• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Fieldcraft wind flags

223man

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 2, 2009
Marysville WA
Is there a specific size to the flags that are used for determining wind speed or is size not relevant? I want to put up some thing of the like so that I can practice wind estimating. So what I want to know is, do I need a flag or will a ribbon suffice? Thanx

Re: wind flags

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 223man</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is there a specific size to the flags that are used for determining wind speed or is size not relevant? I want to put up some thing of the like so that I can practice wind estimating. So what I want to know is, do I need a flag or will a ribbon suffice? Thanx </div></div>

I use the orange ribbon that you can get from Home Depot,or Lowes for about $5. Put one where you are at, one somewhere around half way down range and one at the range and you are good to go.

I have used those plastic grocery bags. If you tie the handle part you can also see how "full" the bag is with wind.

A simple vane style wind flag with a tail is the best learning tool a rifleman will ever use.

These doubles are really helpful. The double vanes allow you to see the angle changes really well and painting the sides different colors tells you immediately if a big change has happened. The tails were off in this pic. Corroplast makes an excellent material for vanes...it's strong, light and durable. Most flags use a 1/4" pivot pin but these use a ball bearing pivot system I made.

You certainly don't need to get this elaborate, but hopefully this gives you some ideas. -Al

f2.jpg

f1-1.jpg

I know for the most part a certain length of ribbon or tape can do the trick. I had come across an equation at one point where you can calcuate the relative angle of the ribbon to the standd its on to get a rough wind speed. does anyone have that equation I cant find it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NY700</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I know for the most part a certain length of ribbon or tape can do the trick. I had come across an equation at one point where you can calcuate the relative angle of the ribbon to the standd its on to get a rough wind speed. does anyone have that equation I cant find it. </div></div>

I believe(please correct me if I'm wrong)it is the angle of the ribbon/4= wind speed. I had seen that as well and I do know that some comps will not let you use a Kestrel so I wanted to find out as much as I can so I can practice.

WIND FLAGS LIE!!
Well, maybe not. But never pay attention to your own. Look at the flags on either side of yours. They tell you what is coming.
Surveyors tape is pretty good, except it is "floatie".
I bought some off of Benchrest.com called Snuffy's Sail Tails. They are very good.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Al Nyhus</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> A simple vane style wind flag with a tail is the best learning tool a rifleman will ever use.

These doubles are really helpful. The double vanes allow you to see the angle changes really well and painting the sides different colors tells you immediately if a big change has happened. The tails were off in this pic. Corroplast makes an excellent material for vanes...it's strong, light and durable. Most flags use a 1/4" pivot pin but these use a ball bearing pivot system I made.

You certainly don't need to get this elaborate, but hopefully this gives you some ideas. -Al

f2.jpg

f1-1.jpg

</div></div>

Al has some nice benchrest style wind flags set up for you to look at. The ones I have are Smiley Hensley design single vane. I also have 2 of Gene Beggs "wind guage" design. It shows more of a speed or power than direction.

There are several people that have adds over on Benchrest Central. You can find them from all price ranges.

Good luck with your choices.