• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Winchester Model 75 Question

Private
Minuteman
Oct 21, 2019
So we’re 7 days out from watching Die Hard, gentlemen!

I have a rediculous question. I have my dad’s old Winchester Model 75 Target .22LR. I recently pulled it out and took it to the range and it’s more than the tac driver I remember.

I’m interested in trying to find a more appropriate stock to put it in with adjustable length of pull, adjustable comb, and bottom rail for mounting “STUFF”.

The barreled action is mounted to the stock at three points. There is a machine screw that goes from the trigger baseplate to the area of the magazine into the receiver. There is a large metal stud about an inch forward of where the “chamber” portion of the barrel is. There is also a metal strap that wraps around the barrel at the outer fore end of the stock.

Is anyone familiar with or know of the ability to put this barreled action into a moder day stock?

Mrrrchrsmuss!

The Winchester Marksman stock is not bad at all, add a few accessories and a Vintage Winchester can hang with just about anything! My 52C.
IMG_0798.jpeg

IMG_0806.jpeg

So we’re 7 days out from watching Die Hard, gentlemen!

I have a rediculous question. I have my dad’s old Winchester Model 75 Target .22LR. I recently pulled it out and took it to the range and it’s more than the tac driver I remember.

I’m interested in trying to find a more appropriate stock to put it in with adjustable length of pull, adjustable comb, and bottom rail for mounting “STUFF”.

The barreled action is mounted to the stock at three points. There is a machine screw that goes from the trigger baseplate to the area of the magazine into the receiver. There is a large metal stud about an inch forward of where the “chamber” portion of the barrel is. There is also a metal strap that wraps around the barrel at the outer fore end of the stock.

Is anyone familiar with or know of the ability to put this barreled action into a moder day stock?

Mrrrchrsmuss!
I am not familiar with any aftermarket stocks for the model 75. I have some aluminum stocks for small diameter receivers. I will see how close they come to fitting one of my model 75's in.

This is one of the stocks and one of my 75's. The barreled action drops right into the stock. The inletting is correct for the diameter of the receiver and barrel. The magazine opening does not line up and neither does the takedown screw hole. It would take some work but the stock could be used on a 75.

IMG_0841 (2).JPG

IMG_0842 (2).JPG

Reactions: camocorvette
How would I go about getting a stock or chassis like that where I could work it to fit the action and lug properly.

You can do without the barrel screw.....I understand some used them to "tune" the rifle. other let them free float.

Reactions: 168BTHPM
So with limited points of contact for mounting how would you otherwise secure the action to the inlet?

So with limited points of contact for mounting how would you otherwise secure the action to the inlet?
A lot of the small frame .22 target rifles only have a single take down screw and are still very accurate.

Anyone familiar with what type of picatinny rail/curvature will fit the receiver?

Even if you have a rail that matches...there's no holes there in the reciever by the factory.

Its probably just some super common generic round shape. A machinist could measure it in 5 seconds and be like, "you need a 7/8" round base....". And there literally 60 of them out there.

Its just nobody calls it "a Win 75 base" because they never put holes in to match the holes that aren't there.

Well it looks like my idea is completely fucked. After much manipulation of the rifle I learned that it likes to fire when closing the bolt.

In the past I had a gunsmith “fix” the issue by putting in a new firing pin. But upon using it again it’s still happening. I am very familiar with the trigger/sear set up on the rifle. What looks to be the overall problem is that there is so much play and slop in the movement of the bolt from its age and use, as well as play and slop in the entire travel of the trigger that even after re-cutting the angles of the trigger sear and firing pin, that lateral rotation of the bolt during closing causes the sear to release.

I think it’s gonna be R.I.P. for the ‘75. Not worth the work and refit for resolving the massive safety issue for something so old.