• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Winchester 70 HV

AustinR

Private
Minuteman
Jan 11, 2012
Southern Illinois
Hey guys,

I'm new to the forum and new to bolt action rifles (relatively). I researched getting a new gun for a while and was set on getting a Remington 700 Varmint, but a new one cost $638 with FFL and tax, so I decided to try to find a better deal. Well, I wound up spending $12 more and got this Winchester 70. It's in 308 and is factory bedded in a HS Precision Pro stock. The stock and the stainless barrel convinced me to switch. That and if it was good enough for Hathcock, it's good enough for me.

Link to pictures here

It almost looks like the barrel was proofed twice, but the gun looks to have never been fired. I added a Harris 9-13 fixed bipod, but I'm still not decided on a scope.

Here's a few questions I have:
Is there a way to datecode the USRA serial numbers? (All I know is this rifle was made after 1993)
What does the double proofmark on the barrel mean?
What suggestions do you have for a scope for shots 800 yards and under? (Looking at Leupold, Nikon and Zeiss right now)
Will this be a gun that will hold value as well as a Remington 700 and is there any unique maintenace to keep it in good shape?

There seems to be bits and pieces of information on the Winchester 70 HV (Heavy Varmint) rifles, but not much. Does anyone know much about them?

Thanks,

Austin

Re: Winchester 70 HV

i own nikon, leupold, and zeiss and my favorite would be zeiss out of them three my over all favorite in scopes is nightforce but they dont give them away. Sounds like a nice rifle congrats

First of all, welcome to the 'Hide! Quite ironicly, I chose the Rem 700 Varmit as my first "cause that what snipers use".... ugh I was retarded.... Anyways, so I bought a new model Win 70 (baisicly like yours, but with the CRF), and have found it to be a really nice rifle, definately better out of the box than the cheaper Remington.

These rifles require no real mantinence, besides your regular barrel cleaning.

As far as scopes go, if you can swing $650, take a good look at the SWFA SS 3-9x42, get great reviews on here if you search around a bit.

Here is a SH only google, makes life a bit easier:

http://www.google.com/cse/home?cx=010955838166721108978:qcbx5qqy10o&hl=en

Anyways, hope you enjoy your new rifle,
P.B.Walsh

I'm running a Winchester Model 70 HBV. They are as close to a custom rifle that you will find without having to a pay custom price for it. They are very accurate. Mine is anyway.

You did good.

Thanks for the replies guys! I was looking at longer scopes, like the Zeiss and Leupold 6.5-20s, but I will look at the SWFA SS 3-9x42. I will probably never shoot past 400 yards, but it's nice to know if you want to shoot something at 800 yards, you can see it.

When I looked at the 700 Varmint, I started crunching the numbers on a custom stock and it was pretty easy to hit $900 and still have a cheaper finish (I don't know how 'cheap' it really is, however). It does have the same barrel length and twist as the more expensive 700s...

Great looking rifle!
As far as scopes go, don't overlook the Sightron Slll 6-24x50. Glass is great, very repeatable, and cost is not horrible. I've had very good results with these scopes. Good Luck!!!

I had that same rifle back in the early 90's and loved it. I've kicked myself several times for parting with it as it was a shooter right out of the box. It took a long time to find a factory rifle that would shoot as good as that Win70 HV did.

You did good...

Austin,
Welcome to the Hide
+1 on the Winchester HV.
Just like B Veal mentioned on his post...
Had one as well in the early 90s myself when i started getting back in to shooting.
The rifle would print 1/2 min. 5 shot groups all day long when i did my part,sometimes it would do even better.back then i had a Leupy 24x scope on it.all i did was a trigger job and bedded it.

winchesters certainly do feel solid. look into vortex vipers, great warranties on a good scope

Yeah, I'm planning on holding onto it for a long time. I just am not sure what scope to put on it just yet...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wildcats</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Austin,
Welcome to the Hide
+1 on the Winchester HV.
Just like B Veal mentioned on his post...
Had one as well in the early 90s myself when i started getting back in to shooting.
The rifle would print 1/2 min. 5 shot groups all day long when i did my part,sometimes it would do even better.back then i had a Leupy 24x scope on it.all i did was a trigger job and bedded it. </div></div>

When Winchester announced they where going out of business I ordered a 70 HV 308, I already had one in 22-250. They are outstanding production rifles for the money, mine sits with a Leupold 24x as well.You been looking in my safe Austin?

I have a Zeiss 6.5x20 I picked up from cameraland a few years back, spendy but very nice glass. It sits on my FN SPR, which is a CRF version of what you have.

Where you planning on shooting out to 400 yards at in So. IL?

Targets here. Got a good deal on NATO-good enough to justify getting a 308 over a 22-250, but I plan on going south/southwest and shooting hogs. Right now, it makes the most sense for me to have a gun that's cheap to shoot, but can still shoot a cartridge that can take down small/medium sized stuff. At the moment, it's my first gun other than a shotgun. If I really want something in a smaller caliber, my Dad has an M77 in 22-250 that I could use or a few 17/22s.

I thought about an AR15, but I'm not trying to lay suppressive fire down on any furry woodland creatures (and it always seems that the guys that buy into them are always spending money on em). Plus the initial input cost in making one shoot groups like a bolt makes the Mod 70 I got look cheap.

It's a shame that this state has companies such as Springfield Armory and Rock River Arms and a Winchester ammo plant to put ammo in them, but can't shoot much other than coyotes with a rifle...