• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Win 70 Laredo in 300 Win MAg

MRattpack

Private
Minuteman
Dec 27, 2011
Ohio
Hello All,
I have been reading a lot of posts on this forum and have learned a lot of things as well.

I currently have a Winchester 70 Laredo in 300 Win Mag (pre64 Long Action with the claw style extractor). What I would like to do is take this rifle and install it into a new stock or chassis system that I can adjust to fit me more ergonomicaly. In my search I have looked at XLR chassis and a Manners MCS-T5A stock. Both of these I like and I am hoping to get some more information from people here on the forum. One other thing I would like to do is install a detachable box magazine system. In my search I have found there is not much on the market for a winchester in this area.
If anyone has any suggestions or has upgraded a Winchester 70 I would like to here what they have done.

Re: Win 70 Laredo in 300 Win MAg

Is it a true pre-64 or is it the newer classic? If its a true pre-64, I wouldn't touch it unless its already been altered beyond a collectable state.The 300WM was introduced in 1963. Leaves a small window doesnt it. Only about made 5000 were produced in this caliber.

Re: Win 70 Laredo in 300 Win MAg

UPDATE!
I am learning more about this rifle as I keep researching about the different mods I would like to do.

The rifle is a Winchester Model 70 Classic Laredo Long Range Hunter in the caliber 300 Win Mag. It was first introduced to the public market in 1997 inwhich I purchsed the rifle new in 1998. The paperwork that came with the rifle said it has pre 64 claw extractor (I kept thinking that it was a remake of the pre 64 action). I will post some pictures of the rifle here soon which will also help.

I have spoken to CDI Precision Gunworks and he was the one that corrected me about the action itself. Upon doing some research on Winchesters website that is where I found the actual date the rifle was first put on the market.

The actual mods I am looking at doing are the following -
New Stock - XLR or Manners MCS-T5A
Bolt handle mod by Short Action Customs
Muzzle Brake Install by Short Action Customs
DBM System by CDI Precision GunWorks
(if i go with XLR the DBM will come with that system)

Everyone that I have spoken with has been very helpful and my reason for joing this forum was the wealth of information that I have learned from here. All of the above vendors I found through this website.

Mark Gordon from SAC even gave me some advice that could even help save me some money with the upgrades. I really appreciate that. As he pointed out depending on which stock I go with he explained what would need to be done.

Thanks in advance everyone. If anyone has any more information please let me know.