• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Winchester Mod70 action for precision build?

porridgebird

Badger 338
Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 7, 2018
Is anybody using Winchester model 70 actions for their builds these days? That is all I used to use back in the 80's and 90's. I'm not referring to the newer rifles Winchester is currently manufacturing but the American made ones either pre 64 style extractor or post. It doesn't matter to me. the most economical would be the post push pull feed. Anyway, what do y'all think?

I’m not a hater. But if you’re starting from scratch, why use a m70 as opposed to the myriad modern custom actions available?

I have a mod70 in 300 win mag. got it cheap. the action is too small to build anything bigger than that I'm finding out. but I'll probably put a good barrel, stock and trigger on it and keep it a 300 win ,mag. I probably will get a custom action for the elr game. I have a 338 lapua custom build but its expensive to feed. I was thinking of a 300 prc,. what do you think about barrel life of that round compared to 300 win mag?

My favorite action.

Flat bottom, integral lug, 3 pos safety and that extractor. What’s not to like? Triggers on the older ones were better I think but still simple enough and can be made nice.

Biggest two reasons why they’re not more popular: There isn’t much of an aftermarket for them with chassis or DBM and you need a smith to chamber and do the extractor cut in the barrel.

My WSM mag box can load a bit over 3” oal so going to tebarrel from 6.5 to 7 SAUM.

PCR did mine and I love it, LRI also does great things with the M70.

LRI put two together for me. I'd call them more of a precision lightweight hunter then precision though. I do like the claws and 3pos safeties more then the Rem even though there is a lot more support for Rem.

20201030_175046.jpg

One thing about pre-64 M70 actions is that if you blow a case- admittedly an unlikely event- the brass bits will blow back at your face on the left side of the action. There is nothing over there to stop it.

I have one in 338 WM and my great old gunsmith in Arizona pointed that out to me one time when I asked him about those actions. He had some fix IIRC that involved putting a flange on the bolt shroud that would direct gasses at a 90* angle.

M70 actions sure look small compared to the current crop of custom actions.

Reactions: RTH1800
I just had a 7-300 PRC built on a push feed model 70. Bartlein barrel and timney trigger. I love it. Aftermarket parts/accessories are scarce compared to R700 footprint actions or even Tikka actions, but if you do your research and get your parts gathered up ahead of time it isn’t too bad. I would definitely make sure your smith is familiar with them (if you’re not doing the work yourself) as they do have their quirks from talking with mine. I shot mine in a match this summer and it definitely out shoots me 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: Stoweit
I always liked the push feed 70's over the Rem 700's, had a few of them and they ran just fine.
People would bitch about how much better the claw extractor pre 64 ones are and then buy a 700 with the
worst extractor ever.

I have two 7 SAUM's built on the controlled round push feed (CRPF) WSM actions. Great actions with a mag box length of 3.05", 3 position safety, mechanical ejector, 2 piece trigger. These are very similar to aftermarket/custom "controlled round feed" actions. The only down side is that stocks/chassis are pretty much limited to Mcmillan, HS Precision and MDT. PTG is the source for bottom metal. I have one more action that's begging to be a 6.5 PRC or SAUM.
IMG_4692.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: jwood1284
I have two 7 SAUM's built on the controlled round push feed (CRPF) WSM actions. Great actions with a mag box length of 3.05", 3 position safety, mechanical ejector, 2 piece trigger. These are very similar to aftermarket/custom "controlled round feed" actions. The only down side is that stocks/chassis are pretty much limited to Mcmillan, HS Precision and MDT. PTG is the source for bottom metal. I have one more action that's begging to be a 6.5 PRC or SAUM. View attachment 7518657
Where did you get the work done? I have the same action that came from the “shadow” models. I figured it would be a great 6.5/7 saum action since my 300 wsm could be seated out to 3.2 without issue. Lol.

I have two 7 SAUM's built on the controlled round push feed (CRPF) WSM actions. Great actions with a mag box length of 3.05", 3 position safety, mechanical ejector, 2 piece trigger. These are very similar to aftermarket/custom "controlled round feed" actions. The only down side is that stocks/chassis are pretty much limited to Mcmillan, HS Precision and MDT. PTG is the source for bottom metal. I have one more action that's begging to be a 6.5 PRC or SAUM. View attachment 7518657

MDT, KRG, and McRees each make a chassis for these FN actions...

Where did you get the work done? I have the same action that came from the “shadow” models. I figured it would be a great 6.5/7 saum action since my 300 wsm could be seated out to 3.2 without issue. Lol.
A guy in Northern Virginia does all my work. PM me if you'd like more details. The pic is from one of the M70 7 SAUMs he built for me. 27" 1:9 Bartlein #9, McMillan A3G. 180 ELDm at just over 2900 FPS. I think the marked first shot on target was more me than the cold, clean bore. :cool: Took it out to 1100. It definitely hits steel a bit harder than my 260.

Attachments

• IMG_2247.JPG
    IMG_2247.JPG
    626 KB · Views: 72
Which KRG chassis can be inletted for an M70? I don't see anything on their website.

My bad, I meant to say XLR. I have no idea how I confused the two. And XLR is no longer making anything for these actions but they did in the past. While they are very rare, I have seen one in the used market before. There are a few members here with m70/SPR actions in XLR chassis. Specifically, it was the XLR Evo that they made for the m70. Not their best looking chassis if you ask me but still a chassis. If you're going to want one, you'll have to look in the used market and post a WTB ad here.

I hade a "classic" CRF SA built about 20 years ago, .308 in a McMillan A3, still shoots 1/2 moa. I added an X-treme 2 stage a few years ago and really like it.

X-treme M70 trigger

These are two different FN rifles in the XLR I mentioned previously. Pictures and rifles are not mine, they are from other members here.

15790540308761142278083310354508.jpg
15790540118313367905800055949127.jpg
38894E6E-4A42-4C2A-80CD-6BEF667AB174.jpeg.jpg

I had my last hunting rifle built on a Win 70
Win70 CRF Action (pre-MOA) 2000’s
3 panel bolt knob
Aluminum Obendorf bottom metal
Timney trigger 2.25lb
Brux barrel #3 10 twist 300 Sherman
NECG Peep Sights
Bell and Carlson Sporter
Bedded
Cerakoted Black Elite

Unfortunately not in my hands yet, but soon.

The real value in the M70’s, IMO, is OAL flexibility. The std actions can be extended to 3.6”, if you want. Also the CRF and blade ejection are really nice features for handling brass at the range or in the field.

Honestly, ejection is what I hate about push feeds.

I had my last hunting rifle built on a Win 70
Win70 CRF Action (pre-MOA) 2000’s
3 panel bolt knob
Aluminum Obendorf bottom metal
Timney trigger 2.25lb
Brux barrel #3 10 twist 300 Sherman
NECG Peep Sights
Bell and Carlson Sporter
Bedded
Cerakoted Black Elite

Unfortunately not in my hands yet, but soon.

The real value in the M70’s, IMO, is OAL flexibility. The std actions can be extended to 3.6”, if you want. Also the CRF and blade ejection are really nice features for handling brass at the range or in the field.

Honestly, ejection is what I hate about push feeds.

Greetings,
What is your issue with push feed M70 ejection? Trimming / tuning the ejector spring is easy.
John

Greetings,
What is your issue with push feed M70 ejection? Trimming / tuning the ejector spring is easy.
John

By his wording, it seems as if he prefers being able to control the ejection on CRF. Push feeds don't have that flexibility. With CRF, you can ram the bolt backwards into the bolt stop and have your spent brass fly 3 miles away. Or you can gently extract the case and pull back the bolt softly to eject the case right next to you.

A bench block, pin punch, an 8oz hammer and diagonal cutters fixes it quite nicely. I would have a nice little pile 20 pieces of brass after rapid fire strings shooting highpower.
John

Is anybody using Winchester model 70 actions for their builds these days? That is all I used to use back in the 80's and 90's. I'm not referring to the newer rifles Winchester is currently manufacturing but the American made ones either pre 64 style extractor or post. It doesn't matter to me. the most economical would be the post push pull feed. Anyway, what do y'all think?
I have a model 70 chambered in 300 WBY. It had a pencil barrel and cheap stock. I sent it to Blue Mountain Precision to true the action, new CF Bartlein stock, trigger and manner's stock. It's came out great!

Attachments

• extractor cut 1949 M70 280AI 20180819_061015.jpg
    extractor cut 1949 M70 280AI 20180819_061015.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 127
A bench block, pin punch, an 8oz hammer and diagonal cutters fixes it quite nicely. I would have a nice little pile 20 pieces of brass after rapid fire strings shooting highpower.
John
I agree, but this is still one setting. I get that you can make a push feed throw them a mile down to barely coming out. You cannot easily have some stay i. The action for easy removal and some thrown clear with just a flick of the wrist. Parts need changed.

Still I may try to dial back my XPR some.