• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Winchester Mod 70 in .270win

diver9

Private
Minuteman
Jun 16, 2011
For Christmas my grandfather gave me this rifle with a synthetic stock and a blued 24 inch light to medium thickness barrel. its only a few years old and hardly ever used except for a couple hunts in Kansas and Montana. my question is what kind of accuracy should i expect from this gun out to 600 yards and what kind of groups can it produce at 100 yards. thanks in advance.

Re: Winchester Mod 70 in .270win

Best way to find out is to go shoot it with a variety of ammunition.

Diver9,

First thing, if the barrell is not free floated, take it to a gunsmith and have it done, or if you can do it yourself, do it.

The. .270 is an EXCELLENT round. Ellenor O'Conner, the wife of famed African big game hunter, Jack O'Conner, with the exception of the Cape Buffalo and African Elephant, took every Big game animal on the African continent with the .270Win. I think back then they called it the 7x57.

As Tyler mentioned, try it with a variet of ammo. I zeroed my cousins .270 for him and went through several different brands, weights, etc. of ammo before I found one that would settle down within 1 MOA.

Good shooting.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Killer Spade 13</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Diver9,

First thing, if the barrell is not free floated, take it to a gunsmith and have it done, or if you can do it yourself, do it.

The. .270 is an EXCELLENT round. Ellenor O'Conner, the wife of famed African big game hunter, Jack O'Conner, with the exception of the Cape Buffalo and African Elephant, took every Big game animal on the African continent with the .270Win. I think back then they called it the 7x57.

As Tyler mentioned, try it with a variet of ammo. I zeroed my cousins .270 for him and went through several different brands, weights, etc. of ammo before I found one that would settle down within 1 MOA.

Good shooting. </div></div>

THE 270 and 7X57 ARE TWO COMPLETELY DIFFERENT ROUNDS!!!

Before you free float the barrel shoot it and find out the accuracy. Most of the time it will shoot really good just the way it comes from the factory. To many people free float their barrel before ever seeing how accurate the gun is and free floating doesn't always make the gun more accurate, sometimes it makes it less accurate.

The 270 Win is a great hunting round. Any factory 270 should shoot 1.5 inches at 100 yards, (most better)

Lets say yours in 1.5, and the heart lung area of a critter is only 12 inchs. 1.5 would keep your rifle in the kill area out to 800 yards, however I've never had the need to hunt big game past 300 yards.

Hummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

I'd shoot it, if its under 2 MOA, leave it alone, fimd some good hunting bullets (dont have to be fancy, 130 grn SSTs are perfect)and enjoy your grandfather's rifle.

Take it out and shoot it. The spec on these rifles from Winchester is a 1.6" group. 1.6 is the max that a Winchester M70 can shoot and still go out the door. I am not sure of the age of your rifle but you can check with Winchester 1-800-322-4626 and see if it is still under warrenty if you have an accuracy issue. If it does not group well with any of the ammo and it has a black plastic stock get a replacement used stock as that more than likely will be your issue. (you can get a used wood or for a few bucks more get a hogue stock for under $150.00) Rebed to the new stock and you will be happer with the groups. You can also ajust the trigger a little and that may improve the groups as well.

You are correct, reelman.
Got my facts mixed up.
Elanor O'Conner shot the 7x57 Mauser and her husband, Jack, shot the .270 win.

But she did take all of the African game animals, with the exception of those noted, with the 7x57.

thanks everyone and i know this topic by now is very old but i took it out and shot it with a leupold 6-20. at 200 yards which is the farthest my local range offers here on the big sandbar with all the anti-gun BS i was able to get 3-4 inch groups pretty consistently off the bench. its got way less then 150 rounds through it and for living on the east coast the rifle and round are really out of there element when the farthest shots you can see around here are less than 100 yards. i really like the rifle and its built like a brick shit house but im looking to sell it. what would you say the ballpark price would be?

My curiosity is sparked now. I have an M70 in the closest with a closed bottom stock. I want to convert it to a wood stock with a floor plate. Can I justs buy bottom metal for the conversion?