• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Winchester Model 70 Long Action? Any Manufactures for decent stocks/DBM?

itieknots7

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 22, 2009
PA
Hello,

I have a late 60's (post 64) Model 70 in 30-06 that was my grand fathers, that I would like to upgrade. It currently sits in a cheap rubber Hogue stock. I've searched google relentlessly for the last couple weeks, and there doesn't seem to be much market support for the Model 70 LA.

1. Are there any stock options out there other then H.S Precision M24 for the LA?

2. Does any company make a bottom metal (AICS removeable magazine) for the Winchester LA (other then Pacific Tool and Gauge, which seem to get poor reviews)?

Thank you!

I’d give McMillan a call. I’m sure they can get you squared away.

Reactions: itieknots7
I would give lri a call and see what they can help you with. Just saw on his Facebook page they are making dbm for the 3.715” ai or accurate mags on a model 70 and have the inletting proofed out with their machines. More than likely he can mill out a blank inlet stock for your action and their dbm

I just bought a 280 rem model 70 in a McMillan A4 and a CDI bottom metal built by RWS. I’d give them a call and they should be able to help ya as well.

Hello,

I have a late 60's (post 64) Model 70 in 30-06 that was my grand fathers, that I would like to upgrade. It currently sits in a cheap rubber Hogue stock. I've searched google relentlessly for the last couple weeks, and there doesn't seem to be much market support for the Model 70 LA.

1. Are there any stock options out there other then H.S Precision M24 for the LA?

2. Does any company make a bottom metal (AICS removeable magazine) for the Winchester LA (other then Pacific Tool and Gauge, which seem to get poor reviews)?

Thank you!
I'm in the same boat as you right now. I have a late model 70 long action (also in .30 Kraut Destroyer) that I'm turning into a .280 AI.

McMillan will inlet just about anything you could want and recently their prices have come down to a more reasonable price. You can get a full inlet for around the $600 mark on most of their stocks.

DBM systems are hard to find, as are mags that work out of the box. The issue is the CRF action. Because the round needs to pop up sooner in a CRF action, mag lips have to be shortened or filed down so that the round can pop up and become captured by the extractor earlier than a push feed action requires.

PTG has a DBM system for a LA Win 70 and it works (I guess), bit it's ugly and a total pig.

Chad at LRI was working on a DBM for these actions, but from what he's told me it's fairly preliminary and it's going to take a lot of work to get right. That's fine, I'm patient.

My $.02? Stay with the internal box mag until someone comes out with a good DBM for these actions and then upgrade.