• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report Wind effect through "tunnel" of trees

Gruffskin

Private
Minuteman
Oct 26, 2009
FW, Texas
Shooting last weekend at 446 (laser) in a savage 12 .308 with the 155 scenars I noticed some strange things with regaurd to the wind. I was shooting down a "tunnel" of trees with a few gaps (5-15 yard gaps) in the tree lines on the way to the target. Wind was full value 15-25 mph. What I noticed is that the near gaps in the tress, 125 yards seemed to have a greater effect than the gaps that were closer to the targets at 446. there were two gaps where the wind was noticable one at 125 and the other around 300. I noticed that at 200 yards shots would impact 4 inches left of POA. at 446 they still ended up 4-4.5 inches left of POA.
My question is when looking to make a long range shot at a deer how can one accuratly estimate wind that is only at full value in spots along the trajectory? near and far.

Gruff

Re: Wind effect through "tunnel" of trees

Trajectory will be more effected by a wind at the muzzle compared to wind farther from the muzzle.
Buy the program Shooter Ready. It will help you understand the effects of wind. Along with a lot of other things.
http://www.shooterready.com/

You can't wind is invisible, which is why it is more important to know what it is doing at the shooter. On top of that, as you go farther out the bullet is higher in the air thus the wind is traveling faster than you have recorded near the ground... further more, wind is like water, when you funnel it through objects, it goes faster... think of a white water rafting, what is happening to create rapids.

The good part is, it will move only the difference in the gusts, which can be very small, or if you blow it completely much larger.

Wind ebbs and flows, if you record a 5MPH wind at ebb and then an 8 MPH at the flow, it never drops to dead zero. Many people mistake the lack of sound for a lack of wind. You get used to the lows and are more likely to only register the highs, but trust me, it never goes away, it's just changing its mind, at that moment in time.

You can't ever know what is it doing downrange, you best bet, picking a caliber that can handle the changes better than something else. Know how terrain will effect the flow and know where you bullet is during the flight towards the target... trying to figure wind at the target is a losing prospect, dope the wind at you, as your experience increase you can increase your knowledge of what is taking place downrange but you will never know for certain like you can at you the shooter. Why I call it the difference between the "Science Dept." and the "Art Dept." It's science at you and all about the art downrange.

You guys dont f##k around. Thanks for the input. I just wish I would have spent a few 100 or so hours out there learning, but those days are coming as the addiction starts to really take hold.

Mechanic what do you think of shooter ready?

I was wondering the other day if such a simulator existed.

Would be keen to try it if its good and ends up saving me money in the long run by throwing less projectiles into bad shot placements.

Tag.

I have found spotting for other shooters during practise sessions a far superior way to learn wind reading. Reading mirage downrange is a simple skill set, the ability to apply what you see is the bugger. Spending time watching others shoot in the gusts will be a tremendous learning tool.

The biggest fly in the ointment for me is how exactly is the terrain downrange is affecting the bullet flight. What bullet you are flinging downrange and the velocity you push it has a huge impact on success.

A group of us spent the day on a formal 1000 yard range practising for an F-TR Class match. One guy used the 155 skinneys, several the 175 SMK, and one guy the 178Amax.

The skinney flinger was no slouch and the early morning shoot had him locked in tight. I was very impressed by the 155 and was thinking on how I could get some.

We took a lunch break and the afternoon winds got up around 10 to 15 with a few gusts higher. The Skinneys started to open up. The 175/8 guys had some trouble with gusts but the groups really didnt open up much.

Morning skinney groups were easily under 1MOA with an occasional impact outside the 10" circle. 175/8 groups ran 1 to 1.5 in the morning.

Afternoon had the skinney doing 1.5 as the average and a disheartening number of oddballs 2 or more minutes out.

I have my thoughts on why, many experts dont agree but thats ok.

Shot with two army snipers in a 4 o'clock wind. the impacts were off to the right by a good 3 feet. The impact area was a big bowl that changed the 4 o'clock to a 7 o'clock one. They neglected to account for terrain, BIG eyeopener for me!

I sailed as a youth. For me wind reading is as much feel for nature as science. For those in hides and cover getting a good handle on wind at shooter isnt tactical or practical. Getting a handle on the wind a bullet travels through and what affect the terrain has on that is the skill set to build.

The biggest drawback is there isnt a computer sim or handheld that can read that wind, interpret the lay of ground.

Only one I know of holds up that oh so cool boonie.
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Know how terrain will effect the flow and know where you bullet is during the flight towards the target... trying to figure wind at the target is a losing prospect, dope the wind at you </div></div>

f'in a

My buddy and I had to walk the entire length to setup and re-setup (when we forgot targets, added, ect.) and each time we would walk down and expereince very little to no wind until we hit those two spots where the trees opened up. The part that I thought was interesting is that the near wind "tunnel" coming in straight 3 o'clock 15-25 mph (Texas) seemed to effect the bullets alot more than the second "tunnel" also 3 o'clock.

Looks like I need to hit the reloading bench and start in on all the Lapua Brass I have been keeping.

How were you able to quantify the differing wind exposures?

The wind at the target has less time to affect the flight path when compared to the wind closer to the shooter.

If you pushed that target back even further, and in theory had no other wind evident past the second tunnel, you would see the result of a diverted trajectory because the wind now has "time" to act... if that makes sense.

I am quite aware of the theory, but was wondering how it was 'proven' this go round as even the theorists always have the disclaimer 'in theory'.

The bullet isnt an arrow, it isnt a rocket- its a gryoscopically stablised streamlined cylinder without wings. It doesnt deflect like it hit a blade of grass. Its nose stays aligned with the azmith of the barrel, just offset.

I see wind as a linear effect not angular one. Its a mistake to convert the wind drift value from inches to degrees while the bullet goes downrange.

A gust of wind doesnt send the bullet off on a wild tangent, but rather opens the group up. Gyrostablisization doesnt stop when a puff of wind acts up.

Rockets and arrows can be deflected by wind. Our bullets take a shove and scoot over a bit but dont go off the reservation.

Now to believe near air counts more we have to contradict many tenents we swear by.

First the faster the bullet, the less affect the wind has. Simple time of flight. Where does the bullet travel the fastest? Nearer the muzzle unless your bullets are rocket assisted.

Many flat shooting super cartridges hug the ground but even they have an arc of some sort. While many cant assign a value to the midrange wind most of us agree wind a bit higher than 6" off the ground is faster. So as our bullet slows down it rises up into faster air.

As the bullet reaches the mid range or max ordinate it has really slowed, its time of flight per 100 yards is longer.

Every detail we hold as true goes against near wind has a bigger affect than far wind.

But the theory of deflection vs drift has a following.

Spotting you can clearly see it "bends" from being pointed into the wind but coming back on target assisted by the wind. That is easy to watch as it goes downrange.

I have seen things like Dragon and Tow missiles that "shove" and the bullet doesnt act the same.

As well, while it is slowing it is, in most cases still super sonic, so it's not that slow, time of flight is still shorter closer to the target, as in the last 100 yards. What you miss because of Max Ord and the invisibility of the air, is the fact the wind velocity has increased.

Also, and I don't know where to find it, someone did an indoor test, with a .22 using a commercial grade fan, and the fan at the muzzle had the greatest effect. I am not sure where that is anymore but i have seen it.

Finally, you can't possibly dope the wind down range and mirage only works to about 8 MPH. After that it simply gives you direction, not velocity, as it all just lays over. I see this daily.

If you look at where Rifles Only is geographically on something like Wind Finder Pro they have a yearly average which clearly shows an average wind speed on a daily basis of 12 to 16 MPH. Average, Daily, of which I spend 3 week out of the month on the tower either shooting or behind the glass of a spotter with classes of shooters. I watch it incessantly and can tell you the "shove" is more of a push with a bend in there.. It arcs into the target, and in some cases you are holding so far off you are using both windage and reticle to hold. In fact during the Sniper's Hide matches we have had winds there up to 38 MPH...

The biggest error I see is, people thinking the wind has stopped and gone to zero, after gusting from 6 to 8, or 8 to 12MPH.

We are fortunate enough to have a tower who's first deck is around 15ft in the air. Max Ord of the 308 at 1000 yards... the bullet isn't going so significantly slower, as in most cases the wind is as much as 5 MPH higher than on the ground because the wind has less resistance to the ground. So it's not so much a slower bullet but a higher wind. The average I account for is 3 MPH when shooting at distance, not because my bullet is slower but because I know the wind is stronger. The tower continues up to 25ft off the ground and an 8MPH wind at 6ft off the ground is now an 18MPH wind 25ft off the ground.

Flat shooters don't hug the ground at distance, they all tend to arc up, the bullet lives in the air, not near the ground. Once you get over 12MPH wind cheater bullet's aren't...

And anecdotally, we shot a High Angle Course with the Military at Thunder Ranch, more than one in fact, usually between October and November do we do this type class.

On one occasion, we had the target in the valley approximately 850 yards away, on this particular day we had a great mirage showing the wind funneling through the valley about 6 to 8MPH. The soldiers who dope the mirage missed the target, because the Hills on our side of the valley blocked the wind until the final 100 yards where it opened up to the valley floor. They basically dialed no wind to hit this target. It's was a clear case of wind at the shooter being blocked all the way to the target where the wind in the valley was moving... results no effect.

We tend in shoot in many different windy conditions

TRWindclass.jpg

This valley funnels the wind down through, when you shoot from the protected opposite hills, the effects all change. Here the wind was well over 20MPH.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The bullet isnt an arrow, it isnt a rocket- its a gryoscopically stablised streamlined cylinder without wings. It doesnt deflect like it hit a blade of grass. Its nose stays aligned with the azmith of the barrel, just offset.</div></div>

Sorry - that's wrong. You don't understand the mechanism which causes bullet deflection in a crosswind. The bullet in fact "windvanes" - the bullet points its nose slightly into the crosswind - and the resulting change in the drag vector is what causes the deflection.

I recommend that you get - and read - a copy of Bryan Litz's book.

You may also find this useful reading:

http://www.exteriorballistics.com/ebexplained/5th/43.cfm

Dragon and Tow missles have a computer and gyroscope holding them on target, they do not rely on spinning on their axis to maintain stablity. they get more thrust along the way.

Comparing them to a bullet seems off target.

When it comes to bullet velocity the supersonic barrier isnt the only factor. A bullet by the time it gets to 500 yards or near its max ordinate has shed appox 1000 fps. Its time of flight per 100 yards has increased. Everyone preaches TOF increase, wind affect increases.

To what velocity the mirage can be read can vary, i read it to 12 to 15 depending on the day. One thing for sure is I can see the gust wave push through and affect the bullet. it doesnt react like a Dragon that lost its tracker signal, it bumps but continues downrange pushed over not on a new angle.

As the bullet arcs up it has lost velocity by at least 30% and climbed at least 13' higher than its launch point into cleaner, faster air.

I dont see the ability to resist wind drift getting any better from 500 yards to 1000.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: notquiteright</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Dragon and Tow missles have a computer and gyroscope holding them on target, they do not rely on spinning on their axis to maintain stablity. they get more thrust along the way.

Comparing them to a bullet seems off target.

When it comes to bullet velocity the supersonic barrier isnt the only factor. A bullet by the time it gets to 500 yards or near its max ordinate has shed appox 1000 fps. Its time of flight per 100 yards has increased. Everyone preaches TOF increase, wind affect increases.

To what velocity the mirage can be read can vary, i read it to 12 to 15 depending on the day. One thing for sure is I can see the gust wave push through and affect the bullet. it doesnt react like a Dragon that lost its tracker signal, it bumps but continues downrange pushed over not on a new angle.

As the bullet arcs up it has lost velocity by at least 30% and climbed at least 13' higher than its launch point into cleaner, faster air.

I dont see the ability to resist wind drift getting any better from 500 yards to 1000.

</div></div>

Interesting and typical you focus on one thing the dragon , that was just to visualize what a shove looks like compared to a push. The path of the bullet can be seen going downrange and doesn't shove.

In the end you really said nothing, cleaner air ? Really, cleaner air... Is that a technical term.

Basically I don't see much of anything to support what you are saying beyond maybe 25% of it... Just enough to be right but more than enough to be wrong.

And you are readying velocity in Mirage to 12 to 15 MPH, bullshit, you can see it sure, but it is definitely not telling you anything at all but direction. No way you can tell a 12 MPH mirage from a 14 MPH or a 16 MPH Mirage, they all lay over the same. They just blow.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

In the end you really said nothing, cleaner air ? Really, cleaner air... Is that a technical term.

<span style="color: #FF0000"> I understand the cleaner air that notquiteright is referring to .

It is unobstructed air or less turbulent air as you might find when match racing .If another boat is receiving the wind before your boat does it is disturbing the pattern in front of you --apologies if I am stating the obvious . </span>

Basically I don't see much of anything to support what you are saying beyond maybe 25% of it... Just enough to be right but more than enough to be wrong.

And you are readying velocity in Mirage to 12 to 15 MPH, bullshit, you can see it sure, but it is definitely not telling you anything at all but direction. No way you can tell a 12 MPH mirage from a 14 MPH or a 16 MPH Mirage, they all lay over the same. They just blow. </div></div>

I am glad you identified that fact of wind speed from a flat mirage pattern cant be read incrementally Frank.

I have heard it said that some "ol timers" can pick the depth of the flat lines to judge speed up-to 20mph but figured it was BS

I routinely shoot with old guys who can infact judge wind speed through mirage up to 20 mph. They shoot palma, service rifle, and other fits of bondage shooting with irons and a sling.

I have read Pejsa, Litz and a few others.

That helped me understand was something about epicycle. From that i decided the bullet nose doesnt turn away from the line of travel but can be temporarily influenced to orbit a bit wider around the axis of rotation.

The bullet isnt a missle, gyroscopic rotation imparts a direction of travel and the bullet's body aligns with it. Litz says a bullet can be upset by say muzzle blast as it exits the barrel but the nose doesnt go off like a Dragon that has lost signal but rather wobbles around the axis of travel and quickly settles back on a stable flight.

That got me thinking about the odd behavior the 155 Skinny has when traversing turlulent zones over firing berms on formal hoist and paste ranges. The 155's suddenly act like they are no longer a high BC bullet and suffer alot more wind drift than the balpro predicted, the early morning range session has confirmed.

Seems to me the extremely light in the nose lapuas get upset a tad like Litz's muzzle blast bullet but from the other much easier to influence end.

It doesnt change direction, it loses a bit of BC and accepts more drift.

I have watched more than one gust bodily shove a bullet to the side but not change its direction as some claim happen.

I have seen a shooter forget to apply windage- my bad as I didnt watch to confirm he had, I was watching mirage- and see a steady wind push the bullet in a slow arc some might describe as deflection.

Mostly i think some use the term deflection for its Geek appeal.

Che- not everyone can be the best at everything. I have seen instructors and national level team coaches read mirage and determine wind speed down range. The limit to that ability is as varied as their are Instructors who are capable of it.

To my mind its a skill that can literally be a life saver as in a hide sticking a kestrel up to get an idea of wind can be harzardous to the shooter's health.

In a match the ability to detect that gust and as we all know range flags lie, mirage never does. Learn to dope wind 3/4 of the way to target and off of ground level, ie above grass and low weeds, and you will have a tangible advantage.

Good Luck

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: notquiteright</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I routinely shoot with old guys who can infact judge wind speed through mirage up to 20 mph. They shoot palma, service rifle, and other fits of bondage shooting with irons and a sling.

I have read Pejsa, Litz and a few others.

That helped me understand was something about epicycle. From that i decided the bullet nose doesnt turn away from the line of travel but can be temporarily influenced to orbit a bit wider around the axis of rotation.

The bullet isnt a missle, gyroscopic rotation imparts a direction of travel and the bullet's body aligns with it. Litz says a bullet can be upset by say muzzle blast as it exits the barrel but the nose doesnt go off like a Dragon that has lost signal but rather wobbles around the axis of travel and quickly settles back on a stable flight.

That got me thinking about the odd behavior the 155 Skinny has when traversing turlulent zones over firing berms on formal hoist and paste ranges. The 155's suddenly act like they are no longer a high BC bullet and suffer alot more wind drift than the balpro predicted, the early morning range session has confirmed.

Seems to me the extremely light in the nose lapuas get upset a tad like Litz's muzzle blast bullet but from the other much easier to influence end.

It doesnt change direction, it loses a bit of BC and accepts more drift.

I have watched more than one gust bodily shove a bullet to the side but not change its direction as some claim happen.

I have seen a shooter forget to apply windage- my bad as I didnt watch to confirm he had, I was watching mirage- and see a steady wind push the bullet in a slow arc some might describe as deflection.

Mostly i think some use the term deflection for its Geek appeal.

Che- not everyone can be the best at everything. I have seen instructors and national level team coaches read mirage and determine wind speed down range. The limit to that ability is as varied as their are Instructors who are capable of it.

To my mind its a skill that can literally be a life saver as in a hide sticking a kestrel up to get an idea of wind can be harzardous to the shooter's health.

In a match the ability to detect that gust and as we all know range flags lie, mirage never does. Learn to dope wind 3/4 of the way to target and off of ground level, ie above grass and low weeds, and you will have a tangible advantage.

Good Luck</div></div>

they are lying too you... they know what the wind speed is, usually from something else, and then they are trying to tell you they are reading it in the mirage...

Bullshit, it lays over, period.. you are not telling wind speed by the movement of the leaves, the rustling of the grass.. you get direction, not velocity.

We work with guys who's job it is to judge the wind, and they send up balloons, I have seen them predict a tornado, then within minutes see the funnel form where they said it would... every time they show up, I mean every time I talk wind with them, and across the field, 800 yards, 1000 yards, I ask them what the different objective moving can tell them, and they all say the same thing...<span style="font-weight: bold"> it's blowing. </span>

you get direction not velocity, you can make an educated guess, but that is all it is, a guess... the better you get the further downrange you judge conditions. But to tell me a mirage is telling you the difference between a 12 MPH wind, 14 MPH, 16, 18, or 20, without having read it at you, where all wind reading starts, at the shooter... bullshit. Can he tell a 8 over a 6MPH, absolutely but when it is laying flat. it gives you direction and will maybe spark a reading between gusts, but you have to have doped it at you first to know. Cold reading, without something to go by, no way... I do this almost every single day, wind class for an entire class at a time and while i can get damn close blind, it's only because I live on the range.

Range shooters are great for listening to what others say, you know guys with Kestrels, as well as knowing what home ranges will blow based on the prevailing winds, but take them out of their element into the unknown it's not happening. No way in hell they can tell, not without flags, other shooters, AND most importantly HOME FIELD ADVANTAGE. The Mirage isn't doing it alone above 12MPH. All it says, it's blowing hard from the right.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have read Pejsa, Litz and a few others.</div></div>
Really?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have watched more than one gust bodily shove a bullet to the side but not change its direction as some claim happen.</div></div>

And how, pray tell, were you observing the bullet which would allow you to observe whether it made a change of direction which amounts to a fraction of degree? A change which is described by Bryan Litz, who you claim to have read, as well as the guys at Sierra in the link I posted earlier, among others?

When you believe you know more about ballistics than the people you claimed to have read, it becomes pretty clear that you don't know what you're talking about. But thanks for making that clear, so I needn't waste any more time reading your posts.

Ok, so let me get this straight. I want to make sure of the terms we are using. If we say "deflection" we are refering to a change in direction of flight that would continue to effect the path of the bullet downrange even if the force that caused the initial change was no longer present? ie. we are in an indoor range, with the industrial fan referenced above. The fan is at or near the muzzle. Bullet departs muzzle and the fan imparts enough force on the bullet such that it is 1" off POA at 100 yards(strong fan huh? just to keep it simple). WHAT IS THE POI @ 1000, assuming no bullshit like SPINDRIFT?

Is it just like adjusting your POA 1"? will it impact 10" off at 1000?

Is it just a momentary push that restabilizes and will continue at 1" off POA for an indefinate distance?

Is it a true "deflection" and would continue to travel in a new direction than when it left the barrel, with impact points changing in an angular vector? IE. 2"@200, 3"@300....

Wouldn't it really be something akin to one on Newton's laws about conservation of motion? The initial force imparted on the bullet will continue to act on the bullet even though the wind is no longer present. I think that is why the near fan has more POI shift than the far fan. The bullet has more flight time after the energy has been imparted. This energy might dissipate over time and be lost to entropy. Thus influencing the bullet less at each subsequent range.

Anyway,

While I appreciate this type of discussion,(I am a science nut) I just wish people would quit trying to use "science" they (and I) may not understand to try and predict what will happen in every situation and go shoot instead. Learn! Don't postulate for fucksake!

One cannot gather enough data sitting at a computer to be anything close to the ability of people who get out and shoot all of the time.

My .02

tater

Speaking only for myself, I use the term <span style="font-style: italic">deflection</span> to indicate that some force has caused the bullet to deviate from the line of flight it was on when it left the muzzle. Deflection in that sense can occur in either the horizontal plane or the vertical plane.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is it just like adjusting your POA 1"? will it impact 10" off at 1000?</div></div>

Bryan Litz's chapter on wind deflection says this is the correct answer for your scenario - and that makes sense. If the bullet arrives at 100 yards deflected 1" off course, <span style="font-style: italic">in the absence of another external force</span>, it makes sense to assume that it's going to continue on a straight line on that course going downrange, and arrive 10" off course at 1000.

But then he has an extensive discussion about why that scenario won't occur.

That chapter is 23 pages long, and alone is worth buying the book for.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">One cannot gather enough data sitting at a computer to be anything close to the ability of people who get out and shoot all of the time.</div></div>

That's true, but some things, like your scenario, are difficult to test on the range. That's why books like Bryan's, which is written by a guy with a solid theoretical education backed up by extensive shooting experience, are so valuable - it keeps us from having to reinvent the wheel, and benefit from other's experience.

I have alway thought that wind will turn a bullet. I think it is like a paint stick held out of a window in the car. If you hold it flat it cuts through the air easily. If you hold it sideways it drags heavily. back of the bullet has a large surface that the wind will push heavily on. The front is thin so it will not effect it as much. Bullet turns. Tossing the football if my spiral is off a little it seems to drift a bit. Maybe the same maybe not.

Interesting reads...

I wish I had as much experience as some of you guys, let alone opportunities to hit a range almost daily.

BTW, Bryans book is a fantastic companion to this sport/hobby/profession for some.

Well my past experience leans me toward ending my participation. I have never done well discussing things like reading mirage with people who claim it cant be done when I sit with men who have a literal lifetime doing the very thing.

Yes its easy to say its a trick of some sort.

I've also learned to not try and out geek a geek who has spent a lifetime worshiping at the High Alter of the Immaculate Formuli.

Their philosophy was summed up by an Engineer- If you cant write a formula to model the event, it doesnt exist!

Missle geeks bring a biase to the gun world. Things like percession, epicycle, gyroscopic effect mean something to me. Missle examples not so much.

But to each their own, I wont try and convince others what they read is wrong, just dont try and convince me what I see didnt happen.

Oh and that old guys dont possess amazing skills. The onething that bothers me about what this nation has become isnt the politics of it all but rather devices have made us stop developing personal skills past pushing buttons.

That and the pycho-babble of ME, if I cant do it it cant be done.

notquiteright, I don't quite understand where you get all your resentment against those that strive to understand the science and art of long range marksmanship. The aerodynamics of one supersonic flying object has a definite relation to the aerodynamics of another, even if the mechanism of stabilization is different. I know that and I'm <span style="font-style: italic">"just a grunt"</span>, but maybe that's my problem too because I'm on the user end of it and I actually get it.

I'm from the military side of shooting, so I know a thing or two on the subject of what happens in the field. Exact wind calls at 12+mph? If it wasn't for the pine trees along side the range at Lejeune it would have been near impossible, and that was with a nice southern summer humidity mirage kicking. It only gets harder in the mountainous desert, so I'm glad the tech toys are available to today's snipers.

In the past we only had a basic grasp on internal and external ballistics. Density altitude? Wasn't even taught back then, and I graduated sniper school in 1995 so it wasn't exactly the dark ages. We used some basic unproven tables to take a SWAG at it, and was told to just rezero if we changed altitude too much. We didn't even use anything to record barometric pressure because we didn't know how much it mattered. No wonder we had such a hard time getting on target when we first came into a new AO. We didn't have a solid understanding of the science of shooting because it didn't exist yet.

Over the last 10 years the scientific understanding and technology of this sport has advanced so far that it blows my mind what the military sniper now has, and I'm happy (and a touch jealous) of what today's snipers now have at their disposal in the terms of equipment and information. These "geeks" as you so eloquently call them are doing more for this sport and these wars than anyone else out there that isn't actually pulling triggers on bad guys. They deserve a medal in my opinion, not your offensively slanderous name calling.

Your constant complaining of "geeks" throughout several of your recent posts reminds me of a movie from a while back, just with a different phrase:

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/gZEdDMQZaCU"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/gZEdDMQZaCU" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

If (imaginary example) you have wind only in the first 100 yds resulting in a 1" deflection at this distance, and then you have the trajectory fully protected from the wind from 100-1000 yds, the resulting deflection at 1000 yds would be <span style="font-style: italic">roughly</span>:

2*(900/100) + 1" = 19"

This is because the side wind has a constant acceleration on the bullet, and at the end of the first 100 yds the horizontal angle to the trajectory corresponds closely to twice the observed deflection. This is the angle that the bullet carries downrange
smile.gif

Re-reading all of this, I get it now, it "old school" versus "new school"...

It's not that "he" can do it, although there are claims to the effect, but "old timers' with lifetimes of range experience can, and we have, as a society have lost it. Lost the skill to do these things without the aid of computers.

Well we still do it the same, we just verify with the computers. I use the kestrel to confirm MY wind call, and I absolutely look at terrain and obstructions downrange to see what will effect the shot, and I only use "flags" of any kind for direction. Although they do form a part of my call when available.

But the argument for argument sake is just because the "old timers' do it better, meanwhile you fail to acknowledge things like records, which are falling everyday... hence the claim the Canadians were doing it "old school" to set the record, but they are so far removed from old school, one has to realize where their foundation for the shot came from. Studying the ballistics, running the numbers in a computer, etc. They utilize all available technology today to increase their success. In effect they are professional sniper geeks... to the point I have seen someone on their line recording the data for every rifle there to take back to central database. A recent ballistic computer class they put on was 3 days long. One computer to make a single shot.

Plenty of people still dope the conditions sans equipment, but most of the smart ones have used them first to build a foundation. They all have apps on their iPhones and will play with those apps, so when things come up, they sort of have an idea of what they saw, none of it, especially beyond 1000 yards is done old school just winging it... at least none of the successful shots.

You start at the shooter, then work your way downrange.

Bryan Litz details precisely this scenario in his book, which I pointed out above. He doesn't agree with you. Neither do I - but feel free to argue with Bryan.
laugh.gif

My understanding from reading Bryan Litz is that the bullet will turn into the wind creating a drag component that accelerates the bullet away from the line of sight. When the wind component is no longer present, the bullet will realign with the direction of flight, and the acceleration away from line of sight will drop to zero, but the velocity away from line of sight pretty much remains for the rest of the bullet flight (neglecting further wind effects). I don't see any mechanism for the bullet to shed it's "sideways" velocity (there will be a negligible "sideways" drag component to it's new vector countering this velocity) , so it ends up being an angular deflection.

JustForFun, exactly... and if you take a small sector you can make a linear approximation, and at the end of this sector your sideways velocity (and angular deflection from this point on) is roughly double the deflection of this sector.

You don't really need to be a rocket scientist (and I still don't have Bryan's book, but intend to buy it sometime), it is quite simple to simulate:

Take your favorite ballistics program, and launch a 175 SMK @ 2680 fps, tweak the environmental conditions to get a 1" deflection at 100 yds:

Using Sierra Infinity I put 300 feet asl, and 75ºF, pressure 29,53 in/Hg, and a 15 mph full wind, and get a 1.0" wind drift at 100 yds, and 138.52" at 1000 yds. The velocity at 100 yds is 2508.2 fps.

Next, use the same conditions and 2508 fps as the muzzle velocity, and find out that the deflection a 900 yds is 119.31".

The wind drift component at 1000 yds due solely to the 0-100 wind sector is: 138.52 - 119.31 = 19.21"

Quite close (a mere 1.1% error!) to the 19" that I showed in the simplified example
smile.gif

From this particular position where the shots were being made a shooter is able to watch two different "lanes" or cleared thicket to make shots at pigs and other varmits.
My real question is with the changing conditions in locations like this (or this specific location) will it be possible to confidently make shots without having to shoot into the conditions each time, possibly destroying the rest of the hunt for that morning or night. Is the solution just to shoot, shoot, and shoot some more in differing conditions at this location to build that confidence before attempting to take game? I have no love for the hogs but still would like to take them clean.

Invest in ammo and shoot it...

The wind is, so don't sweat it, just shoot it. Problem is everyone is looking for that no wind day, or no wind moment which is just silly, dope it and shoot it, you're not going to be that far off at 450 yards... on a bad day, 1/2, maybe 3/4 mil of wind on the average day, 1/4 mil... hold it and shoot it.

If the hold is consistent and the dope is there, the impacts will be consistent.

You can shoot in the wind, don't let it intimidate you . Watch some of the videos on YouTube, hearing and seeing the wind, and really it doesn't matter, MOA hits on targets.

After looking over many of these responses and until I gain alot more experience at this location deer will be out of the question at that range. fyi.

Thanks for all the input.

Thanks lowlight. I saw a quote somewhere
"for fuck sake just go shoot!" or something to that effect?

I plan on it

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: notquiteright</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well my past experience leans me toward ending my participation. I have never done well discussing things like reading mirage with people who claim it cant be done when I sit with men who have a literal lifetime doing the very thing.</div></div>"I love rumors! Facts can be so misleading."
- <span style="font-style: italic">Col Hans Landa, Inglourious Basterds (2009)</span>
laugh.gif

Hey Gruffskin

For the purpose of long range hunting, it is probably easiest, and wiser (imo) to actually give yourself the best ballistic advantage possible by using the right caliber and velocity combo.

What I mean by this is using a heavy 7mm, or a heavy .338 and have it pushing hard... 7mm Magnums, .338LM, .338Edge etc.

These nice heavy projectiles buck the wind well and from a long range hunters perspective, offer the best chances of successful hits where it counts.

Being a 155 scenar shooter, I can tell you from experience that a decent 7mm 180 grain match projectile will give you roughly half of the wind drift that your 155 scenars will give you.