• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Firearms Winchester Model 70 .25-06 For Sale *Price Drop*

RgrDat

RLTW
Minuteman
Oct 9, 2017
Tucson, AZ
My father recently passed away and left me a few rifles. This Winchester is one of those. The Winchester website serial number look up states that this beautiful rifle was manufactured in 1972 (therefore it is not a "Pre-'64" Model 70 (sorry), but that's nothing I can change. I've spoken with multiple people about what type of Model 70 it is specifically, but no one has been able to tell me with any certainty what they believe it is. It has the "Custom Shop" stamp on the top of the barrel near the action, but I'm not claiming one way or another if it is from the custom shop. I'll post pictures below of all of the markings and the rifle itself and maybe someone can tell me what I have exactly. At the moment, I don't even know what it's worth. If you guys could help me answer some of these questions and/or make me a fair offer to buy it I would be greatly appreciative. Thanks in advance.
IMG_3048.jpeg
IMG_3049.jpeg
IMG_3041.jpeg

IMG_3045.jpeg

IMG_3047.jpeg
IMG_3055.jpegIMG_3056.jpegIMG_3058.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_3040.jpeg
    IMG_3040.jpeg
    716 KB · Views: 444
  • IMG_3044.jpeg
    IMG_3044.jpeg
    582.4 KB · Views: 293
This rifle is a really nice M70 Sporter, although not from the custom shop. The oval “W” proof on the barrel is normal. A custom shop gun will have a second oval with “CS” in it. The recoil pad has also been added, and the iron sights removed. The original would have been a hard plastic plate.

These are generally good shooters, and yours is in excellent condition.

Last edited:
Nice clean rifle, but as stated above, not custom shop. I sold a similar one in .300 Win Mag recently to a friend for $450. You should get at least that and maybe upward of $550-$600.

Picture of Custom Shop proof mark below. (the mark on the right)
IMG_2409.JPG

Reactions: jwood1284
if this is for sale please post a price...
This is a rifle passed down to me from my father of whom passed away just last week. I honestly don't know it's worth, which is part of what I was asking the community here to help me with. If you'd like a number though, I'm gonna say $600. From everything I've read and been told, that seems like a good price or at least a good starting point.

Nice clean rifle, but as stated above, not custom shop. I sold a similar one in .300 Win Mag recently to a friend for $450. You should get at least that and maybe upward of $550-$600.

Picture of Custom Shop proof mark below. (the mark on the right)
View attachment 7296360
Yeah, it does not have the "CS" stamp. I appreciate all the information you provided though. Hopefully I can get it sold so I can buy my new long gun without my wife killing me in my sleep. Anyway, thanks again.

This is a rifle passed down to me from my father of whom passed away just last week. I honestly don't know it's worth, which is part of what I was asking the community here to help me with. If you'd like a number though, I'm gonna say $600. From everything I've read and been told, that seems like a good price or at least a good starting point.
If you want $600 with the scope, I think that is fair and you should be able to get that without having to come down. I sell at a lot of gun shows and what you have is a good value. I see guys with post 64 model 70's asking $800 for something like you have, but of course they don't sell it, they keep bringing it to show after show.

Reactions: Hippy_Steve
At the lake with very limited cell coverage, what's the # for rifle and scope. My ffl will only receive from another ffl.