• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Winchester m70 sniper build

Jgrovem110

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
May 6, 2018
Hey all I want to build a Nam era m70 sniper , I’m hoping for parts list and specs I will need to create to one thanks!

My saga....

Saw a 10X Unertl 1.25 inch Target at my local a few moments ago.

Silver mounts with some freckling was $695 I think.

Its what I run on mine.

Gonna do some ammo testing tomorrow.

I didnt pick it up and look at it.

For all I know it has no lenses but I doubt it.

Its what I paid for the one on my Model 70 5 or 8 years ago.
I have no doubt. Though these beauty's have their own limited demand, they have increased in price. I paid more than that for mine but I also had to buy an entire other gun to get it. I estimate I'm legitimately into mine in good condition with caps, spring and mounts for $900

Reactions: pmclaine
If you do it correctly not a lot to do. Buy a clip slotted target rifle. Buy or build a correct era stock. Fit barrel into channel. Add scope of your choice. Done.
If you try cutting corners, get impaitent etc you are in for an expensive, frustrating, time consuming ride.
Price
Target rifle 2000.00
Stock 1000.00
Scope 800.00-900.00

Not being in a position to get a pre 64 action I used the post 64 I had. The stock is a pre 64. The barrel is a douglas, the proper taper, length, and twist. The scope is a Malcolm repro, the optics are good but the adjustments in the rear mount- well the aren’t great.
love shooting this rifle.
8381EE26-642C-4B8B-AE07-22AE172DE075.jpeg

Not being in a position to get a pre 64 action I used the post 64 I had. The stock is a pre 64. The barrel is a douglas, the proper taper, length, and twist. The scope is a Malcolm repro, the optics are good but the adjustments in the rear mount- well the aren’t great.
love shooting this rifle.View attachment 7632869

Groups?

What load?

I’m hoping for parts list and specs I will need to create to one thanks!
Only 4 or 5 options really:
1. Pre-64 target rifle with clip slot (ideal) or no clip slot? (caliber 30-06 of course)
2. Sporter checkered stock w/ original buttplate that has been enlarged for barrel profile, or a fatter Target stock with higher comb & orig buttplate?
3. 24" WRA or Douglas medium heavy in original WRA profile (.79" at muzzle) or 26" straight-taper Douglas barrel? (makes the rifle front heavy).
4. Optics: vintage 8x or 10x Unertl (ideal); vintage 8x or 10x Lyman SuperTargetSpot (some used per Jim Land (USMC ret.), a repo 8X Leatherwood, or a vintage 1960s era cheap Japanese 3-9x scope purchased from a PX in Okinawa (something like an old Tasco or Bushnell comes to mind). Or a vintage 2.2x M84 scope if the base M70 rifle is just a pre-64 Sporter rifle with standard/skinny hunting barrel w/ standard iron sights, and standard Sporter stock.
5. vintage green web sling, or vintage 1907 leather sling (both are correct based on pics)

Attachments

• Model_70s_Senich1 - Copy.jpg
    Model_70s_Senich1 - Copy.jpg
    304.2 KB · Views: 145
  • Van_Orden_Chandler_DFA_Vol-1_pg_48_v2.jpg
    Van_Orden_Chandler_DFA_Vol-1_pg_48_v2.jpg
    355.5 KB · Views: 158
  • NRA_USMC_M70_on_display.JPG
    NRA_USMC_M70_on_display.JPG
    392.1 KB · Views: 199
  • Vietnam era M70 sniper rifles1.JPG
    Vietnam era M70 sniper rifles1.JPG
    62.8 KB · Views: 127
  • Vietnam_era_M70.jpg
    Vietnam_era_M70.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 150
Last edited:
Reactions: Jgrovem110
Only 4 or 5 options really:
1. Pre-64 target rifle with clip slot (ideal) or no clip slot? (caliber 30-06 of course)
2. Sporter checkered stock w/ original buttplate that has been enlarged for barrel profile, or a fatter Target stock with higher comb & orig buttplate?
3. 24" WRA or Douglas medium heavy in original WRA profile (.79" at muzzle) or 26" straight-taper Douglas barrel? (makes the rifle front heavy).
4. Optics: vintage 8x or 10x Unertl (ideal); vintage 8x or 10x Lyman SuperTargetSpot (some used per Jim Land (USMC ret.), a repo 8X Leatherwood, or a vintage 1960s era cheap Japanese 3-9x scope purchased from a PX in Okinawa (something like an old Tasco or Bushnell comes to mind). Or a vintage 2.2x M84 scope if the base M70 rifle is just a pre-64 Sporter rifle with standard/skinny hunting barrel w/ standard iron sights, and standard Sporter stock.
5. vintage green web sling, or vintage 1907 leather sling (both are correct based on pics)
The Lyman Alaskan is the civilian version of the M84 scope, right?

Where can one find a steel buttplate? The one on mine is hard plastic

I have steel 70 buttplates for 70’s. Standard a d marksman types.

Ok PMac here they are . It isn't as "shiny" as what it appears in the photos. As I said in an earlier post, it really isn't anything special. Just a well taken care of old hunting rifle. Oh, and I did get a Lyman Super Target Spot bought yesterday
IMG_20210612_084610.jpg
IMG_20210612_084035040.jpg
IMG_20210612_084534.jpg

Reactions: pmclaine
The Lyman Alaskan is the civilian version of the M84 scope, right?
Nope, the M84 is different from the Lyman Alaskan. The M84 is a military scope designed in 1945 and went into production around 1951, and was primarily used on the M1D sniper rifle. It's has hinged covers over the turrets with an elevation BDC set-up for the 30-06 round.

The M81/M82 were the military version of the 1930's era commercial Lyman Alaskan scope, and were used primarily on the M1C sniper rifles. They have 'coin-slot' turrets with screw-off caps, that are friction based, and were designed as commercial items prior to WWII.

Attached is a picture of a well-worn M70 that was reportedly a Vietnam era improvised M70 sniper rifle that was recovered by the 101st Airborne. If one wants to build a reproduction of such a rifle w/ vintage rings/mounts, this is the best picture, and the only color one I have ever seen.
Also attached is a picture of a real vs repo M84 scope (repo scope is in the back of picture). (Real ones in this condition are well over $1k these days, and the repo's are about $400). Last picture is a real M82 w/ patina and the old G&H M1C scope mount (this is pricey set-up). I hope that info helps.

Attachments

• M70_M84_scope.png
    M70_M84_scope.png
    469.6 KB · Views: 388
  • M84s_angleview.jpg
    M84s_angleview.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 131
  • M82_scope_2018_1.JPG
    M82_scope_2018_1.JPG
    151.8 KB · Views: 139
Last edited: