• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Wind reading books

LoneWolfUSMC

Lt. Colonel
Minuteman
I know there were some recommendations on here awhile back, but it appears that the site search and google are failing me.

I believe one was "The Wind Book for Rifle Shooters" by Linda K. Miller. Does anyone have some others?

I was doing pretty good today, but I made one boo-boo call that cost me first place. I need to get my head back in the game and also look for any tips.

Thanks

Re: Wind reading books

I've come to ignore Owens and his crackpot theories, like "the big lie" which is nothing more than the deliberate hiding of the fact that ARs shoot circles around M1s and M14s.

Nancy Tompkins's book has an outstanding section on wind, as does Tubb's original "High Power Rifle". Now these books focus on KD ranges, but their ideas can be ported over to field conditions if you use the available wind indicators - birds, trees, grass, mirage.

Nancy's Book is here:

http://www.rifleshootingbynancy.com/index.html

And Tubb's book here:

http://www.amazon.com/Highpower-Rifle-G-David-Tubb/dp/0962692522

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sterling Shooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Are you looking for a book on strategies? </div></div>

Not really. I am looking for something more on the mechanics.

I have been over the basics more times than I can count. I know that its just a matter of getting out and doing it over and over again, but sometimes reading someone else's insights into it can make the light go on.

I am usually fairly good at wind calls. I have been getting into the habit of calling it first, then verifying with the kestrel. Then comparing factors at the line with obersvations downrange (veg, mirage, etc).

The best book on the wind is the one you write yourself.

Nancy's and G. David's books are essential foundations to understanding the process, but they can only get you to the doorway of the schoolroom.

You need to go through that doorway and start applying it to <span style="font-style: italic">your</span> skills and <span style="font-style: italic">your</span> implements.

When your write it down, it gets reinforced in memory.

When is started working in computer operations, every new trainee would get hold of the prevailing notebook and copy it down religiously. It never failed them.

Then one day I noticed one of the really experienced guys never brought his notebook into the computer room. I chided him on this and he laughed. He said, "Your book is a great crutch, until you lose it. Then you're legless until you can make another copy. My notebook is in my head, where I can never lose it. Do this and remember me."

I did.

Greg

Greg, I was excellent at calling wind. I got out of shooing about the time the Corps asked for their gear back.

I am now getting back to where I can call wind within 2-3 mph of what the Kestrel says. Reading Mirage is a little slower in returning.

I am not looking for a book on HOW to do it. I got that, and a bookshelf full of binders from every shooting school I have been to. I am looking for books on how others do it so that I can comapre techniques and enhance the thinking process.

No matter how much you think you know, you can always learn more. I know I will learn the most from sending projectiles downrange in all manner of weather, but on days I can't get to the range reading about it can add to my training.

Try
Les Miserables by Hugo
Dr. Zhivago by Pasternak
The Sun Also Rises by Hemingway
Winds of War
War & Remembrance by Wouk
Macbeth

You're right, great book.

The wind discussions here on the Hide contain more useful info than any book I've read on the subject.

my favorite site about books is https://thepoetrytrust.org/

Neither of your posts here pertain to the matter at hand in any way aside from the fact that they contain the subject of "books..." :unsure: You're going places quick, guy!

I'm tagging in for info. Shot my first match since 2011 a week and a half ago, and once we got past 600 yards, the wind kicked me and my little 168gr .308 pills' arse all over the range. Wind is the great divider of the "men from the boys," as it were. I'm always open to learning new info, especially when it helps turn my weaknesses into strengths!

inherit the wind book question?
i read the book and realize that it separates the audience along theologic lines. one of my questions is why does the US constitution demand separation of church and state- going along with the theme of this book? also, how could you make everyone happy in a situation like in the book where, you have one thing being taught, the other idea is illegal to be taught like those articles https://artscolumbia.org/category/literary-arts/drama/ ... so wat do u do?