• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Winchester rifle/customer service

Woodlanddude

Professional Hillbilly
Minuteman
Jan 26, 2007
Beckley, WV
I wanted to share my recent experience with Winchester with all. I was looking for a light/midweight hunting rifle to fit most of the hunting one can do in the lower 48. After weighing my options I purchased a Win. M70 Extreme SS in 308 about a week and a half before thanksgiving.

My selection was based on the rifles features and weight, but also due to my impressions of the quality and performance of the FN SPR's we had on the mountain for our fall match last year, and the new version of the claw extractor pre 64 action the rifles share. (they are seperate, but sister companies)Upon arrival the rifle looked and handled great. The action was smooth, and the trigger crisp and IMHO the MOA system works as advertised as of a couple of hundred rounds through one.

Shooting the rifle, was disheartening after having quickly become attatched to every thing else about the rifle. The rifle would not shoot a group to save itself. 3-4" Groups no matter what it was fed through 2 scopes, 2 shooters, and 6 or so bullets fed with 3 different powders. 4 factory loads were tried. I called up Winchester and explained my problem. Upon finding out they only guarantee an inch and a half I was skeptic as how things would turn out, but the Mike at customer service encouraged me to send back the rifle if I was unhappy.

Here is where good customer service kicks in. 2 weeks later I called to inquire about the rifle and was happy to find out that not only did they find a problem, but I had a completely new rifle on the way to me that was being built. I recieved it a couple days earlier than quoted via UPS. Upon testing this rifle and breaking it in, I began shooting groups. I was able to get easily sub moa with winchester silver box ammo. With sierra 150's and 150 hornady ssts over 8208 xbr and fed 210's I have already found 2 half moa loads(3 shot groups from cold bore... this is a fluted lightweight hunting barrel) and even with 5 shots groups only went up to about 3/4"!!!!!!!

I am very pleased with this rifle! I carried it a couple days to doe hunt in the mountains, but alas a winter kill last year diminished our herd and its first kill will have to wait. Every mechanical product can come flawed. Winchester made this problem right, and sent me a winner in a reasonable time. I was on the fence about buying a Winchester due to the past changes and QC problems they went through. This rifle and experience has a footing on solid ground for thier comeback in my experience.

Re: Winchester rifle/customer service

I have the exact same rifle: Winchester m70 extreme weather SS in 308 and it also shoots half MOA -when I do my part, which is less often than I'd like.

It truly is a great factory rifle and I'm happy that others are discovering it. I only hope the following grows much like the cult of the Tikka T3 did (albeit, this is more expensive... but comes loaded with more features, better stock, etc though lacks a magazine).