• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Winchester A5 scope

Status
Not open for further replies.

fosberry455

Private
Minuteman
Mar 14, 2021
Canada
Would or can anyone here help me find a Winchester A5 scope?
I do not care if it has been folded in half from the ATV flip, I just need a few parts that are beyond my ability in machining.
OR, can anyone put me in line with a business or person who has deals in this sort of scope.
I have exhausted my limited knowledge of computer searches so once again I am in need of assistance.
Anyone..please.
cheers,
Warren

I wonder if you could use the repo A5 scopes for parts? That way you are not trying to find loose parts for A5 scopes which are about hens teeth anymore.

Excellent question and I would not know the answer until I tore a repro A5 down and compared
As with most repro scopes the external look is good but the internals are not even close and most junk unless the parts are modified.
I have had to modifty a large number of the repro British No. 32 scopes just to get them to hold zero and track .
Also, it would be so nice if components would interchange, but have not found one that I could use repro parts in a real one.
Most, not even the screws....
Also, most of the A5 scopes are beat to snot but anything is better than nothing in parts. I am looking at getting some parts made but I am not talented enough to machine precision scope parts....I can do a lot but it takes me forever to do one item.

Reactions: M77 and ZG47A
Excellent question and I would not know the answer until I tore a repro A5 down and compared
As with most repro scopes the external look is good but the internals are not even close and most junk unless the parts are modified.
I have had to modifty a large number of the repro British No. 32 scopes just to get them to hold zero and track .
Also, it would be so nice if components would interchange, but have not found one that I could use repro parts in a real one.
Most, not even the screws....
Also, most of the A5 scopes are beat to snot but anything is better than nothing in parts. I am looking at getting some parts made but I am not talented enough to machine precision scope parts....I can do a lot but it takes me forever to do one item.
Have you tried contacting Montana Vintage Arms?

Reactions: fosberry455
Would or can anyone here help me find a Winchester A5 scope?
I do not care if it has been folded in half from the ATV flip, I just need a few parts that are beyond my ability in machining.
OR, can anyone put me in line with a business or person who has deals in this sort of scope.
I have exhausted my limited knowledge of computer searches so once again I am in need of assistance.
Anyone..please.
cheers,
Warren

I have an original Winchester A5 scope with a broken reticle, but I think everything else is in working order. Let me know if you want it, the only thing I ask in return is that you post some cool A5 stuff when you get around to modifying it for your project. Also, I see that you're in Canada and I don't know if a scope this old falls under ITAR, so I'll only ship it to a US address (you'll have to drive it up or export it or whatever). Just shoot me a message with your name and a US mailing address, and I'll get it sent out asap.

RENkIzT.jpeg

4Qp7WyU.jpeg

I have an original Winchester A5 scope with a broken reticle, but I think everything else is in working order. Let me know if you want it, the only thing I ask in return is that you post some cool A5 stuff when you get around to modifying it for your project. Also, I see that you're in Canada and I don't know if a scope this old falls under ITAR, so I'll only ship it to a US address (you'll have to drive it up or export it or whatever). Just shoot me a message with your name and a US mailing address, and I'll get it sent out asap.

RENkIzT.jpeg

4Qp7WyU.jpeg
Good man. Shit that's nice of you.

WOW and THANK YOU is all I can say!!!!! I am rather speechless!!!!
Please give me your email address and my chum in the USA can probably take it apart and send the parts I need.
I am not sure about none military scopes being under ITAR as one never knows what they classify as military spec.
As we used to say, "It does not have to make sense, it is government policy"
cheers,
Warren

Last edited:
I am sure I can repay the favour....somehow.
Please check your email
I am beyond words.....:)
Really.
I have been at this project for a long time and I just finished splitting and re-gluing several of the lenses.
When it is all done I will post some pictures as I might be able to build another one with parts to use to duplicate.

I am sure I can repay the favour....somehow.
Please check your email
I am beyond words.....:)
Really.
I have been at this project for a long time and I just finished splitting and re-gluing several of the lenses.
When it is all done I will post some pictures as I might be able to build another one with parts to use to duplicate.

The Winchester A5 scope was mailed out today, I sent you a message with tracking information (it should arrive on Saturday). Please keep us posted on your project and I hope you enjoy your new (old) scope!

THANK YOU does not even begin to express my gratitude.
I am really at a lose for words....
Once finished I will post some pictures of the completed scope and possibly the entire scope and rifle as I do have an extra rifle and might be able to get a chum to machine some bases for me.
I do have some old bases and some might just do the job with modifications that are not beyond my capabilities with machine tools

When I am finished my A5 project, and if there is a spare rear mount and or parts I will contact you.
Drop me a PM with what you need for the rear mount or do you need the entire mount?
I will be (hopefully) making a few parts, so keep in touch.
cheers,
Warren

Reactions: USMCSGT0331
Did you make any progress with this repair?

I have a friend that has an A5 with a broken reticle he needs fixed.

I have not had time to start the repairs on the A5, as I have a few scopes on the bench to finish off
I also have to check the size of the reticle wire and make sure I have the correct size
I do have a lot of different sizes of wire for a great many types of scopes, so if you want to drop me a PM with your info I can contact you regarding your chums scope.
cheers,
Warren

Reactions: camocorvette
IMPORTANT !!!!! The tube in the video has just been buggered....
The screw holding the cross hair element is a RIGHT HAND THREAD!!!! and to remove the cross hair housing it threads into the cross hair retaining housing and not OUT!!!
If you turn it left you force the collar through the tube hole enlarging it allowing the housing to slop around and usually strip the head of the screw..
The entire cross hair assembly comes out the rear of the scope with the screw turned INTO the holder.
The screw has an inverted cone on the head and I can see the damage to the hole and the tube from just looking at the tube in the video!!!!
I have a picture of what happens when you take the screw out as a conventional screw.
The collar on the screw is LARGER than the HOLE in the tube.
I will post a picture of the screw and the cross hair holder as soon as I find it on my phone.
I keep a record of all the little foibles of scope repair on the scopes I work on and just have to find it.....
Found them .....
Picture two is what happens when you back the screw out.
When this happens I have to planish the tube and get it back to dimension for the screw head.
I have the mandrels to repair this and also another tool to remove the erector cell from the OG end.
You can see on picture #1 the reverse cone head on the screw and on picture #2 how I get most A5 scopes...

Attachments

• A 5 screw.jpg
    A 5 screw.jpg
    527.5 KB · Views: 52
  • A 5 slot.jpg
    A 5 slot.jpg
    539.7 KB · Views: 52
IMPORTANT !!!!! The tube in the video has just been buggered....
The screw holding the cross hair element is a RIGHT HAND THREAD!!!! and to remove the cross hair housing it threads into the cross hair retaining housing and not OUT!!!
If you turn it left you force the collar through the tube hole enlarging it allowing the housing to slop around and usually strip the head of the screw..
The entire cross hair assembly comes out the rear of the scope with the screw turned INTO the holder.
The screw has an inverted cone on the head and I can see the damage to the hole and the tube from just looking at the tube in the video!!!!
I have a picture of what happens when you take the screw out as a conventional screw.
The collar on the screw is LARGER than the HOLE in the tube.
I will post a picture of the screw and the cross hair holder as soon as I find it on my phone.
I keep a record of all the little foibles of scope repair on the scopes I work on and just have to find it.....
Found them .....
Picture two is what happens when you back the screw out.
When this happens I have to planish the tube and get it back to dimension for the screw head.
I have the mandrels to repair this and also another tool to remove the erector cell from the OG end.
You can see on picture #1 the reverse cone head on the screw and on picture #2 how I get most A5 scopes...
Have you posted the 2nd video? I have an A5 that needs reticle repair, objective and eyepiece lenses cleaned and relaminated. What do you recommend for lens repair and or can I send the reticle and lens to you for repair?

Drop me a PM with your email address and then I can take a look at the scope and your problems on email..
I was not the one who posted the video, I was just trying to keep someone from buggering up their scope by forcing the reticle holder screw through the tube and damaging it.
The screw to remove the reticle block threads INTO the reticle block and not out, just enlarging the hole to the point the reticle is loose in the tube.
The original method of retaining the reticle holder is a real mickey mouse way of doing it and I wonder why it was ever done that way but who am I to second guess an engineer or scope designer.. I just try and fix the damned things !! :oops:
cheers,

Thanks for the info...I will try and contact them.
WOW !!!! what a craftsman...I just looked at his site.
I could not find the A5 mount nor parts for it, however
I need a grasshopper spring.

Steve Earle Products has them
Thanks for the info...I will try and contact them.
WOW !!!! what a craftsman...I just looked at his site.
I could not find the A5 mount nor parts for it, however
I need a grasshopper spring.
give them a call as they have things not shown. I bought one from him.

Lawdy.
You wanks have to take it to PM's.
Talk about a international blow it.
Dumb fucking move.
Warned you.....now act appropriately.

Do you not understand the world we live in these days ? I'm thinking no, not a bit, we'll fuxor it bigtime.
Get this thread killed..... NOW!!!

• Haha
Reactions: pmclaine
Well I guess it’s all about prospective.

I have found this thread interesting and informative.

@n2ishun what has you so upset with this thread and exchange of information?

Guessing it was a Grindr hookup in the wrong thread.
Wanks, blowing, fucking... Yep, sounds like a hookup gone wrong (or right, but I wouldn't be so upset over any of that, personally) to me.

Now on the subject of Winchester scopes (and similar), I don't suppose anyone has some photos of them attached to old Mauser sporting rifles and/or in side-rail mounts on vintage guns, eh?

Status
Not open for further replies.