• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Winchester large rifle magnum primers?

Shoottothrill

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 26, 2012
Arizona
Why are these the only primers available for large magnum rifles? Do they suck or something? Looking for primers to reload .300 win mag with H1000 and having trouble finding the Federal 215's?

They are a good primer, they work good with really slow powders or ball powders

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

They work fine in my 7mag, I think they were just the first ones to ship their primers. At my local outfitting store, Winchester pops up more often then CCI or Rem, folk just snatch them up and Mags and shotgun are always the ones left.

The normal Win LRP's suck and have pin hole blow outs a lot. I dont know if the LRM's have the same issue. Something with them removing the coating a few years ago, but not increasing the size of the cup to account for the lack of coating, thus making them ever so slightly undersized.

Have been handloading far longer than I want to admit! With that being said, I've always had great results with Win LRP & LRP Magnum primers! Never a failure. Can't say that for any others but CCI! If pin hole blowouts are occurring, it most likely is due to other issues, either mechanical or load being too hot, or maybe even a headspace issue.

This is a group from my 300 using H1000 with Win Large Magnum primers. I can't object to their quality.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 30
I've used Winchester blue box primers almost exclusively for the last 10 years. I've never had a problem.

Why are these the only primers available for large magnum rifles? Do they suck or something? Looking for primers to reload .300 win mag with H1000 and having trouble finding the Federal 215's?

Because they suck? they are all mil spec