• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Winchester 94AE feeding issue

NavyshooterM40

CAPT USN (ret)
Minuteman
Sep 19, 2010
Texas
I have a Winchester AE94 with feeding issues. I replaced the magazine tube spring with a new that was a inch longer hoping it would fix the problem. See attached photo. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Attachments

• 6F7DAE76-5FDD-4EAB-85C0-0740D9033C07.jpeg
    6F7DAE76-5FDD-4EAB-85C0-0740D9033C07.jpeg
    659.3 KB · Views: 137
If there are no rounds in the tube does the follower travel all the way to the action? Ie can you see it if the action is open and rifle is empty?
Going off memory I think there is small screw, going from inside toward outside that can come loose. Either it or the guide rails can bind the incoming round. Maybe it’s called cartridge guide?
Lastly can you take something and gently finagle the round back far enough to cycle? Starting from the position that it is in your picture can round be slid or coaxed back for the round to clear the feed tube I mean.

Last edited:
If there are no rounds in the tube does the follower travel all the way to the action? Ie can you see it if the action is open and rifle is empty?
Going off memory I think there is small screw, going from inside toward outside that can come loose. Either it or the guide rails can bind the incoming round. Maybe it’s called cartridge guide?
Lastly can you take something and gently finagle the round back far enough to cycle? Starting from the position that it is in your picture can round be slid or coaxed back for the round to clear the feed tube I mean.
No when empty the follower is not in the action. I can see it, how far into the action should it go.
I can finagle the round free by moving the lever up and down a little.

So is this a .44 or .45? Are you saying this rifle has never fed the longer round correctly?

If I remember correctly the 94 was designed for longer rounds and has a history of issues with shorter cartridges where the 1892 was for pistol cartridges.

Last edited:
The barrel says 45 Colt. I tried the .44 special as a way to check for possible clearance issue. I got the rifle off gunbroker it has never worked for me. Looks like new, might have had issue from factory?

I have this exact gun and mine feeds 45 colts fine. Are these reloads or factory ammunition?
Im sure you know this but don’t put 44 specials in that thing.

The actions are a little stiff you need to cycle that thing pretty hard when they are new. If you are barely working that action it might give you issues.

Oh! Yeah the 94 in 45 caliber can take a little to get it to work right. Yes probably that way from the factory, although I’m sure it can be made to work right.
Most of my experience is with the model 92 and they slick up nicely with pistol calibers.
Sorry I can’t be more help on here.

Reactions: Badfinger
I have a Winchester AE94 with feeding issues. I replaced the magazine tube spring with a new that was a inch longer hoping it would fix the problem. See attached photo. Any recommendations would be appreciated.
I believe if I remember correctly the cartridge guides can be installed backwards. Someone may have taken it apart and reassembled it incorrectly.

Reactions: 1588
I had a 94 AE trapper in 44 mag and 45 Colt carbine like the OP's. They both ran fine but were horribly inaccurate and the .45 bulged cases pretty bad.
They put a bad taste in my mouth for "Winchester" lever guns until fairly recently when I started collecting real Winchesters...
Ever noticed Winchester never chambered any of their original 73's or 92's in .45 Colt?

Reactions: Badfinger
Yes. Was using .44 only to see if it would cycle ok, which it does.

Ok, but does it feed .45LC or have you never tried? A .44 magnum case will fit inside a .45LC so the diameter is way off plus the difference in length. I had the .44 mag version with a 16" barrel. Mine was accurate but only with 240 grains, wouldn't shoot 210s very well.

Ok, but does it feed .45LC or have you never tried? A .44 magnum case will fit inside a .45LC so the diameter is way off plus the difference in length. I had the .44 mag version with a 16" barrel. Mine was accurate but only with 240 grains, wouldn't shoot 210s very well.
Yes. That is the issue it will not feed the .45LC which the rifle is made for. I have tried a couple of brands of 45LC ammo with no luck. I was just trying the .44 special to see if a smaller round would feed. Hoping using it would help in the trouble shooting.

Reactions: Mike_in_FL
Yes. That is the issue it will not feed the .45LC which the rifle is made for. I have tried a couple of brands of 45LC ammo with no luck. I was just trying the .44 special to see if a smaller round would feed. Hoping using it would help in the trouble shooting.

Gotcha. Do you know the history of the rifle? I wonder if it ever worked? I say that because since these were made in both calibers what if Moe, Larry or Curley put the .44 parts in the receiver and a .45 barrel?

FYI, my curiosity got to me so I went to the Numrich GPC website. If you look up the AE94 trails end model there are pictures of the left and right cartridge guides to compare. They're even in stock.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1588