• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Winchester V-Max .17 HMR Ammo?

SmallBoreSnipers

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 15, 2009
Troy, NY
Did they stop making this ammo? Every web site I go to either doesn't sell it anymore or are out of stock. What gives?

Re: Winchester V-Max .17 HMR Ammo?

All 17 HMR ammo is made by CCI. The only difference between one brand and another is the color of the ballistic tip and the head stamp:

CCI, Federal, Winchester, Remington and Hornady all loaded here at CCI in Lewiston, Idaho with a V-max bullet are identical, with the exception of tip color. Manufactured on the same equip, to the same ballistic specs, using the same components other than color of the tip of the bullets. Obviously the shellcase 'head stamp' and packaging would be different on the various products.

Linda Olin
CCI/Speer Technical Services
2299 Snake River Ave.
Lewiston, ID 83501

Buy the cheapest available. Now you migth have noticed brand differences in the past, but what you are experiencing is differences in lots. Retooling, different batches of components, etc. Look under the box to see the lot # stamped on the outside.

^ That's funny I just did a search before I posted this and I found where you pretty much made the same post when members were having some ammo debate. You had rock solid proof so I sided with you.

Sounds funny but i have had hornady 17hmr ammo perform as it should for me.

Every time i buy CCI 17hmr ammo, i get split case necks and stuck cases.

If its only the headstamp thats different why am i experiencing this problem with CCI branded ammo?

Call the CCI toll free number and talk to or just e-mail customer service.
They can track down the lot # of your ammo with neck splits and get you squared away.
You may even get the ammo in question swapped out for fresh stuff for free.

[email protected]
Technical Services: 1-866-286-7436

I've just always used the Winchester vmax because Varmint Al did a test on like 5 different brands in a .17 HMR and the Winchester gave the best results by far. It worked pretty well for me, so that's all I've ever used in my 17.