• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Gunsmithing Win pre 64 M70 bolt handle hitting scope.

Joe9735

Private
Minuteman
Mar 25, 2008
Aubrey, TX
I have a pre-64 M70. Its a shooter and not a collector. When mounting a USO SN3 1.8-10
power scope, I found that the bolt handle hits the scope.

I also have a 1962 Rem 700 and mounted the same scope on it and it just barely clears the scope.
In fact I have to take my thumb off the handle and pull it back with just my fingers in order to
work the bolt.

Has anyone else had this issue when mounting a USO on an older rifle? Are you just bending the bolt
handles in order to make them clear the larger diameter eyepiece/magnification ring?

I had a custom knob installed on my pre-64 and it comes close to the scope (nightforce atacr) but maintains plenty of clearance to operate. I think the extra length acquired from the custom knob helps my situation...the rifle was worked over prior to shooting it with the night force so I don't know what it was like with the factory knob and large optic. I can take some pictures of the bolt clearance if you like.

What type of rail are you using? I have been using the original Weaver Mounts, and I think it is part of the problem. I am having trouble finding a picatinny style rail because I don't have much experience with the pre 64. It was manufactured in 1959.