bet he doesnt have any issues with it either. Your saving grace is if you buy one and dont like it you can ususally sell it for as much or more than you paid for it.

Bill got a divorce quite a while ago - that's old news. Gunsmiths have been coming and going from his shop for years, Nighthawk and otherwise - also old news. There may or may not be one person remaining from the 'old days' but many there now are new, that's true. I still won't pay 4K for a 1911, but the guns are fine.

Here's one Bill made for me back in the day; it has worked for the last 30 years:

It is nice to hear some good reports. I have been kicking around the idea of buying a Wilson CQB in .45 ACP. The only holding me back is that darn sticker price - even the used ones are not cheap if you can find them. That perhaps speaks volumes.

I've had this CQB .45 acp for about five years and it's been flawless. Just went over 5K rds. I have two other friends with basically the same gun, ALL of us have not had a single issue.

Mine is capable of one ragged hole groups at 25 yds as long as I can keep it all together. Wish I had my 20 yr old eyes again to see just how accurate it is. Feeds everything from GI hardball to light 180 gr lead SWC indoor loads.

Also have an Ed Brown commander sized gun...FAR fewer rds down the tube but another accurate, totally reliable 1911.

Wilsons are reliable and if not they make it right. While I think they jacked their prices up too much with the start of Nighthawk and that whole deal. I would trust my life to a Wilson any day.
Name Enough has it right guns shops and the gun industry in general has a bunch of gossip queens and info from them should be ignored at all costs.