• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Winchester Model 70 International Army Match

buffalowinter

Freer of the Oppressed
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Mar 17, 2014
    Llano, TX
    Here is a rare gun that I stumbled onto and picked up for a song at auction. It is a Winchester Model 70 International Army Match in .308. There were less than two hundred of these made (I've found two different sources saying 89 (Henshaw) and 179 (Rule)). It's one of those guns that I wanted as a young shooter but it cost more than twice what I paid for my first car. They were only made in 1970, although cataloged thru 1979, and were used for ISU Standard Rifle (a.k.a. Army) Matches in the World Championships and the Olympics. Here is a blurb from another source:

In 1970 the ISSF World Shooting Championships were held at the Ben Avery Range near Phoenix, AZ. One of the events was the 300 meter Standard Rifle match. For this competition Winchester supplied the International Army Rifle: iron sights, no palm rest or hook butt plate in a deep belly stock with a blind magazine. To be sure of making the weight limit the rifles had spruce stocks, light but strong. The AMU’s Jack Foster used his International Army Rifle to win the World Championship in the event.

This rifle came out the Phoenix area, maybe this was Jack Foster's rifle (Whom I knew from my Biathlon days). Anyhow, this rifle can shoot. I shot some 168g Federal Gold Medal match that was made for the RCMP (In retrospect this is probably valuable collector ammo, and I guess I wont shoot it anymore. Got it years ago as the RCMP cancelled a contract and had the dealer offer me special pricing). The group shown is 10 shots @ 100 yards with 175g FGMM.

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/i.imgur.com\/eHKttCZl.jpg"}[/IMG2]

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/i.imgur.com\/m1y1zD4l.jpg"}[/IMG2]

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/i.imgur.com\/K9I8p4tl.jpg"}[/IMG2]

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/i.imgur.com\/9NPPXdUl.jpg"}[/IMG2]

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/i.imgur.com\/emInd5hl.jpg"}[/IMG2]

gyu8Vlol.jpg

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/i.imgur.com\/MzaevHJl.jpg"}[/IMG2]

Last edited:
    Reactions: LG65CM
    Beautiful rifle, but I'll admit I'm partial to Model 70s.

Model 70 Target rifles pop up on the CMP Auction site every now and then. I picked this one up for $501 because it was missing parts. Turned out it was only missing the action screws. It's an AMU across the course gun in 308. Came with blocks but no sights, no problem I have several Redfield Olympic & Palmas. Had the scope blocks too. It turned out to be quite accurate.

DSCN0101.JPG

Also picked up a heavy barreled Model 70 barreled action in 300 WM. Still working on getting it into a stock. Figured it'd made a good 1000 yard match rifle since I put a brake on my other 300 WM 1000 yard gun.

Beautiful rifle Buffalo!

Back when I first got in the 1st Rgr Bn, there was a guy named Sgt. Cook who was training for the Biathalon. I saw him for about six months then he left. Never heard from him again. That was 1981-1982 timeframe.

I thought John Whidden came up with the crown cut back behind the front sight tenon. Interesting to see this from 47 years ago, unless he rebarrel it for the previous owner. Any markings on the barrel?

That's the standard crown as mentioned in the article below taken from "Rifle Magazine", as provided by Marksman in the link above. All International Army's were pretty much built by hand in the Custom Shop.

Rifle Magazine March-April 1978
    At first glance, the hulking M-70 International Army Match Rifle's appearance belies the workmanship that goes into it. With heavy barrel and deep forearm, it has a profile only a dedicated target shooter could love. However, a rifle of this nature is designed for performance, not looks, and there is method behind the grotesque features. And, despite its bulky lines, it is given everything but indifferent treatment in the custom shop. Obviously, everyone involved knows the product will sell only as long as it performs. Stocks for the M-70 Standard Rifle are initially turned on a roughing machine. From there they undergo individual treatment, first being shaped by stockers who smooth the contours. Being without a thumb hole and other trigger-hand rests, the gun is given an abrupt pistol grip for straight-line trigger pull, and this is shaped accordingly. The rifles are then individually bedded with their own barreled action. The entire action and about 1 1/2-2 inches of barrel are bedded in Bisonite by careful craftsmen who use levels to make certain the metallic nucleus is indeed square to the stock. The remainder of the barrel is free-floated. The M-70 Big Bore Standard Rifle is chambered for the .308 Winchester cartridge, a favorite among target shooters, and carries a 1-in-12-inch rifling twist. Barrels are 24 inches long and made by the hammer forging method. The crowning is the deep counterbore type. Special attention is given to the wedding of barrel and action. Big-bore bolt-action rifles, regardless of make, invariably have short threaded shanks, because the front receiver ring offers limited length. This becomes a critical factor when optimum accuracy is sought, as anything but utmost rigidity can have an adverse affect on grouping. Bench rest perfectionists know this weakness well and try to eliminate it by sleeving the action. But sleeves are illegal in ISU events; consequently, other steps must be taken. The Winchester custom shop attempts to establish maximum rigidity by torquing the barrels home with 170 pounds of force! (Editor's Note - That's at least double the torque applied to most bench rife barrels.) This is enough to stretch the pre-cut chamber slightly, and it requires another check of chamber dimensions. If the chamber's original shape has been affected by the torquing pressure, it is touched up by a hand-reaming operation prior to final polishing. The stock carries a rubber butt pad and is finished with a 2-part acrylic lacquer that seals the wood, is durable, and can be worked to a soft warmth with excellent gripping qualities. All M-70 International Army Match Rifles are test-fired before shipping. They must shoot at least I-inch groups for 5 shots over 100 yards before passing inspection. To achieve this end, assemblers work for perfect concentricity. Every effort is made to have the lugs bear evenly. When a certain rifle does not pass firing tests, the lugs are checked and given additional lapping; information supplied me indicates that the occasional balky rifle generally gets that way from uneven lug contact, and added lapping which causes them to bear evenly is a main contributor to improved accuracy. Other minor points are also inspected, such as screw tension, the fit of the bolt handle in its recess, and the muzzle. But I am assured that, because of the care that goes into each assembly step, most rifles pass inspection without any need for final fiddling; and those that do flunk the first go-around are quickly brought within minute-of-angle by very minor adjustments. Apparently, careful assembly, hand bedding and shaping, chamber check-out, test firing, and finalizing gives the M-70 its reputation as well as its price tag of about $530 (at this writing).

Last edited:
    Call me crazy.. but I think the CMP is missing out by not providing a class for rifles like this. IMO they should do a beta/test run of putting on something like a "Vintage Unlimited/Match Rifle" match. Set strict regulations to try and keep the spirit of the class to only vintage target rifles((ie nothing crazy like a Mauser/M1903/etc mil-surp action but with a 28" Bartlein MTU in 6mm BR in a Anschutz stock and Gehmann diopter sights))- keep it to only military-issued/adopted cartridges/ammo...maybe even list specific rifles/blueprints of whats allowed and the corresponding chambering they have to be in: stuff like the Swede CG-63, the Springfield NRA Sporters and International match rifles, Kongsberg M59 & M67 Mauser target rifles, rear lugged/bedded heavy Garands, Finn M28-76 Mosins, and maybe even perhaps pre-63 M70's and possibly 40X's as well as others I cant think of atm. Them last two might hold too big of an advantage..idk.. but IMO personally this is something I think would be a super cool idea. Just like vintage sniper, perhaps make it so only 1950-earlier actions/sights/stock(?) are legal, or something like that. IDK Just a thought. Basically something like NRA High Power Match Rifle, except with a CMP Vintage spin to it.

Last edited:
    Reactions: gswaney
    bullalowinter, thanks for this thread, I didn't know anything about this rifle, but its definitely neat.