• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Winter project: Remington 788 in the .223

gregor64

Private
Minuteman
394926_2867629373674_1348011384_33140470_1629791521_n.jpg

I am certain the "poor man's" Rem 700 has been documented well on this site but I am too lazy to search the threads and add my 2 cents- so, here is a new/old rifle to me. It was owned by a retired Marine (thanks for your service sir) who had it glass bedded and put a cheap Simmons 6-24x50 scope. What he did with it was run about 50 rounds through it and put it in his safe.

What do I plan to do with it? I'll probably add a Timney trigger group and possibly ArmorThane texture the stock in a sandstone. I've got a thing for old things like Winchester pre 64's, Remington 1100's, etc. The 788 is my latest fancy. I am told they were excellent shooters and ugly to look at. As long as a tool works- I don't have a problem with it.

I'll try to add my transformation pictures if there is any interest. This is not the latest, greatest toy- but I betcha it will work on coyotes!

Re: Winter project: Remington 788 in the .223

If ur lazy not too much help u can wait 3 days to get answered or search for 3 mins

I got an idea lets start of telling ppl how lazy we are and ask people who have done yrs of research the kind of stuff that takes hands on and money and give it to you for free...

TAke ur 700 buy a bell and carlson stock take it to gun smith have it bedded buy a bdl bottom metal get a 20 Moa base and what your gun cost spend 2x on optics and ull have ur poor mans gun

If this don't answer ur ?? Then sorry I stopped reading at lazy

You’ll love that 788! I have one in .243 and another in 22-250 and they both just plain shoot. Don’t know why exactly but my 22-250 just HATES to be cleaned. If I clean the bore it typically takes 10-15 rounds before it settles down and groups well again. My response to this problem? I don’t clean it.

I’d leave the stock alone if it were mine, However, it’s not so do with it what you will. Eventually you will end up tossing that Simmons in the trash so you might just as well start there.

BTW – is it “write like an ignorant teenager” day? Seems like some think they’re texting for some reason.

Unbelievable the attitude some people get. Give the guy a break. If you don't like his OP, then don't respond. And talk about being lazy: learn to spell or write and you may get a bit more credit.

OP: sounds like an interesting project. Post pics as you progress. Looking forward to seing how this turns out.

Thanks to those who kindly remarked on my "personal" winter project with my nice Remington 788. I will look forward to show you what I do with it. This is a project I've been wanting to tackle for quite a long time.

My area is limited as far as super, long range shots like many of you are probably accustomed. One can still enjoy predator hunting in other setups as well. I have a couple of kids in college, and a child with severe limitations- so my funds are limited.

I appreciate your kindness- it goes a long way these days. God Bless you and Merry Christmas!

I look forward to seeing how yours turns out.
I like 788's alot. My first bolt deer rifle was a 788 in .243
I still have it and have added quite a few more over the years.
Good luck finding extra mags.They are very hard to find now.
Myy .223 shoots quite well. Generally 5 shots are a ragged hole at 100 yds. I have a nice old Redfield 6-18 on it.
It really likes the Sierra 52 Gr BTHP Match #1410.

Good luck on your project. I redid one of these 2 years ago. It was mine when I was in high school, got it back 3 years ago when my Dad died. Sat in a closet for 30 years. I just sanded it down refinished the stock, and had it blued. Looks great.
You want a pic pm me.
Miles

Oh, and I replaced the Weaver K-3

Thanks for the comments guys. I love hearing about others that have tricked out these reliable relics that still deliver the goods. I came here with my own plans in mind but I enjoy hearing how you all have done yours up and what loads you use...etc.

I've heard of some stock 788's showing up at long distance benchrest "egg" shoots and upstaging some pretty expensive gear. I have no intention to upstage or out piss anyone. I just want an accurate varmint rifle I can count on without breaking the bank.

I don't mind the looks of the 788 personally. I decided to sell my left hand 788 in 6 mm, only because it never gets used. And i have bought a few too many rifles recently. It has been a great rifle and killed a lot of deer over the years, some at pretty long distances.
Took it out to shoot before selling and it shot 0.5" at 100 and 4" at 550 - both 5 shot groups! Not bad for an 'ugly stick.'
I'm sure you'll love your 788!

I have a 788 in the 308 cal. I love that gun, had it for 30 years. Can't wait to see how yours comes out.