• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Win Mod70 Extractor Tuning

wichitaguns

Private
Minuteman
Jun 7, 2012
Hey all.
Does anyone have any experience with increasing or decreasing the extractor tension on the mod70 claw.
I have a 270 mod 70 classic and the rounds don't stay snapped into the extractor on feeding and sometimes get oriented sideways. In fact every so often the rounds have their rim in the extractor but nose gets oriented to the right and hit the guide rails and causes a feeding issue.
Note this has happened with win white box softtip ammo.
Any suggestions or input welcome.
In contrast on my fn spr actions the rounds stay snapped on to the claw and got have much wiggle

Has this rifle always done this or did it develop over time or appear all at once?

You also might confirm that it is the correct extractor. If you remove it, there is a mark on the under side near the tail end of it that identifies its exact type. Yours should be marked S-R for standard-right. A magnum extractor would be marked M-R. They can easily be mistaken and a magnum extractor would cause what you are describing.

Hope this helps.

AG

Need to read it carefully again and see if there is a quick fix. Looks like non soft tipped rounds work ok

The only adequate "quick fix" to the problem you are stating would be to fit the extractor claw with files and stones, which is not easy especially for someone who has never done it before. The "claw" itself should be angled slightly "positive" such that only the tip of the claw grabs the case, as deep in the case rim as possible.

The problem could also be caused by the claw being too far "out" to the right from the bolt face, in which case you could file or stone away material SLOWLY from the inside edge of the extractor where it makes contact with the bolt, until the loaded round was centered when gripped by the extractor... just my .02$. YMMV, and as guys have said before, it could just be an improperly sized extractor to begin with.