• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

winchester 70 actions ?

clinto

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 16, 2010
Lubbock, TX
My Dad has had this 264 win mag for a long time that he got used from a friend and just hasnt shot it much because it was hard to find ammo for. Well now that we reload, were thinkin about overhauling it with a new barrel and stock. Its a winchester mod 70 action, are they good to build off of? Are there many stock options for a Win action?

I know I know, theres a search function and I could do the research and find the answers myself, but I just dont have the time. So if someone dont mind sharing their knowledge then it would definately be appreciated.

Re: winchester 70 actions ?

There aren't as many parts out there as a Remington 700 but everything you need is available. McMillan makes stocks and CDI has bottom metal. Barrels are barrels and if you don't like the trigger there are replacements for that too from all of the big names.

I've read that the flat bottom design of the receiver makes it better than a cylindrical receiver like the model 700. However, I have also read that it is much easier for a gunsmith to true up a Remington receiver due to its cylindrical design.

Also, I don't think the Winchester has the "3 rings of steel" design that Remington promotes.

With all of that being said, I am sure a Winchester action is worthy of a custom build. It has to be. It's the "Rifleman's Rifle".

The FN SPR is basically a short action 70, and those have gotten a lot of good reviews for accuracy and value. The 70 is a classic design and it has some features you don't see on many other domestic rifles (controlled round feed, three position safety). Go for it.

Before you chop up a Model 70 in 264WM have someone value it. You may be surprised at the number you get back.

If you do decide to build a rifle from the Model 70 action it is a fine choice.

Personally I would take an FN PBR/Model 70 over a Remington 700 any day, and yes I own both.

One of the big things that a 700 has going for it is that it is the "small block Chevy" of rifles. Aftermarket parts galore. Also with it's cylindrical body it is a good base action to start with for accurizing. Does it mean it better? Not in my opinion but your choices aren't as limited as with other actions.

I still feel that the M70 is a better action because of the following:

- Controlled Round Feed
- Blade ejector
- Flat bottom receiver
- Integral recoil lug
- Coned breaching
- The right bolt lug raceway is blocked by the extractor when in battery. Helps keep gasses out of your face in the event of a case failure.
- Left side gas block serves as contact point for bolt stop instead of the bolt lug. It also blocks the left raceway to divert gasses. (The pre-64 actions do not have this feature but can be easily retrofitted.)
- Three position safety
- Reliable two lever open trigger
- Bolt handle won't break loose like a Remmy. It isn't soldered straight to the outside of the bolt body.
- Well finished and machined. (except for the post 64's made in the 70's)

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=129397&Number=1413143

What he said ^^^

Vastly superior action IMO.

I think the answer would depend on whether you are asking from a gunsmith's standpoint or a rifleman's standpoint.

There are idiots that do not believe in seeing what real experts are doing, and claim that looking to see what National Champions are shooting, is of no value-I feel they are wrong! With that said, the M70 won the Wimbledon Cup (shot at 1000yards at Camp Perry) 2010-far from the first time that great action has been in the National Winning circle! I agree with the above posters.

Winchester Model 70 actions are excellent actions. Many accessories for the M700 can be found for the M70, you may have to look harder for some. Williams makes one-piece bottom metal for M70. Not trying to beat a dead horse but Winchester vs. Remington, or Ford vs. Chevy, or coke vs. pepsi. I like guns that shoot and cars that run! Oh, and they all break!

First a few more details would help.

Pre-64 or post? If post, Classic action (pre-64 type) or push feed? All these determine it's current value and if I'd jack with it.

If you happen to have a pre-64, I'd leave it alone, especially if it is, by chance, a featherweight. If that's the case, I'd sell it on gunbroker and start from scratch.

If you choose to build, the parts you choose and the person you pick to put it together are far more important than which action your building on, IMO.

Personally, I'm a big fan of the Win 70. I have a custom 6-06 on a push feed and 22 CHeetah on a pre-64.

A 264wm is on my wish list, but down a ways. If it were me I'd seriously consider a featherweight Rock 8 twist barrel and a Mcmillan edge stock.

As above, model 70s are not all the same. Pre-64 controlled round feed Winchesters (the "Rifleman's Rifle") are prized and collectable. Possibly not something that you want to chop up.

Post-64 actions were push feed... but then they re-introducted CRF actions and called them "classic" actions. At that point they produced both actions, but I think that most of them were push feed. I am not sure on the rarity of "classic" action M70s. I don't think they were made for very many years before USRAC went under.

If you do not know it is probably a push feed, but you should verify before you chop it. The FN SPR is the M70 classic action I believe that is built by FN.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: treebasher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Before you chop up a Model 70 in 264WM have someone value it. You may be surprised at the number you get back.

If you do decide to build a rifle from the Model 70 action it is a fine choice.

Personally I would take an FN PBR/Model 70 over a Remington 700 any day, and yes I own both.

One of the big things that a 700 has going for it is that it is the "small block Chevy" of rifles. Aftermarket parts galore. Also with it's cylindrical body it is a good base action to start with for accurizing. Does it mean it better? Not in my opinion but your choices aren't as limited as with other actions.

I still feel that the M70 is a better action because of the following:

- Controlled Round Feed
- Blade ejector
- Flat bottom receiver
- Integral recoil lug
- Coned breaching
- The right bolt lug raceway is blocked by the extractor when in battery. Helps keep gasses out of your face in the event of a case failure.
- Left side gas block serves as contact point for bolt stop instead of the bolt lug. It also blocks the left raceway to divert gasses. (The pre-64 actions do not have this feature but can be easily retrofitted.)
- Three position safety
- Reliable two lever open trigger
- Bolt handle won't break loose like a Remmy. It isn't soldered straight to the outside of the bolt body.
- Well finished and machined. (except for the post 64's made in the 70's)

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=129397&Number=1413143 </div></div>

Great post. These are all of the reasons that lead me to base my first (and future) builds on the CRF M70 action..

Thanks for all the replys, you guys are awesome. on the side of the barrel it says Winchester Model 70 XTR. Also, I ran the serial # and found out that it was made in 1979. How can I tell if it is a controlled round feed or a push feed? Thanks again

In my sig is a rifle I built from a m70 action and I love this rifle real smooth solid action. My friend
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: clinto</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for all the replys, you guys are awesome. on the side of the barrel it says Winchester Model 70 XTR. Also, I ran the serial # and found out that it was made in 1979. How can I tell if it is a controlled round feed or a push feed? Thanks again </div></div>

Controled round feed has the trade mark claw going down the side of the bolt, push feed does not.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: clinto</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for all the replys, you guys are awesome. on the side of the barrel it says Winchester Model 70 XTR. Also, I ran the serial # and found out that it was made in 1979. How can I tell if it is a controlled round feed or a push feed? Thanks again </div></div>

If it's an XTR made in 1979, then it's a Push Feed action.

I had one of the "classic" model 70's a few years back and sold it. Matter of fact it was a stainless model 70 classic CRF in .308 win that I got back in the 90's.

I still have a model 70 "Lightweight" in .223 that was made in 1988. I got it new then. It has some of the best bluing you will find on any rifle. The walnut stock looks good, but is nothing special.

I have read - and been told - on more than one occasion that model 70 .223s are rare. Winchester just didn't make many of them.

I've yet to find the load that gun likes, but I really haven't shot it that much over the past 20 years.

One thing about my model 70 is it looks and feels solid. The action is extremely smooth, and the bottom metal is metal. Not the crap that they put on most guns nowadays.

I don't know why but the model 70 never gets good remarks for accuracy. Most time folks are negative about the model 70's accuracy.

Let's not forget Carlos Hathcock's Mod 70/30-06, somewhat accurate, and at one time, maybe still true, the Mod 70 Win won more Wimbeldon Cups than all others combined (to include 2010). Because of the extractor, there are those that feel the pre 64, and classic lack "inherent accuracy" when compared to a push feed type bolt, however; the targets tell a different story. Also the first M40's had Mod 70 bottom metal-fact. FN's bolt guns are almost pre 64's, and while they are priceeee, nobody is saying they don't shoot. I guess I just love an old Model 70 (pre 64) and the new classics-they shoot and feel good, I hope every shooter gets a chance to own one (or more) during their life.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: paw print</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Let's not forget Carlos Hathcock's Mod 70/30-06, somewhat accurate, and at one time, maybe still true, the Mod 70 Win won more Wimbeldon Cups than all others combined (to include 2010). Because of the extractor, there are those that feel the pre 64, and classic lack "inherent accuracy" when compared to a push feed type bolt, however; the targets tell a different story. Also the first M40's had Mod 70 bottom metal-fact. FN's bolt guns are almost pre 64's, and while they are priceeee, nobody is saying they don't shoot. I guess I just love an old Model 70 (pre 64) and the new classics-they shoot and feel good, I hope every shooter gets a chance to own one (or more) during their life. </div></div>

I've seen the "push feeds are more accurate" posts all over the 'net. I've never seen any good science or data to prove this though.

Well, since this topic is already up, how about suggestions on a good trigger for the Model 70?

Went shooting today, and after having tuned up triggers on my M700 clones I can't stand the M70 anymore. Its going to have to change.

I think it would be a good choice for a platform to build on. I also have a question of my own that might help is answered correctly. Is the thread pitch from the model 70 tha same as any of the custom Actions?. If so maybe you could pick up a used benchrest barrell from theshooterscorner these benchrest guys are always changing barrels when they are no longer competitive but still very accurate.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sup</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well, since this topic is already up, how about suggestions on a good trigger for the Model 70?

Went shooting today, and after having tuned up triggers on my M700 clones I can't stand the M70 anymore. Its going to have to change. </div></div>

A gunsmith who knows what they are doing can do great things with the factory trigger. If you must go aftermarket I would go with Rifle Basix since they stay very close to the original design which is one of the Model 70s strong points.

A light sanding and buffing with a dremel tool on the trigger and sear will work wonders.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sup</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well, since this topic is already up, how about suggestions on a good trigger for the Model 70?

Went shooting today, and after having tuned up triggers on my M700 clones I can't stand the M70 anymore. Its going to have to change.</div></div>

Jewell, Timney & Rifle Basix