• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fieldcraft Winter Camping/Survival Course

kraigWY

CMP GSM MI
Minuteman
Feb 10, 2006
Wyoming
The recent topic in the Bearpit regarding Brim Frost has got me to thinking.

Would there be any interest in a winter survival/camping course ? I’m thinking three or four days in the Black Hills of Eastern Wyoming/Western South Dakota.

I wouldn’t charge anything, you just cover your own expenses.

This would be in the dead of winter and you live out of your own pack.

We’d cover fire starting, keeping warm and dry at night, caring for foot gear. Going “light”. Maybe throw in some map reading, and navigation, day and night (using stars)

Any interest ?

Any ideals on what should be covered?

I’ve done this for 22 years. Spent a lot of that with Alaska Natives in Western Alaska.

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2868032&page=3

Re: Winter Camping/Survival Course

Kraig, this really does sound good. Great opportunity for many. I regret not being younger and in 'pre-wreck' shape and ability, let alone closer.

There's many here in the "frozen North" who could benefit from this experience.

Id love to. I live in NH though and I have just about ZERO camping experience. I mean Ive set up a tent a few miles from home in the middle of summer for a night and brought food but I hardly consider that "camping"

I was an instructor in Alaska, I owned my guiding service and worked for another, taught several courses in winter camping and survival.

I started with gear, while this is the hide and many may have some experience, I was shocked at what gear some charges (clients) show up with to use. Like boots still in the box inside the pack, Coleman stove inside the box inside a pack, cotton undies with jeans, etc.

Next covered basic travel in snow / ice, its not just plodding along. Pulk, snowshoe Vs skis. Land nav to know when the sky is low, snow is falling and I am where and need to get to here = no GPS.

Shelters, too many to list but I was fond on bolt holes, least time and energy used to construct for most warmth and protection. Always carried a small tarp and p cord too.

Fire and water for winter.

How to survive and get out if falling through ice into water solo and with partner.

How to treat winter injuries.

Reading snow pack since you mentioned hills, white dragon kills every year.

I had two safeties, it was bad. Most do not know and understand how quick the body and mind can go south in winter.

Speaking of the mind, winter is all about the mind both in knowledge and keeping it happy so sucking is fun.

I lived, and may retire in Custer SD - does that count????

I've panned gold in the black hills, pulled a 75 year old molasses bottle out of a ghost town
smile.gif

And worked in the oil fields in Wyoming (NewCastle
smile.gif

I'd love to go there but schedule, vacation (none available) would keep me out
frown.gif

When you retire to Custer, we need to get together and swap Brim Frost stories.

I'm just up the road, first road on the left after you cross into Wyoming.

My uncle has property there!!!

his name is Ken Ackler - say Hi to him if ya see him - he'll bs with just about anyone!

Kraig,
"45.308" has some good topics.

Speaking as an avy and mountain travel and rescue trained ski patroller here are some suggestions

CLOTHING> "Cotton Kills" NO cotton clothing. Synthetic &/or wool (OK, or fur)
FOTWEAR> Vapor Barrier Linings (VBLs) over poly sock liners keeps insulation DRY and warm. Insulating liners (as in felt packs) go inside sleeping bags at night.
SHELTER> Teach snow shelters like quinzees, trenches, tree well shelters, even igloos.
AVALANCHE> Winter travel in mountains means everyone MUST have Avy I training and the basic gear (shovel, probe, beacon, & snow study kit & skills)
OVER-SNOW FOOTWEAR> Snowshoes or skis
COOKING> wood fire or liquid fuel stoves? Fatty foods are important in cold weather
COLD INJURIES> Know hypothermia signs & symptoms and carry a sub-normal temp thermometer just in case...
ROUTEFINDING> Whiteout conditions can be disasterous for group or individual navigation
PACK OR PULK?> I prefer pulks for longer trips (over 3 days) or for deep snow travel
SLEEP SYSTEM> What bag(s)and mattresses? Use two mattresses when one is not enough? Use natural boughs under a mattress? Use a bivy bag?

Being that I'm only a few minuets away, I'd make the trip up. I took a short one day basic survival class from a retired SERE instructor up from the Air Force academy last year and would love the opportunity to put the gear in my pack (his list) to the test.

Schedule permitting, I would also be very interested in this. Have trained with Kevin Reeve and other survival instructors...plus it doesn't get that cold very often in New England/PA area, so would be a learning experience for me...

Although, most of the time when people show me snow shelters, I can't stop calling them "forts" cause that's what we called them when we made them (all the time) when we were young.
smile.gif

As a Scout Leader from 1970 until about two years ago; our camping season began in September and ended in May, with an expedition/Trek usually occupying at least a week each Summer.

Winter camping, as well as Winter cabin weekends, became a large part of our Stock in Trade.

One of the key factors influencing getting the right equipment into the hands of the kids was to bring along a parent the first time or two; and making those inaugurals a cabin trip, where an escape to warmth was close at hand. Unless the folks who buy the stuff have some inking of the realities of Winter sports, etc., you will continually find weirdness like the boxed boots and stoves mentioned above.

We found that it was overwhelmingly essential that the warm escape option was available at the beginning, and that the organizer had standby equipment to hand out where obviously gazardous gear mistakes were apparent. When dealing in loco parentis with adolescents, obligations rode heavily on leadership's shoulders.

Winter camping and survival experiences are a genuine opportunity for disaster. While it's relatively easy to see this where adolescents are concerned; the truth is that a lot of adults are entering the experience with very similarly erroneous preconceptions.

In Scouting, in the weeks leading up to Winter camping kickoffs, our weekly Troop meetings gave valuable opportunity to get the imperatives across. Adult experiences should have similar pre-outing sessions for education, give and take, and such; so nobody gets into the serious cold without at least <span style="font-style: italic">some</span> serious mental and equipment prep.

Our Weekly troop meetings ran on Thursday nights, and every time we were going on a weeked trip or any kind, all individual packs came to the meeting, contents were inspected, and packs were left at the locked troop rooom pending the bext evening's departure. Common gear was also organized and packed that night as well, so ample opportunity was provided to correct any gear shortcomings, and our departure was as quick and smooth as possible the next evening.

Any outdoor experience's outcome hinges firmly on its preparations, and when significant physical hazards are added to the mix, that preparation becomes paramount.

Age and health have dictated that my participation in such events is already at an end. I don't really mind, as long as what experience as has been accumulated can be passed on, as in posts like this one.

Greg