• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Winchester in need of wood

SquarePizza

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 9, 2012
NY
First off, I would like to say hello to the members of Sniper's Hide, this is my first post.

I hit a SNAFU in my build, and would greatly appreciate some input.

<span style="font-weight: bold">The Question:</span> Can anyone recommend some nice wood stocks that are offered for Winchester actions? I kind of like the Joel Russo A5 style in walnut, are there any other options out there?

I am looking for something comfortable to shoot in a variety of positions, not just prone. Though prone is 90% of my shooting.

Why wood?.... Cause I like it(goals outlined below).

<span style="font-weight: bold">The problem:</span> I have a mid-70s Winchester M70, long action 243, VERY heavy barrel, and some rough factory wood. I called up CDI and got a very beautiful set of bottom metal. Oops, I knew I would have to inlet the stock, but I did not know the receiver would need to be inletted as well. =(

So, in the mail the rifle will go, I hear Jeff will really take care of you.

BUT, since the action is getting cut, I might as well select a final stock and get that done up at the same time. I was just going inlet the factory walnut myself for the short term, but its rough and it looks like the walls are too thin to really support the action.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

<span style="font-weight: bold">The goal:</span> To build a "scout" rifle. I say that in quotes because I am not chasing a Cooper ideal, but rather I wanted a do-most, rifle. Ideally, this would be my last/primary long gun. Game would be from woodchuck to deer or pig. On my land, I can get out to 200 yards without trouble, but I live in the NE, so thick woods are a norm. At local ranges I can shoot 300+, out to a 1000 if I drive over an hour.

So I am not trying to do everything perfect, I just want a useful and fun gun. If I get to shoot a 1000, great, but mostly she is 200-300 yards, medium to small game.

Weight is an issue, I would prefer not carrying a 15lb gun all day, but at 13ish now I am not doing well in that department.

Planned on replacing the stock in the future with something nicer, but first I wanted to accumulate all the things that would require stock inletting (rear sight base, DBM, Trigger).

Sorry for the super long post, I just figured it would help if people knew what I was going for.

Re: Winchester in need of wood

I have poked through Boyds, but most of their winchester stocks are factory profiles. Might as well use a factory stock then.

I really like the Bobby Hart tactical stocks from Stockystocks, but Rem 700 only >=(

Microfit is well... yeah.

Re: Winchester in need of wood

I'd say just go with Joel Russo stocks, they are beautyful and I only hear good things about them, just get it bedded and it should be as good as a Manners unless your going to war..... shame more stock are not produced for the Winchester!