• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Wilson Combat

wyld3man

Send It
Minuteman
Aug 18, 2017
FL
Anyone have experience with Wilson combat rifles or rifle parts? If so what do you think? I have a Mega upper/ lower handguard ”builders kit” that has been sitting in my gun safe that I am going to build out into a 6.5CM. I have a few AR’s that I built using a “builders kit“ from mega. I like to fill them with parts from the same manufacture to keep continuity. The previous 2 (5.56 and 7.62) I built out using only JP parts. I can do the same with Wilson Combat, as they sell BCG’s barrels, gas blocks etc. Just wondering how Wilson Combat parts stack up Before pulling the trigger.

Actually did not know Wilson sold all those parts individually until today. I was looking at getting one of their pistols (sig 320) and I started browsing around their web store.

I have a sub-MOA 6.5 Grendel that uses a WC barrel, BCG, gas block and tube. No issues. Shot wonderful with the first powder and bullet I tried. I've killed about 60 pigs with it so far, and have experienced only one malfunction...but I'm suspecting it was magazine-related (double feed). 100 hours of getting carried around in pastures and about 350 trouble free rounds through it otherwise.

I also have a .308 with WC barrel and BCG. Not as inherently accurate, but I did manage to squeeze a sub MOA group out of it (this is using hunting bullets only...no match stuff). It seems to be a 1 - 1.5 MOA shooter with the half dozen bullets that I've tried in it. No issues at all either, but I've only put ~ 80 rounds through it so far. It is getting added to the pig rifle rotation, so I'll have a lot better field report of it by year's end.

I'll continue to buy WC AR parts with confidence.

Reactions: YotaEer
I have 16” 5.56 and 300blk barrels. The 5.56 shoots sub-MOA all day. I haven’t shot the 300blk for groups in years, but remember it did well also.

Buy with confidence.

I have a 16 inch 5.56 barrel. It's accurate and gassed well. It's no proof or bartlein, but it is worth what I paid for it.

Sounds good, I appreciate the responses. Think I may build the internals out using all Wilson combat stuff.

I have a 300 HAMR and had a 6.5 Creedmoor.

The HAMR is all WC built by WC. 0.6” at 100 with 125 TNTs over 27.5 CFEBLK, Starline brass,CCI450s.

The 6.5 was WC barrel and WC bolt and 3/4” - 1” at 100 all day long.

cant ask for more than that.

I cobbled together these WC SBR's; 6.8 SPC2 and 9 mm; most always install Geiselle SSA 2-stage triggers, the WC 2 stage is very good as well
IMG_5935 Annotated with S&B 1-8X Dual CC copy.jpg
IMG_2325 copya copy.jpg
Screen Shot 2021-02-21 at 7.37.38 AM.png
IMG_6453 copy.JPG
IMG_7064 copy.JPG
. The parts are first class and upper / lower receiver have tight fitment.

I have a WC .223 1:9 barrel, it's a pretty straightforward 416R button rifled affair. Shoots sub-moa. Made in Korea by Dasan, a big industrial corp.

I recently built a .300 HAM'R upper with a WC barrel, bolt w/BCG, gas block & tube, as well as their handguard. Build quality on all items was very good and the upper shoots sub MOA. I'm getting ready to order another barrel, gas block & tube, and handguard to build a second upper.

I have wanting to build a 300 Hammer just for fun; Bill Wilson has some videos controlling feral hogs with it.

Lots a HAMR time here:

Lots a HAMR time here:

Their more recent factory guns are hit and miss. Shame because their pistols are first class all the way around.

One of my local dealers had a bad batch of them not to long ago. Would not cycle factory ammo which means they have piss poor QCQA and no test firing. He sent the guns back and they were replaced.

Throwing a bunch of parts together, especially with the Large Frame AR is rolling the dice. There is just too much variance and you really don't know what you are going to end up with.

Buy a factory gun and you will at least have the warranty and support. They are not legos.

Yeah- I’ve had the 6.5 ‘super Sniper’ and two ‘recon tactical’ 300blk. They were perfectly nice, around <1MOA as advertised. I was honestly much more impressed with my JP’s build quality (and customer service) though.

Their more recent factory guns are hit and miss. Shame because their pistols are first class all the way around.

One of my local dealers had a bad batch of them not to long ago. Would not cycle factory ammo which means they have piss poor QCQA and no test firing. He sent the guns back and they were replaced.

Throwing a bunch of parts together, especially with the Large Frame AR is rolling the dice. There is just too much variance and you really don't know what you are going to end up with.

Buy a factory gun and you will at least have the warranty and support. They are not legos.

I can understand that point of view on buying a factory gun, there are a lot of benefits of doing so, plus if you don’t want it anymore it is easier to sell. My problem is I like to build things, no matter what it is, ( computers, furniture, guns, and some shit it would just make more sense to buy, next up is a fishing rod) Sometimes it works out and sometimes you have to figure out unforeseen issues, which leads to a better understanding of how whatever you built works. That in itself is just as much fun as shooting to me.

Last edited:
Reactions: jbonnie
I know how many feel about optics planet and why, that said, their sister site that's "members only" (it's free) dvor.com has some Wilson C stuff like barrels on sale there right now. Saw this thread so I thought I'd let everyone know who's interested in that.

I know how many feel about optics planet and why, that said, their sister site that's "members only" (it's free) dvor.com has some Wilson C stuff like barrels on sale there right now. Saw this thread so I thought I'd let everyone know who's interested in that.
looks like only the 300blk barrel now but thx for heads up!

looks like only the 300blk barrel now but thx for heads up!
Yeah, there's a short time limit on that stuff all the time. But, I've found that if you go on there and search for specific items , they will then send you emails with specials going on in the category for the items you searched. Example: if I go on there and search for a scope a few times to see if they have available, after doing it for a few days in a row, their "sales" they email me, will have "optics" as one of the sale categories, and so on....

Reactions: RUTGERS95
I can only contribute that I have a Wilson Combat 6.5cm barrel on order and will post a build review when it's completed and have results.

My only experience is with his 45ACP magazines which are top of the class.

I had a 14.7 308 that was lights out accurate and wish I could still get that barrel for another build

I have a WC 6.8 bbl in an ar...that rifle is a hammer.
Starting to really like their AR scope mount, too...very secure and snag free.
I have heard very little bad about WC.

I have a WC 6.8 bbl in an ar...that rifle is a hammer.
Starting to really like their AR scope mount, too...very secure and snag free.
I have heard very little bad about WC.
I've not seen their scope mount but WC is a company that I've come to trust their products. Will have to look for it

If you bought a factory WC AR and it doesn’t cycle, lube the BCG. They ship them dry.

ask me how I know.....
AR should work dry and cycle unlubed for hundreds of rounds. Not saying don't lube but if it can't cycle dry, something is off. Lube masks issues ironically enough. I never lube until almost 1k rounds of any new rifle to insure proper function and reliability.

I don't know who told you that, but you're wrong.
AR should work dry and cycle unlubed for hundreds of rounds. Not saying don't lube but if it can't cycle dry, something is off. Lube masks issues ironically enough. I never lube until almost 1k rounds of any new rifle to insure proper function and reliability.

I don't know who told you that, but you're wrong.
yeah no I'm not. In fact, various testing includes unlubed. Been doing this for a very long time and many environments and you'd be surprised what you can see in an unlubed AR. David's WC for instance, bet that weapon is finicky with ammo, will start having issues without more fequent cleanings or always lubed up like wet instead of standard protocol and/or hold your breath, the gas block could even be off just a hair. AR tolerances have gotten progressively tighter as machining has improved but the reality is that the bolt face is where it matters most

pick your posion, do you want uber precision or do you want reliability under any determinant....

If you bought a factory WC AR and it doesn’t cycle, lube the BCG. They ship them dry.

ask me how I know.....
I am going to wager a World Class Bench Rest shooter with millions in guns and 10+ year 45B could figure out if it needed lube or was a more significant issue.

Reactions: bobke
yeah no I'm not. In fact, various testing includes unlubed. Been doing this for a very long time and many environments and you'd be surprised what you can see in an unlubed AR. David's WC for instance, bet that weapon is finicky with ammo, will start having issues without more fequent cleanings or always lubed up like wet instead of standard protocol and/or hold your breath, the gas block could even be off just a hair. AR tolerances have gotten progressively tighter as machining has improved but the reality is that the bolt face is where it matters most

pick your posion, do you want uber precision or do you want reliability under any determinant....
He kind of is. The gun requires a lube per every TM/PM, the designer cites it and every top builder/expert on the platform will tell you to run them wet in every condition.

That's like saying don't put engine oil in your car, so you can see other engine issues pop up. Both will seize up your gun/engine.

Its not a valid diagnostic. Every AR needs to be ran wet if you want to ensure reasonable function. There is no way around that.

Running dry will cause unessiary wear and tear on the gun and SIGNIFICANTLY reduce the service life on many components. Its stupid and there is no reason to do it.

He kind of is. The gun requires a lube per every TM/PM, the designer cites it and every top builder/expert on the platform will tell you to run them wet in every condition.

That's like saying don't put engine oil in your car, so you can see other engine issues pop up. Both will seize up your gun/engine.

Its not a valid diagnostic. Every AR needs to be ran wet if you want to ensure reasonable function. There is no way around that.

Running dry will cause unessiary wear and tear on the gun and SIGNIFICANTLY reduce the service life on many components. Its stupid and there is no reason to do it.
stupid analogy and it's not even remotely close. I'm shocked you of all people would make that analogy. TDP aside (as if TDP is the be all right), running dry will not 'significantly' reduce the service life. ample testing has been done, it's required during field trials and smart to do on all new rigs.

you are much smarter than your retort

stupid analogy and it's not even remotely close. I'm shocked you of all people would make that analogy. TDP aside (as if TDP is the be all right), running dry will not 'significantly' reduce the service life. ample testing has been done, it's required during field trials and smart to do on all new rigs.

you are much smarter than your retort
Its done during trials to determine the MRBF that some CO made a target for. It also significantly degrades the service life of the gun. Plenty of destructive and non destructive testing occurs on TEST weapons that will never see service. Those guns then go back to the company or end up in a museum system within DOD. They are not fit for service and their value is in the provenance.

If one of my joes turned in a dry ass gun he would be cleaning and lubing every fucking weapon in the arms room over the weekend. They are designed to run wet, they run better wet and it keeps me from having to fix shit that should not have failed due to poor PMCS.