• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Wind Question!

awe2

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 7, 2010
pleasantshade,tn
Went shooting today, shot a good group at 650 and could not hit anything else.We set up 500,550,600,650 yard targets.There is a big draw between our setup and the targets,and the wind was rippin straight to our backs.The 650 is farthest from the draw.We both shot so high at the first three we barely hit the top of the target,but we both shot good at the 650.Everything was the same as the last time we shot except the wind.The only thing I can think of is that the draw creates an updraft with the wind blowin that hard.Our windage was off a little, but nothing like elevation.I would think it was me,but we both shot basicly the same.Any ideas! Thanks.

Re: Wind Question!

What you observed is correct. Depending on the speed of the wind, and the distance from the target, it can definitely affect the POI (higher than POA, assuming all else being the same). Conversely, if it's a head wind, then the reverse is observed.

The funny thing about the wind is that you can come back to the same spot another day and has a different wind effect and have different POIs. That's why LRS is interesting. It's all about the wind, well almost all that is.

Same place we always shoot,just never with the wind to our backs like that.So even if you are shooting on a flat spot of ground with the wind to your back you will still be high or does the draw in front of us make it worse?Thanks.

Both. The wind will hot the face of the draw and blow up on your bullet and a 6 o'clock wind will raise it also

So with both together your bullet is screwed with out adjustments.But why wasnt the 650 off?Did it have time to correct its self?

That's got me puzzled. I had read a couple articles about that same type thing the other night. When I get home from hunting I'll look em up and post em