• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Advanced Marksmanship wind call videos

anthonylapoint

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Nov 8, 2011
central CT
Im looking for videos or articles that will help me with better wind calls. Something that will break down mirage and winds from multiple directions and speeds out to distances of at least 1500m. Since ballistic calculators only consider one wind input, am I more or less averaging the winds? Im a visual learning and need it broke down Barny style. Thanks

Re: wind call videos

Get Jim Owens reading the wind DVD. You can get it through Creedmoor or just go to his web site at JarHeadTop.com. It's a decent DVD on reading the wind and gives a decent explanation on reading mirage. Once you have a good understanding, take your sotting scope outside and watch the mirage. Other than that, you can't get any better practice than going out and shooting in the wind. You'll learn pretty quick. Hope that this helps.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SavageMOA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Im looking for videos or articles that will help me with better wind calls. Something that will break down mirage and winds from multiple directions and speeds out to distances of at least 1500m. Since ballistic calculators only consider one wind input, am I more or less averaging the winds? Im a visual learning and need it broke down Barny style. Thanks</div></div>

What it appears you want is to be able to counter for wind and weather effects. Also, at the distance you want to get good hits, minuscule angular error between bore at rest and line of departure becomes a major problem. Therefore, unless you've had some formal marksmanship training which has touched upon the factors of a steady position where the apocalyptic stuff was revealed to you, you may benefit from more than just a session on wind and weather effects/counters. If this be the case, I'd suggest the USAMU's Service Rifle Guide which is available from the CMP's E-Store. While this guide only touches upon the long range rifle, it covers all maters of marksmanship important to good hits at LR.

Thanks, im going to check them all out. It does come down to more practice to judge the winds better. Thanks again

Just picked up a copy of The Wind Book for Rifle Shooters
to look over. Thanks for the headsup Memilanuk
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bigsky23</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just picked up a copy of The Wind Book for Rifle Shooters
to look over. Thanks for the headsup Memilanuk
wink.gif
</div></div>

Me too! Thanks Memilanuk!