• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Win. 40 gr. SS TCHP + Alox = WOW!

kombayotch

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 20, 2007
Winchester 40 gr. Truncated Cone HP subsonics have great terminal ballistics, and unlike the CCI HP subsonics, they feed well in match chambers. They don't shoot as well as the more expensive coated HP subsonics though (which lack in terminal ballistics). However, I noticed that the first group after shooting coated match was always nice and small.

So, I took a box of the Win. ammo and coated half the rounds in it with Lee Liquid Alox. I tested on a target 45 yards away. I first fired 10 bare rounds off paper, then printed three 5 round groups (top left). After that, I fired 10 coated rounds off paper, then printed three 5 round groups. Scope adjustments were made on the second row of dots. Rifle was a Sako Quad with a Lilja barrel. It was shot free recoil, pinching the trigger and watching the wind flags carefully.

P1050345.jpg

I'm surprised how much the Alox shrunk the groups (by ~0.2"). It was pretty quick and easy to do, I just brushed it on with a small brush and put the rounds back in the carrier to dry. Careful not to get any on the brass or you'll get FTEs. They extracted fine if I wiped the Alox off the cases though.

Re: Win. 40 gr. SS TCHP + Alox = WOW!

i've used the alox in the stick form, i did not know there was a liquid, as it seems that would be easier to apply.

i've had great results using the alox on all .22lr ammo, and especially when compared to other waxy or petroleum lubes:
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1173247#Post1173247

lubing them after weight sorting really seems to pull the groups in at 100 + 200 using "less than Wolf" ammos.

Re: Win. 40 gr. SS TCHP + Alox = WOW!

I haven't tried them any further out, but I will given these results. I'll give weight sorting a try too.

Yes, the liquid stuff is really easy to work with, and you only need a thin coat. Next time, I'll keep the rounds in the carrier and dip all 50 at once. Probably doesn't matter if you don't coat the very back of the bullet, just to avoid the FTE issues when it gets on the cases.