• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Winter Snow Camo AR Done

northern50

Null User
Minuteman
Mar 22, 2006
WI
The new Yote buster is ready for winter.

Palemeto Upper, carbon fiber forearm and a collapsible stock. Nothing too fancy for a build but I think the paint came out great, especially since it was my first time doing the dip process.

A little info on the process..

I did a lot of reading on what the pro's use for materials and watched a bunch of youtube videos to figure out the process and take some of the guessing out of it.

Material List:

Paint: White - produced by One Hit Wonder. I bought the Aerosol cans. I only have one HVLP paint gun and it saved me some set up and clean up. Their aerosol cans are some of the best spraying rattle cans I've ever used.

Film: True Timber MC2 snow, bought that from Dip Wizard.

Film Activator: Whatever Liquid Concepts sells.

Sealer: Duracoat Duraclear.

The process was pretty easy. Prep all the parts, paint, dip, seal. I haven't put the rifle to use yet, let it cure for two weeks before final assembly and I'll shoot it in a couple weeks. As for a durability test I sprayed some sealer on my thumb by accident and after three weeks it's still there. brake clean and other chemicals hasn't removed it. I think the finish on the rifle should hold up for a quite a while.

That looks great! I jumped right to the pics and was surprised you hadn't used Cerakote. Looks good. I purpose built a 6.5G for Idaho grey wolf hunts that I hit up yearly with my little brother and Dad. I traditionally took a rifle I Cerakoted in Woodland until a couple years ago when we got 8 inches of snow in late JUNE. I went back and forth whether to do all white or throw some green in. I decided on 65% white and threw some Forest and OD green into it. I've found that it blends into my environment very well. Maybe even too much green for the amount of snow usually on the ground during season. Yours is the only other home grown snow camo job I've seen. A nice result indeed! Let us know how it works out...