• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Wine Thread

Do we have a wine thread?

I have figured out which whiskey/bourbon I prefer (Blanton’s & Eagle Rare). I have my favorite coffees (Velton’s & Onyx). I despise beer and don’t smoke. I’m ready to venture into the world of wine, but don’t know a thing! I’ve tried a few things in the past, liked some, hated others, no clue which are which, but will pay more attention now. We don’t drink “a lot” maybe 1 drink per week. Wife and I eat out a good deal, and she often drinks what the waiter suggests for pairing, but has no real preferences either.

If you have anything to add on the wine topic, please do so here. Thanks
What preferences are you leaning to do you prefer reds or whites? If you are new to wine some of the big cabs can be a little much same way with chardonnays if they are really okay. Give me a little background on what you like I work in fine dining for the last 18 years waiter, manager, bartender etc also did some time as a wine rep. I currently wait and I am are company trainer and also do are wine list so I will be happy to point you in some good directions.

1585575507010.png

R

My recent favorite is Tempranillo a Spanish red. Like with most, the more you spend the better you get...not always and only to a point. There's a reasonable one for about $7...Globeratti I believe its called.
Buscado isn't bad either...

When I was in Italy a year ago on the MonteCassino conflict archaeology dig, we went in to a little roadside grocery/hardware/lumber/shoe/liquor/candy store.

In the back were two 40 gallon(ish) vertical cisterns full of local red. You filled your container for a euro a liter. Cash n carry. Some kind of local cianti.

it was good. Though I think there was a rat floating in the tub.

Bottle of local red at hotel was 2 Euros. It was damn good. My bar bill at the end of two weeks was less than I’d have paid for three bottles of Aussie stuff at home.

Sirhr

When we would train up near Monte Romano(sp?), the local kids would come down to the beaches to watch the landings. As a plus, they'd trade homemade wine (in all manner of type of bottles) for MRE's. That wine was some of the best table wine I remember drinking. Good stuff.

Reactions: sirhrmechanic
Maybe a stupid question but, is there a good place to order wine online?
You can order through Total Wine. They have an awesome selection and generally speaking very good prices.

Another source is Wine Express. That is typically high end wine though. There are some great bargains to be had on quality wine if you shop carefully.

Reactions: whiskeytower
Love wine, but reading the snappiness only this thread made me pour a couple fingers of whistle pig rye

• Haha
Reactions: Maggot
Thank you @Soulezoo ill check it out. The wife and I have really been enjoying sharing a bottle in the evenings Being able to hear the birds and critters now since traffic is down. Its been real nice.

EDIT: Looks like its not quite as simple to order wine to Texas. :rolleyes: I was aware the state didnt want us ordering spirits online.

Last edited:
I'm so glad I started a winery and built a shooting range on my farm!

I always joked about the Great End of the World and what a person really needs to get by.

Guess I was right :^)

Be sure to check out some non-mainstream grapes, too.

One that grows well in WV (generally zone 4 to 5) and can make a good dry red is Marachel Foch.

There are a few "tricks" needed to make a Foch a bold red, but it can be done!

Beer for tacos, wine for steak!

Reactions: Ranger Bob
I'm so glad I started a winery and built a shooting range on my farm!

I always joked about the Great End of the World and what a person really needs to get by.

Guess I was right :^)

Be sure to check out some non-mainstream grapes, too.

One that grows well in WV (generally zone 4 to 5) and can make a good dry red is Marachel Foch.

There are a few "tricks" needed to make a Foch a bold red, but it can be done!

Beer for tacos, wine for steak!

I'm reminded by your comment, that the UK was growing wine grapes just before the last mini ice age.

Seem to recall the UK is making wine again. Hmmm...think I'll go check my cold weather gear and see what needs to be upgraded.

Actually any full bodied dry red. Enjoy!

Malbec, Meritage and other blends that stand up to the sauce and spice

$50 decanters work ok?

what pairs with pepperoni pizza?
$10 decanters work ok.
All you are doing is exposing surface area of the wine to oxygen to let it "open up" the other side to that is you have now exposed the wine and sped up the oxidation process (what ends up killing wine). So now you need to drink that wine in fairly short order. Once opened the wine, like fish, starts to go bad in 3 days.

Now there are solutions to that, like Coravin, that can extend the life of that opened wine.

Reactions: ccasanova
You know, they aren't at all necessary. First, whites and roses do not benefit from a decanter. Second, there are different devices that will aerate the wine as it's poured thus not exposing the whole bottle to oxidation. This is what most wineries do for tasting. Then at the end of the day, the opened bottles left over are purged with argon and resealed.

I personally use an Aervana electric aerator/pump.

Now that I said that, aerators are good for younger wines that are full bodied (Cabs, Zins, Malbec, Petite Syrah and etc.) For more delicate reds like Borolo or Pinot Noir, decanting may be preferred. Also well aged reds like a Bordeaux or Rioja will benefit more from decanting as aerating can be violent and upset some of the delicate flavors gained from the aging process. Also, if you have an older wine with sediment, decanting is appropriate.

So, lastly, generally speaking, wine made in the US are made for immediate consumption. Wines made in Europe (especially France) are made to lay down in the cellar for a bit and allow the tannins to mellow out. So, following the information from above, if you are opening a nice Napa Cab from the wonderful 2015 vintage, use an aerator and enjoy. If this is a 2004 left bank Bordeaux (how about Pomerol?), then a decanter is your friend.

Now I don't want to put it out that I am providing disinformation, so I want to qualify this as "generally speaking " and not as absolutes. In fact, there are times when decanting an old and oakey Chardonnay is appropriate. Even after I said above that whites don't need it. There's always that "but sometimes". Knowing when and what is the key.

Reactions: MarinePMI
$50 decanters work ok?

what pairs with pepperoni pizza?

Haha, I just finished my homemade pizza with a bottle of rose that finished fermenting in the bottle. I'm sitting on about 25 cases that I don't really want to sell to restaurants, so i figured the apocalypse is the perfect time to drink it!

It's actually pretty good since it's dryer than intended, and that's what I like.

The sediment from the bottle fermentation is just extra vitamin B!

But, I prefer a dry red or beer with pizza.

Found the Coppola Claret. Need a white suggestion, wanting to try something light tonight, may cook shrimp pasta with cream sauce.

hahahahahahaha…. I have used that stuff on a 7 day fishing and camping trip in Quetico Park in Ontario.... great stuff out of a box... goes great with Walleye

Last edited:
Found the Coppola Claret. Need a white suggestion, wanting to try something light tonight, may cook shrimp pasta with cream sauce.
An unoaked Chardonnay is perfect. A dry rose' can even pair well. There are a number of Italian whites that work as well as a white burgundy.

An unoaked Chardonnay is perfect. A dry rose' can even pair well. There are a number of Italian whites that work as well as a white burgundy.
Isn't that a Savignon blanc? Or chablis?

So Chablis is not a chardonnay grape, and not aged in oak barrels? Huh, learn something new everyday I guess...

My long time favorite is a good, earthy '82 Bordeaux. This is my favorite bottle and thankfully is relatively affordable when you can find them (by french '82 standards anyway!). With wines it's not only the type, winery, location, etc., that impact flavor, but also the vintage. Every year is different, some dramatically so. Then the fact of aging also changes a wine's flavor. An '82 bordeaux is very different from an '81 or '83 for example.

82 Chateau LaroseTrintaudon.jpeg

Reactions: k-space
So Chablis is not a chardonnay grape, and not aged in oak barrels? Huh, learn something new everyday I guess...
Well, sorry, I knee-jerked at the Sauvignon Blanc. Chablis is, as you correctly note, Chardonnay grapes and unoaked, and produced in the Chablis region of France. Also E&J Gallo produces chablis in a jug that is a cheap crap mix of white grapes produced in Lodi, CA and no where near France. So do I get at least half credit?
When I mentioned a "white burgundy" above, this is what I was thinking in part with a couple of other wines.

• Haha
Reactions: MarinePMI
CD7A623D-D943-4075-8322-78C3F94A8478.jpeg
Tried this Pinot Grigio last night. It was pretty good, crisp and sweet, reminded me of Granny Smith apples...wife said it didnt ??‍♂️

Reactions: deltaheavy
Well, sorry, I knee-jerked at the Sauvignon Blanc. Chablis is, as you correctly note, Chardonnay grapes and unoaked, and produced in the Chablis region of France. Also E&J Gallo produces chablis in a jug that is a cheap crap mix of white grapes produced in Lodi, CA and no where near France. So do I get at least half credit?
When I mentioned a "white burgundy" above, this is what I was thinking in part with a couple of other wines.

No worries. ? I was thinking to myself "I could have sworn...", but was too lazy to pull out the wine book from the bookcase/library (I have no clue where the wife tucked it away in there), that had mentioned Chablis as an unoaked Chardonnay grape. Glad to know I'm not losing my mind....

View attachment 7294870
Tried this Pinot Grigio last night. It was pretty good, crisp and sweet, reminded me of Granny Smith apples...wife said it didnt ??‍♂️
This is why I am always hesitant to make specific recommendations. Everyone has their own taste profile.

You mentioned Granny Smith apples. Clyde Mays 110 Alabama whiskey has a nose of jolly rancher apple candy and tastes like Granny Smith to me. Others have disagreed.

I wasn't really into wine much but after getting off active duty AF, I was offered a job at a print shop in Napa. They printed the labels for most of the Napa Valley appellations at the time. I got to meet a number of owners and got a helluva education from them. (Old man Grgich from Grgich Hills foremost amongst them) The highlight of that was I printed the first edition of the labels for Opus One. I got to meet Robert Mondavi and Baron Rothschild. Mr. Mondavi gave me a bottle of Opus One and the kind Baron gave me a bottle of 1979 Chateau Latour. To this day those were the best two bottles of wine I have ever had. Nothing else has come close.
You in Napa? Fellow Napan here.

just for those that need a good cry to go with there wine and a little cheese a tiny violin being played

• Haha
Reactions: Gregor.Samsa
Lol the above. Had some Emmolo merlot for dinner with spaghetti.
Now sipping some Kentucky Owl

RE: Boone's Farm... My fave was...TICKLE PINK! In more ways then one! :cool:

If you are a newbie to wines, you cannot go wrong with anything by (Paul) Newman's Own. ...and not only their wines. I have not been able to find it anymore at Wal-Mart (blasphemy, I know), but they used to carry a salsa with peach bits that was fantastique! It was similar to Santana's Supernatural peach salsa.
For Sauvignon Blanc, cheap ones are good for cooking chicken and especially fish, like salmon!
For a good juicy steak, nothing like a full bodied Cabernet Sauvignon.
TIP: If you ever run across any bad tasting wine, make a wine cooler with 7-Up or Sprite.
Chateau St. Michelle is a great winery, located in the state of WA

Reactions: BikePilot
Cooking spaghetti tomorrow night. Picked up a few to test out. (We liked the Claret and Decoy so they are the current standards) There’s not a big selection at my local small town grocery. These are top shelf here. However, the largest wine selection in the state is 30 mins away, and we’ll hit it up soon.
C592C59F-3EE6-4C48-9C25-02CDF9517B56.jpeg

A few things I've learned about wine after 20+ yrs of airlines and business trips:
  • It's harder to get a white wine wrong than it is to get a red wine right
  • When at altitude and you can't drink gin or whiskey... choose the white wine. I have rarely enjoyed a red wine above 8500 ft.
  • Merlot is the hardest red wine to get wrong.... so if you've got all lower grade red choices your best chance of having a drinkable beverage is the merlot

Reactions: deltaheavy
As someone who was introduced to wine from waitressing at Italian and French restaurants in college, I'm all about finding the right wine to pair with food. So there isn't 'a' wine you can recommend in general ... for me it's all about what's the right wine for what you're eating or doing, even if what you're eating is no more than buttered popcorn or a hot dog. That being said I've always been partial to the Old World wines since that's what I knew. I've recently started getting more into New World ... California, New Zealand, Australia. My suggestion is to get a good book and start to learn ... it's a fun hobby to get into and good news is you can get a pretty good start with a fraction of what you'll spend on guns and ammo! My hubby got me Wine Folly for Christmas last year and it's by far the best, easiest to understand, practical and useful wine book I've ever read. As someone else here said "it's a journey" and it's a lot of fun to be on!