• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Winchester Model 70 300 WSM options

mtechgunman

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 2, 2010
Colorado
Ok, I've got a Winchester Model 70 in 300 WSM that I'd like to give an overhaul.

It is a hunting rifle with a fairly low round count. I did some searching using both search engines (SH's and google) but couldn't really come up with a whole lot.

First, my end goal is to have a rifle that is basically a step above my 5R in AICS 1.0 (.308) and two steps ahead of my PSS (.308).

I plan on running a McMillan or Manners stock

I'm curious as to what barrels are recommended for the WSM round. Twist rates and barrel length, as well as how heavy a bullet you can reliably push through these rifles. I've heard the heavier bullets don't do as well, and 175/180 gn is about the most accurate, even when using the right twist for say, a 210 gn bullet. Quite frankly, I don't know if any of that is actually true or not.

So-

Which barrel, twist, & length are good for the WSM round?
What gunsmith/company would you recommend for install, as well as other action work?
Does anybody make a DBM for the win 70/300 WSM?
What bullet has had some good success in the 300 WSM department?
Any other thoughts?

I realize I can go buy an FN PBR and still have a winchester style action, but I'm looking for a custom rifle. I'd like to have something you can't go buy off the shelf.

Since I don't hunt with a rifle anymore, I figure this particular one would be a good canidate.

Re: Winchester Model 70 300 WSM options

Rebarrel to a 24" 1-9" 7WSM and poke it in a McMillan. Keep it handy/dandy and you are there.

interesting.

What is the benefit of 7 mm WSM over 300 WSM?

What barrel maker would you suggest?

Great barrels abound,though I bleed PN. The 7mm advantages are increased BC's at increased speed and all the blessings associated with same downrange.

With less recoil.

Typically the 162A-Max.

holy shit!

I just did some checking for components on midwayusa.com, holy hell!

.625 BC on the 162 gn AMAX?
.659 BC on the 168 gn VLD???

I like those numbers!

grin.gif

Your learnin'.

I've heard good things about the combo.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mtechgunman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">holy shit!

I just did some checking for components on midwayusa.com, holy hell!

.625 BC on the 162 gn AMAX?
.659 BC on the 168 gn VLD???

I like those numbers!

grin.gif
</div></div>

.698 BC for the 180 VLD, 2,950 fps with ease win/win

The A-Max terminal affects,coupled with their pricing,will more than pay for the next tube.

Top it.(grin)

'scoe,

Finally found a way to backdoor your Site through The Queen and things is lookin' good.

No 7-08 reamer? BLASPHEMY!

That is a GOOD pic.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: OilyOwl</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The A-Max terminal affects,coupled with their pricing,will more than pay for the next tube.

Top it.(grin) </div></div>

No doubt the Max's have the price thing cornered.......by a fair marign

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: OilyOwl</div><div class="ubbcode-body">'scoe,

Finally found a way to backdoor your Site through The Queen and things is lookin' good.

No 7-08 reamer? BLASPHEMY! </div></div>

Got one, just not listed
grin.gif

Interested in hacking on an HS Precision tube?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: OilyOwl</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That is a GOOD pic. </div></div>

Two years ago, that was Sunday morning. He got by me Saturday evening but I knew he'd be back...........and I'd make him famous
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: OilyOwl</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Interested in hacking on an HS Precision tube? </div></div>

Sure....send it with instructions

Had a Top 10 B&C Buck give a pard the slip last year,while I watched. I kept thinking he was gonna shoot and it never happened...at 30yds.

That one still hurts.

Fuck it,mebbe I'll have you punch it 7WSM and feed it via DBM for a Giggle Rifle.

I'm about 10 days from home and will see if I can't drum you up some bidness. I work with some assholes that aren't very frugal.(grin)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: OilyOwl</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...at 30yds.</div></div>

If your a true friend you'll never let him forget about it.....

Just saying
grin.gif

Don't think that don't come up often over coffee.

Trouble is,he still has no inkling to that Critter's sheer magnitude and I wish I didn't either.(grin)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: OilyOwl</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Fuck it,mebbe I'll have you punch it 7WSM and feed it via DBM for a Giggle Rifle.

I'm about 10 days from home and will see if I can't drum you up some bidness. I work with some assholes that aren't very frugal.(grin)

</div></div>

My 7 Wizzum and 7-300 Wizzum reamers are ground for 168/180's to mag feed in a LA. They work like a charm. 162's would also shine

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: OilyOwl</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Don't think that don't come up often over coffee. </div></div>

He'll try harder next time to dent that primer, I hear they're fairly cheap.

Any idea on COAL to a kiss,in regards to a 162?

Sub 2.9" would horn me up,but I know that's wishfull thinkin'.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: OilyOwl</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Any idea on COAL to a kiss,in regards to a 162?

Sub 2.9" would horn me up,but I know that's wishfull thinkin'. </div></div>

My 7-300 runs right at 3.140"ish with 180's +.010" in

Not sure about the 7 WSM as I dont own one but it's probably real close to the same, 3.130"ish just touching maybe.

As I dont chamber many 7WSM's I really should have the throat on the reamer re-ground to a more suitable hunting length, slightly shorter. Send a dummy with the tube and I'll make it happen

I just pee'd a little.

I shoot (4) 7WSM's,my Montucky and Coyote are throated in accords to your's.

I can kiss lands in the above two,which is where I wanna be on the next pending s/a 700 build.

If you consider the LA for WSM builds and the heavies good things start to happen.........some can’t do it though.

The Wyatt’s Box is full with a WSM at 2.900". The ogive to tip may be slightly shorter on the Amax compared to the Berger VLD which is what I'm measuring. That'd be a good thing if talking SA700 and a Wyatt’s Box.

Glen is the way to go,but I've a stash of parts already in hand.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: OilyOwl</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Your learnin'. </div></div>

No kidding!

Looks like I'll be going down this road for sure.

Thanks for all the replies!

Pictures are mandatory,upon completion.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: OilyOwl</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Pictures are mandatory,upon completion. </div></div>

that's a given

wink.gif