• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Winchester Brass Plant?

Pocoloco

Private
Minuteman
Dec 29, 2013
West Texas
Winchester doesn't seem to be getting any rifle brass to distributers. Has anybody heard of the plant closing or having problems EPA etc.?

I know Federal has been putting the vast majority of their production in to the ready for sale ammo. I would think the same would go for Winchester. I took me 10 months to get the Fed 215m primmer.

I haven't heard any such thing. It is my understanding that Winchester makes brass for several other companies and applies the various headstamps. It may be that they are making those runs right now rather than WW.<script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/e43f3fd0/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script>

I have been looking for some Winchester brass in 6.5x55 and 7mm08 for a long time now. So far no luck finding any. I like Winchester brass.

Many calibers are run once or twice a year to meet estimated demand. Production lines have to be changed from one specific cartridge to another.

I have been looking for some Winchester brass in 6.5x55 and 7mm08 for a long time now. So far no luck finding any. I like Winchester brass.

Those two have been Imposable to find for quite a while.
I also like Win brass.
One of my local shops has a fair amount of older Win 243 brass and I buy a few bags everything I'm in town for my 260.

Got lucky for once.

The last Winchester brass I bought was for my 300 WinMag and that was over a year old when I got it. I have 7 bags of 50 for when my Fed brass is no longer reloadable.

The buyer for my work said not too expect any components from Winchester until next March. But I'm in Canada so you down south might be in a different boat

Fleet farm up here has win 7-08 sittin on the shelf... Lots of other win brass too

I'd suspect that there are simply higher margins on loaded ammo and as long as they can sell as much of that as they can make there is little incentive to sell the individual components.

Meanwhile Im' curious what everyone has been using. I've gotten into the reloading thing after the Sandyhook disaster and starting out now half the stuff that everyone says they use is almost unobtainable.

It would appear the only options with any availability are Hornady and Lapua. Lapua is only slightly more than Hornady and I'm thinking I might just bite the bullet and buy some hoping it will last me a long time.

I have seen quite a bit of 270 brass show up in a new black and reed package lately

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm sure many of the reloading components we are all missing have been going to filling backorders of manufactured ammo. Once the shelves are full again with boxed ammo, the individual components will start coming back. The good news is my local Sportsmans Warehouse now has their ammo shelves pretty much full up...

I heard they have already manufactured all the Win brass they are going to in 2014.

Both bags.

Is this stuff really that unobtainium everywhere else!? I shit you not, the shelves are packed full of it around here...

Is this stuff really that unobtainium everywhere else!? I shit you not, the shelves are packed full of it around here...

Last time I was back home in MN I found Winchester 243, 7mm-08, and 223 brass fairly easily, but I can honestly say, high volume shooting of rifles just isn't nearly as popular in MN as it is in CO, NM, TX, WY, etc (places I travel frequently).

I'm flying back to MN tomorrow and I plan on grabbing a couple more bags of win 7mm-08 brass if it's still on the shelf as I'm moving away from Lapua brass. Lapua is great but spendy, and it just plain sucks when you overcook a bunch and it's junk. At half the price and a little more prep work the Win brass shoots just as well in my rifle although it takes about an extra .5 gr of powder for the same speed out of it.

For guys that are looking, try giving this place a call. Gunstop Reloading Supplies

Edit: Looks like gunstop has 5 bags of Winchester 243 brass in stock.

Last edited:
Cabela's and Bass Pro have/have had Winchester .30-06 brass recently.

My local BP has some on the shelf as of last weekend.