• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

WinMag question, opinions requested.

After further research, (and input here), this idea is dead.

I might have lost my mind on this one, but I figured I’d run this past y’all and let you chime in:

I’ve got a silly urge for a short WinMag. How short you ask? I’m thinking 18”.

So far the plan is:
Factory ammo
Origin Long Action
Green Mountain 1:7.5 barrel
Magpul Hunter LA (already have this)

I know Browning and a couple others have a 1:8 on some XBolts, but those are longer sticks. I also know that Bill M. over at RifleShooter did a 16.5” that seemed to behave well enough for him a few years back, but that was also a 1:10 twist.

Think it would work? Or am I lost in my own musings and about to waste a barrel blank?
I ran a 20" 300 win mag for years, and had no issues.

However, 300 win mag is not a caliber where you can do factory ammo only. There isnt one damn factory offering worth it. It is not like the 300 prc...there are no options.

bench

FullSizeR.jpg

I ran a 20" 300 win mag for years, and had no issues.

However, 300 win mag is not a caliber where you can do factory ammo only. There isnt one damn factory offering worth it. It is not like the 300 prc...there are no options.

bench

I’m guessing you haven’t seen the Berger ammo...

Yea, put a big shovel head break on it, and get out your self dimming welding helmet, a couple sets of earplugs, some oven mitts and a lead apron like they use in the X-ray room. ? ? ?

View attachment 7222578

Like this?

starmalite_121206d.jpg

It's a temporary barrel until my 300PRC comes in. Found a cheap 24" barrel and 18" just happen to be the longest point at which it could be threaded.

Reactions: supercorndogs
I'm guessing you haven't seen the price... seriously, if that's all you got stay at home jr.

Is your argument really over 1 box of bullets...thanks for proving my point smart ass.

Bench

Not sure theres even a debate. When I look up 300WM ammo on midway I get 82 results.
When I look up 300PRC I get 2, both being Hornady.

Avg price is the same.