• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Wilson vs Redding neck bushings

chefcam864

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 2, 2013
Spartanburg, SC
I just ordered an bushing FL sizing die from Whidden Gunworks, and am just trying to get some opinions on different bushings. Either Wilson or Redding bushings will work, but I'm not sure which would be better quality wise. I trust both of these companies, especially Wilson. I'm also not sure what size bushings to order. My necks measure .332 on loaded rounds, so I'm thinking a .329 and a .328 bushing. Does this sound good? I'm not new to reloading at all, but I am new to bushing dies.

Any info is appreciated
Thanks, Casey

Based on the information you provided the diameters you are choosing should be correct. I use both manufacturers and prefer for no particular reason the Wilson bushings. Those diameters are on the thin side for .308 Winchester however. You might want to use a micrometer on some other rounds you have access to.

I turned the necks to .0135". Seems like Win brass is thinner than it used to be... It usually comes in around .014" fed and lapua have been running .015" and .016" respectively.

If your neck measures .332, then I would order a .329, .330, and .331. I use Redding bushings, but I also use a Redding die, so...

Your numbers sound fine. I probably would buy .228, .229. and .330. I have both brands of bushings, mostly because Sinclair did not have exactly what I wanted in stock. Both work fine. The Wilson looks better, quality wise. In actual usage, I can't tell any difference. That is reported to be a really good set of dies! Please be sure to let us know how they work. Lightman

I've used both brands loading for a different cartridge. My preference is the Redding titanium nitride bushings. Seating a bullet is noticeably smoother, and my assumption is that neck tension might be more consistent. Also, no lube necessary with titanium nitride.

Thanks for the info guys!
Lightman, I'll definitely keep you posted about the Whidden dies. I was thinking of going with the Forster Bushing Bump die, but for $15 more I figured I'd try the Whidden. I already use a Forster Ultra Micrometer seater so I didn't get the Whidden seater, though it is supposed to be excellent.

So the regular Wilson bushings are supposed to be lubed? Well I mean the case necks should be lubed prior to sizing?

Thanks for the info guys!
Lightman, I'll definitely keep you posted about the Whidden dies. I was thinking of going with the Forster Bushing Bump die, but for $15 more I figured I'd try the Whidden. I already use a Forster Ultra Micrometer seater so I didn't get the Whidden seater, though it is supposed to be excellent.

So how are those Whidden dies working for you and which bushings did you end up using?

Your math is wrong
.0135 x 2 = .027
.027 + .308 = .335

If your brass is truly .0135 thick there is no way loaded ammo can measure .332

Reactions: laserlite