• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Win brass or lapua??

stapletonb08.1740

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 10, 2012
lucasville ohio
I have been using win 308 brass in my remington 700 and been getting great results! When I first got the cases in the mail I ran them through my re sizing die then I trimmed them all to 2.002 I have been using 44g of varget pushing a 175 SMK down range. COAL of 2.930 .015 off the lands. Im not getting much muzzle velocity with my 26in barrel, around 2570. From a 200yd zero my elevation at 1000 yards is 40 moa. My question is will I see better better results if I start using Lapua brass? I hear everyone doging winchester brass. Considering I have a extremly long COAL People have told me I will see more muzzle velocity using lapua brass because of the less volume compared to winchester brass. I make sure all my cases are completly uniform. primer pocket, flash hole (everything). The win brass I have ranges in weight from 154.3-156.8 most of them weigh 155. Do you guys think I will also see better accuracy with lapua brass? I might just have to place a order at Midway.

Re: Win brass or lapua??

I have used both and have had good results out of both. European brass flash holes are drilled, and American brass holes are punched. This would cause the Lapua brass to be more consistent. As for case capacity, I don't see that effecting accuracy, you would simply adjust powder charge accordingly. If you tend to the flash holes in the Winchester brass, you might not notice a difference. You will probably get more loads out of Lapua, as the Win will probably split a neck after a few loads, but the Lapua is lots more expensive--you should get more out of it.

I started my .308 loads with Winchester brass and had good results. I was on the tenth load on the same lot before I stopped.
I happened to run into a large lot of Lapua brass and have not looked back. It's great if you want to save time because you don't have to prep the brass. Prepping hundreds of pieces of brass is like tortue to me, and eats up my free time. I prefer to pay more for the time savings. Also, the Lapua is more resistant to dings and dents as it seems to be a little thicker. I use it for one very accurate ar I own for both of those reasons.
This has been discussed quite a bit on this board, and I think you will find the crowd split between guys that don't want to spend the extra time verses guys that don't want to spend the extra money. Both manufactures brass will work well for your application.
I don't think you will see a faster load by switching brass, if you keep the pressure at a safe level. I think you may have better luck experimenting with different powders but if you really want to run fast ditch the stock barrel (assuming it's stock Remington due to long throat) and get a custom like Bartlein, Kreiger, Rock, etc..

Winchester brass can be fixed. You just have to examine each one and throw out the off-center flash holes as well as uniform primer pockets and ream/deburr the flash holes. The advantage is that you get some extra case capacity out of the Win brass. The disadvantage is that there is no room to turn the brass if you are using a factory chamber and shouldn't do it unless you have a relatively tight neck.

I use Lapua, but WIN is not a bad choice.

I enjoy preping cases so i will probably keep shooting the winchesters a couple more reloads. Then ill go with lapua. Man they sure are pricey! Thanks for the great info!

I've found the Lapua to be very consistent in every dimension and requires no trimming or sizing; however, the necks can get a little out of shape in shipping. I neck size (with Lee collet die) and load away.

I say Lapua is worth it. I've got some cases with 12 firings in a Remington factory chamber and 11 full-length resizings. They're still fine; I just quit shooting the rifle for building a custom.

Case mouths can be a lil dinged from shipping. I run them up over the expander, chamfer and deburr the mouths also. Stick the primer pocket uniformer in and it barely cuts any material. A quick tumble, then I load them to fire-form. They're very consistent and tough. Expensive at first, but consistent for roughly twice the life of Winchester.

My dilemma is that I get my Winchester Brass for free and I have to pay for my Lapua. The local range has service rifle competitions once per month and I shoot the day after. They leave tons of Winchester once-fired behind.

FWIW, I'm getting almost 100 fps more velocity than the OP in Win cases using 44.5gr varget with a nosler 175gr Custom Comp from my 24" 5R Milspec.

I have both Lapua and Winchester cases for my .308win. The lapua stuff is what I use for shooting groups and long range... the Winchester stuff is for a rainy day. Its still good brass but as Carter mentioned, the necks are thinner. I find that Winchester neck thickness to be about 0.002" thinner.

My loaded Lapua brass works out to 0.336" and Winchester is 0.332".

I use Lapua out of my bolt rifle and Win brass out of my M1A because of the way it gets beat up in the semi-auto platform.

I get low-30 reload cycles on Win brass without even annealing (Neck Only sizing most of the time).

I believe Lapua brass is better in a number of ways, and maybe some day I will pick up a years supply.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: stapletonb08.1740</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have been using win 308 brass in my remington 700 and been getting great results! When I first got the cases in the mail I ran them through my re sizing die then I trimmed them all to 2.002 I have been using 44g of varget pushing a 175 SMK down range. COAL of 2.930 .015 off the lands. Im not getting much muzzle velocity with my 26in barrel, around 2570. From a 200yd zero my elevation at 1000 yards is 40 moa. My question is will I see better better results if I start using Lapua brass? I hear everyone doging winchester brass. Considering I have a extremly long COAL People have told me I will see more muzzle velocity using lapua brass because of the less volume compared to winchester brass. I make sure all my cases are completly uniform. primer pocket, flash hole (everything). The win brass I have ranges in weight from 154.3-156.8 most of them weigh 155. Do you guys think I will also see better accuracy with lapua brass? I might just have to place a order at Midway.</div></div>

Something sounds off here. Did you chrony that load, or did you back into that velocity number by adjusting it in a computer to match your 1000 yard scope adjustment? Are you sure 40moa on your scope is really 40moa? I assume you are single loading these. Was 44 grains an accuracy node? Were you seeing pressure signs? Every rifle is a little different, especially factory chambers, but my 308 24in barrel pushes 175SMKs at about 2715 using 45 grains of Varget. Not saying that would work in your rifle, but it seems to me there is more velocity to be had here.

I can get better velocity out of my Lapua. Although, at times, the groups I shoot are equal with Win brass.