• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Winchester Model 70 Featherweight - Opinions wanted!

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jul 8, 2019
USA
I have the chance to buy a Winchester Model 70 Featherweight in .308 from a buddy for $600.

The rifle is in pristine like new condition used for one hunting trip. It comes with Leopold scope bases and rings.

I would use it primarily to hunt deer and hog in a very humid climate. Will the wooden stock be a problem?

Just wondering your opinion on this rifle and if you would buy something else instead at that price.

Winchester Model 70 Featherweight - 535200228.jpg

http://www.winchesterguns.com/produ...-Current-Products/model-70-featherweight.html

There are lots of variables with the m70. Where was it made? If a newer production then that's probably a ok deal.

Reactions: 013
There are lots of variables with the m70. Where was it made? If a newer production then that's probably a ok deal.

It's the newer production one. I think 2011.

I've had a love affair with the Featherweight since I first laid eyes on it.
I still don't own one though.
Back around '95 I ran across a gorgeous CRF Featherweight in 270 Win. It had a beautiful stock from the factory and I let it slide.
I still kick myself for not buying it.

If you like the look, buy it. You can always pillar bed it if you're worried about the bedding because of humidity.

I dont think $600 is a fire sale price, but if it's a gun you want then its probably decent. I just picked up a stainless 308 featherweight a couple weeks ago. I always liked the Winchester over the Remington for hunting. Plus, if you buy it and dont like it chad at lri can work it over and make it amazing.

Short action M70, 2011 production for $600. He is a friend. I'd buy even if I didn't need it. Even if the stock does not work in humidity, its a great action in a great caliber. Restock it if necessary.

Action Guy

Reactions: 308pirate and 013
Hell yeah that's a good deal.

The wood stock will work just fine. The finish on it is a matte polyurethane that pretty much seals it wherever it's applied. There have been tens of thousands of deer killed over the decades with rifles just like it in the southern US.

Thanks! I’ll pick it up. I have a Leupold vx-3 laying around so it’ll work out well.

Awesome hunting rigs. Smooth actions from the factory, and CRF will chamber a round upside down. Get some Starline brass and 165gr accubonds and kill just about anything. 180gr partitions for thick skinned critters.

I have the exact rifle from about the same time frame.... I actually won mine at a NWTF banquet in a raffle. LOL

Mine shoots well and has become my go to hunting rifle. I live in Alabama so PLENTY of humidity here and I have never had any issues.

I would buy it at that price

That is a sweet deal. I would jump on it if it was just the rifle. With Leupold scope and bases it’s a steal at $600

Love mine from 2013 (.308 as well). I restocked in a Boyd’s for weather stability but honestly it wasn’t needed. Steal of a deal on a great rifle. CRF FTW.

Now you've done it. Midwest Gun Works can be a good source for M70 and FN parts, accessories, etc. If you have a concern about the wood stock, here is a Hogue with an aluminum bedding chassis that runs all the way to the first sling stud. $29.00

My first deer rifle was a model 70 Featherweight in 280. I would like to see a all weather version w a CF stock.

Now you've done it. Midwest Gun Works can be a good source for M70 and FN parts, accessories, etc. If you have a concern about the wood stock, here is a Hogue with an aluminum bedding chassis that runs all the way to the first sling stud. $29.00

Can’t beat that for $29!

If that rifle is not free floated, don't. The Featherweights tend to shoot a little better with a pad toward the tip of the forearm. Generally.

JFR

If that rifle is not free floated, don't. The Featherweights tend to shoot a little better with a pad toward the tip of the forearm. Generally.

JFR

It has a free floated barrel.

Hopefully it shoots great that way.?

JFR

I haven't been able to get out to the range, but I'll shoot it next week.