• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

win. m.70 rebarrel question

If you just want to change things up and a new flavor of hunting round, I would entertain a 280 or 280AI , for less recoil a 7x57 is a nice deer getter. I have a M70 in 7x57 its a real fun round to shoot and my kids can handle it as well.

I'd suggest a 280AI for a great all around hunting/long range cartridge.

Since you already have a 7x57mm, you could have another for commonality or a 6.5x55mm Swede, another oldie but goodie. .270Win is another flat shooting, moderate kicker. But the 30-06 is just as good......

My vote is stay with 30-06. If you load, you can make them light, if not, go with light factory. Huge difference in a 150 vs 180 or even 220. You can have a wide range of loads for that caliber, very useful.

I have a win m.70 that i want to rebarrel from 30-06. what caliber should i go for

Assuming you want to hunt with it, you might fill out your profile so we know what game you will likely encounter. That said, I would re barrel it to a 25-06. I run Berger VLD hunting bullets in my M70 re barrel and it is a great hunting rifle-easy to shoot, accurate and good out to 500-600 yards.

win. m.70 rebarrel question

.30-06 is still one of the most versatile cartridges out there. Don't change it. Shoot a 150 and take out a deer, shoot a 220 and take out an elk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I want to go to a heavy barrel and a flatter trajectory than an 06 past 1000yd. sadly the action is too short to go to my beloved .338 lapua or so I've been told

I want a heavy barrel at least 26" in length and in a caliber with ballistics closer to the .338 lapua

Sell the rifle and put the money towards an magnum action or if you can afford it, keep the 30-06 as is, and buy another. You WILL save money in the long run, rather than trying to rework your existing rifle.

BTW a 7mm Magnum (of whatever favor) shooting 180's will keep up with a .338Lapua to about a mile, only thing lacking is energy on target.