• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Win Mdl 70 question

Hogshooter

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 23, 2003
Powhatan, Va
Question for you guys. I have a post '64 Win. Model 70 heavy barrel in .243, ser. # G985,XXX that appears to be manufactured in 1970 according to i-net searches. My question is whether it is a long action or short action. Measuring from the bolt face (with bolt back) to the chamber edge of the barrel looks to be 3.250" and looking at the action it appears to be a long action. What I am reading on from my searches is that it should be a SA. Anyone know how to tell which it is ? All my other rifles are Rem. SA and the loading port is much shorter....thanks

Re: Win Mdl 70 question

Ejection port on my short action is 2.585", long action is 3.120"

An easy way to tell action length on Win Mod 70's is to measure the center distance for the scope mounting base:

The middle spread is the distance between the two middle holes, center to center, on your receiver. The middle spreads on Winchester 70 mounts are as follows:

Winchester 70 Short Action: 3.25"
Winchester 70 WSM: 3.5"
Winchester 70 WSSM: 3.215"

Hope this helps. If you have a post '64 in .243 I believe they were only made in SA config.

Respectfully,

Chet

I had a post-64 Mod 70 in .22/250. It was a long action with the mag box blocked on both ends.