• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Winter Projects?

Musket_0

Private
Minuteman
Dec 5, 2009
Frozen Northeren Michigan
Just started one myself. The rifle is a Mossberg 100 ATR in .308. The stock is solid Cherry. Been drying in the basement for a year and a half. Finally dried to 12%, and have the time. Going with a thumb hole stock to match my Savage 10FP. I put a Richards stock on it about 4 years ago. Had to do enough work to that, I might as well carve the whole thing. This will be my 10th stock from scratch. Of course first 3 had plenty of guidance.
100_14371600x1200.jpg

100_14351600x1200.jpg

100_14341600x1200.jpg

100_14331600x1200.jpg

Re: Winter Projects?

I've got lots of projects started to: a my 1st stock as well, a pickup in pieces and I am gonna give my 1st custom rifle build a shot. There's absolutely nothing more satisfying than doing it yourself good luck and keep us updated with your stock.

I bought a Savage Model 11 in .243Win, I'm waiting on all the parts to build it into a smokeless ML so I can switch between the two barrels. I'm replacing practically everything but the receiver.

Did you glue up the panel on the bench and under the stock with biscuits?
What's that panel for?
Why haven't you scraped off the oozed glue?
Sandvik_2_1_2_Inch_Heavy_Duty_Scraper_450_Shop_Tools-resized200.gif

Sandvik Scraper with replaceable carbide blade

The panel under the stock is red oak glued up just to make a top for my work table. I have been making cutting boards the same size and these were left over boards that did not qualify for a "nice looking" cutting board. Made 10 that size for xmas presents. The idea is they are big enough for a whole hind quarter of deer to fit on. If it works on the bench....This too shall be finished.

I have some 3/4" ply and a bunch of pine 1x4 that will someday be lam'ed up and used as a stock project. I figure the pillars can be inletted into the ply, and the rest of the layup can be pine for light weight and simplified woodworking. These days, stains and finishes can make pine look like anything.

Greg

Kinda forgot to return to this thread. OOOPS. Anyhow, The finished rifle is the Mossberg 100ATR .308 and the one half finished is a savage/stevens .243 that is in progress. Just couldn't leave it in that POS synthetic. And kinda decided at the last second to not do the thumb hole design. Think it looks good this way.

DSC00061-Copy.jpg

DSC00062-Copy.jpg

DSC00065.jpg

DSC00056.jpg

DSC00067.jpg

very nice work, I have a very old piece of redwood that I have thought about making a stock with if. what kind of glue would you use for this?