• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Winchester 7.62 brass

sjohnny

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 14, 2010
Texas (Near Austin)
I am not yet set up to reload but plan to do so in the (hopefully) not too distant future. I have been buying ammo with the idea of making my own once fired brass. At Academy they have Winchester 7.62x51 147gr FMJ in a white box. Is this brass the same as the Winchester .308 brass or is it like the military brass where it's going to have a crimped in primer and I'm going to have to adjust the amount of powder from what is listed in .308 recipes. I've been using mostly Winchester Power Points up to now (and a couple of boxes of Federal when they were out of Winchester) and have been hearing that Winchester is decent brass.

Thanks.

Re: Winchester 7.62 brass

What's on the head? In my experience, Win Millitary has WRA or WCC stamped on them. Winchester comercial has Winchester and 308. It sounds like you have military. (7.62x51 instead of 308)

I haven't bought any yet. I wasn't planning to buy it if it was military type brass rather than .308 brass.

Its civilian winchester brass, which I fould is excellent in both 308 and 223. My supply of LC cases is thinning out so I moved to Winchester and found it's just as good, (if not better then some lots of LC brass).

I load it the same way as I did my LC stuff, meaning 41.5 Grns of 4895, Fed Match Primers and either 168 or 175 SMKs.

Some fmj commercial ammo has crimped primers,and this might too.Its only a little more work to get rid of the crimp,and then your ready to load.It should be pretty good brass. Pete

I have 100 rounds of it. It is stamped WCC. The primers arent crimped but they are thick like LC cases. The difference between those and my Winchester cases is about 2 grains. Loads that are sticky in the WCC cases are easy to open in he Winchester cases.