• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Win 3 position saftey help

acts238

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 2, 2011
N W Montana
I picked up a Model 670 with 3 position saftey in bolt
neighbor bought new in 67 for his wife
he said she hunted with it very little - still looks new
when its on either of the 2 safe positions
the trigger will not reset when pulled
& the saftey becomes the trigger
if you dont re-cock bolt
this cant be right
please tell me it aint supposed to work this way
Ive never had a Winny only 700's
after looking at bolt parts it looks like only way to get trigger to reset would be if saftey lever could stop all foward firing pin movement - but I dont see how it could
& I dont see anything broke
any help appreciated

Re: Win 3 position saftey help

Here is what's happening and how to fix it:

The safety is a firing pin block. Meaning regardless of sear position the striker wont fall.

In your case the block isn't camming the striker back far enough to allow the sear on the trigger to reset. The solution without fitting a new cocking piece/striker assy is to remove a smidge off of the angled cocking piece where it loads on the trigger sear.

Use caution cause if you get carried away the safety may quit working. Its a very narrow margin that your working with. If this happens you gotta peel the fire control apart and work on the cocking piece where it loads on the safety lever.

Good luck. Im pretty fluent/comfy with winnys so if you don't feel like fiddlin wed be glad to help.

C.

Re: Win 3 position saftey help

thanks Chad , a couple file strokes is all it took, then ran a cratex wheel over it to smooth out file marks, and a little cold blue - I would say - better than new - thanks again Chad-
is there any hinged floor plates available
besides 200.00 Williams ?
Id like to put this in a bdl stock
now that Im not afraid of it