• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Wisconsin man suspected of slaughtering 100 deer

KillShot

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
May 25, 2010
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Really?! Only SIX fuckin' months?! This sorry bastard should have his fuckin' nuts removed with a dull, rusty blade.
mad.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A Wisconsin man, who along with his three friends is suspected of illegally slaughtering as many as 100 deer in what prosecutors call an unprecedented "thrill-kill" spree, faces up to six months in jail.

Nathan Blaha, 20, of Hillsboro, Wis., and his accomplices allegedly wandered the backroads of Richland County in a pickup truck, stunning deer with a light before shooting them and leaving their carcasses to rot in what he called a contest to “get the most deer,” according to court documents.

"This is the antithesis of hunting," Richland County District Attorney Jennifer Harper told FoxNews.com Thursday. "This is thrill killing."

Blaha, and his alleged accomplices, 17-year-old Steven Blaha and 18-year-old Brogan Gillingham, face criminal charges in the December killing spree, when the suspects allegedly shot whitetail deer from the road after dark and without a license. A fourth suspect, a juvenile male who has not been named, was issued citations, Harper said. Steven Blaha can be tried as an adult under Wisconsin law.

According to a criminal complaint obtained by FoxNews.com, the older Blaha, who is believed to have done most of the shooting, confessed to killing 20 to 30 deer “this past fall and during the 2011-2012 gun deer season illegally.”

"The reason I was doing this was because we all kind of had bets who could get the most deer," Blaha said in a written statement to Conservation Warden Mike Nice of Richland Center.
But Blaha's co-defendants estimated the number of slain deer to be much greater, telling authorities they believe he illegally shot and killed as many as 100 whitetail deer within the past two years.

"There have been cases of shining and road hunting," Harper said, "but nothing to this extent." Deer shining is the practice of using a high-powered, hand-held light to see the animal at night. The bright light is commonly used by hunters to track the location of deer herds at night when the animals are most active.

The 20-year-old Blaha is charged with three counts that each carry a penalty of up to six months in jail and a $1,000 minimum fine. He also faces revocation of hunting rights for the next nine years.

The investigation into the illegal deer killings began when private landowners reported hearing gunshots at night and finding deer carcasses on their properties.

Licensed deer hunting is a time-honored tradition throughout the scenic landscape of Richland County, and other parts of the state, during a nine-day period around Thanksgiving. Residents must obtain a license and conform to various regulations and ethical rules. Hunters can use only certain kinds of weapons, for example, and are prohibited from shooting after sundown.
The suspected illegal slaughtering of deer by Blaha violated all the rules of hunting, authorities said, and has since outraged many hunters and conservation groups who claim Blaha may have depleted the herd and brought unfair notoriety to the sport.

"Some people hear this story and they think that’s what hunters do," said Jeffrey Schinkten, president of Whitetails Unlimited, a national conservation organization based in Sturgeon Bay, Wis.

"He’s not a hunter. He’s a game thief," Schinkten told FoxNews.com. "I hope they throw the book at him. It’s unconscionable."</div></div>

Source - Fox News

Re: Wisconsin man suspected of slaughtering 100 deer

3 counts of up to 6 months EACH and minimum $1000 EACH, so maximum time is 18mo and a minimum of $3k in fines

I think that is still not enough. At least there may be a higher power that takes over when the courts fail.

Some hunting laws are way too harsh and some way too soft. - like anything, i guess. A dui without any accident costs almost 5k and this is just as bad if not way worse.

He should get a medal. They are vermin just like rats & wild hogs. Damn deer cost the people in this country way too much money. Especially here in Indiana.

Kill a deer & the life You save might be Your own.

i agree that isnt much of a punishment but i think they'll hopfully learn there leason with jail time

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mac the knife</div><div class="ubbcode-body">He should get a medal. They are vermin just like rats & wild hogs. Damn deer cost the people in this country way too much money. Especially here in Indiana.

Kill a deer & the life You save might be Your own. </div></div>

It's poaching, and poachers are subhuman trash, not worthy of respect.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mac the knife</div><div class="ubbcode-body">He should get a medal. They are vermin just like rats & wild hogs. Damn deer cost the people in this country way too much money. Especially here in Indiana.

I understand where you are coming from. I have had way too many really close calls with deer, pigs and turkey when driving to and from home. When I see poachers, I no longer call the game warden. I figure they are doing people a favor. There certainly arent any shortage of these animals around my place (and all my neighbors agree).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Searcher</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mac the knife</div><div class="ubbcode-body">He should get a medal. They are vermin just like rats & wild hogs. Damn deer cost the people in this country way too much money. Especially here in Indiana.

I understand where you are coming from. I have had way too many really close calls with deer, pigs and turkey when driving to and from home. When I see poachers, I no longer call the game warden. I figure they are doing people a favor. There certainly arent any shortage of these animals around my place (and all my neighbors agree). </div></div>

How dare the deer not respect the roads... its almost as if they're wild animals with an inability to read road signs and such....

You just can't cure stupid...

http://wtvbam.com/news/articles/2011/oct/29/worst-car-deer-accident-in-memory/

http://www.deercrash.org/states/national_data.htm

According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration there are about 1.5 million car accidents with deer each year that result in $1 billion in vehicle damage, about 150 human fatalities, and over 10,000 personal injuries. The actual numbers are probably higher because the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration's figures for deer accidents, rely on inconsistent state reporting- there is no standard reporting of deer accidents in the country yet, and a "reportable deer accident" varies significantly between states.

http://www.car-accidents.com/pages/deer-accident-statistics.html

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mac the knife</div><div class="ubbcode-body">http://wtvbam.com/news/articles/2011/oct/29/worst-car-deer-accident-in-memory/

According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration there are about 1.5 million car accidents with deer each year that result in $1 billion in vehicle damage, about 150 human fatalities, and over 10,000 personal injuries. The actual numbers are probably higher because the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration's figures for deer accidents, rely on inconsistent state reporting- there is no standard reporting of deer accidents in the country yet, and a "reportable deer accident" varies significantly between states.

http://www.car-accidents.com/pages/deer-accident-statistics.html</div></div>

So, knowing all this now, going in.... is "road hunting" still as bad a thing as it has been portrayed to be? For all the areas where it is illegal to hunt anywhere within 250 meters of the road, there has to be a better way.

I don't know if ya'll have such laws/rules enforced down there but up here they sure do. And it's causing one heck of a backlash.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sean the Nailer</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mac the knife</div><div class="ubbcode-body">http://wtvbam.com/news/articles/2011/oct/29/worst-car-deer-accident-in-memory/

http://www.car-accidents.com/pages/deer-accident-statistics.html</div></div>

So, knowing all this now, going in.... is "road hunting" still as bad a thing as it has been portrayed to be? For all the areas where it is illegal to hunt anywhere within 250 meters of the road, there has to be a better way.

I don't know if ya'll have such laws/rules enforced down there but up here they sure do. And it's causing one heck of a backlash.</div></div> I think I get the gist of what You're asking here. I believe killing more of them around high accident areas would help. The Games Wardens are spread pretty thin though. I'll agree that something needs to be done.

I doubt that this guy was doing this for any sort of preventive measures. Strikes me like four assholes doing the sort of thing that assholes do.

I'm surprised at the light penalties he got.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: worldhunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">what a dirtbag </div></div> He "played" who can get the most and won!

Hey, at least they didn't sexually assault them deers, as far as we know anywhoo.

I hate these shitbags! I caught two guys poaching on our farm 10 yrs ago. Caught them while I was haulting manure. They tried to run, but they couldn't outrun a cell phone. They ended up being from Florida, shot a damn nice 10ptr. Then cut it's head off, and left the body. Dirt bags!

Make him work every spare minute of his life for the next ten years improving deer habitat and removing carcasses from the road. Simple, and it doesn't cost the taxpayers a dime.

As to those who think there's nothing wrong with poaching...you can rationalize it any way you want, but it reflects negatively on hunters and firearm owners. It's illegal, and it hits taxpayers in the pocketbook. Instead of supporting scumbags (who surely aren't killing too many deer and killing them out of season out of some altruistic tendencies), how about pressing the local game biologists, game wardens, and government officials to offer more generous bag limits during hunting season. Gets more deer out of the field (and off the roads) and more money into the Game & Fish coffers so they can do a better job of managing the population.

The area where I live is rotten with whitetails and I ride a motorcycle to work a couple hundred days a year, so I understand how deer can be viewed as nuisances. But giving kudos to someone who breaks the law, wastes natural resources, and costs law-abiding, tax-paying citizens...man, that's just shortsighted.

Noah. That is a well worded & thought out argument. I'll agree that a better job of managing the deer population needs to be done. Trespassers on peoples property should not be tolerated, regardless of their activity.

At the current time, whatever measures the state & local game managers are taking is not working. It's scary around here to take a bike ride at night because of the deer, & I'm at a loss to understand why people seep to place them up on the same level as a family pet in order of importance.

There should be no bag limit on deer tags until this problem is dealt with. It would sure raise a bunch of cash, & they could use it for something useful.

If they had a CWD permit they would have been thanked for their service.

Chronic Wasting Disease is a serious problem that requires our intervention. We have killed all of the naturally occurring predators in the area and now have a responsibility to act in their place. Deer herds will continue to grow beyond sustainable size rife with disease and starvation unless culled.

Chronic Wasting Survey 2011

Starving Deer:

30103d1246843348-check-out-deer-snowmobile-track-deer.jpg

I went to school in Indiana in the 90's and during the rut or combining season I hit an average of 1 deer a month! My old aunt hit 3 in one month. I was told that no one ever say a deer in Indiana till the 1970's. We could put expensive IUD's in them or just keep upping the bag limit. Sorry this is off the subject of poaching as I don't think the solution to the problem is just look the other way.

A great idea for punishment would be, to handcuff him to a table and make him sit there till he ate every deer he killed. Everyone wins!!

Is there a discernible difference between killing deer, prairie dog hunting and hogging?

What makes this animal different?

The moral outrage in this thread is a bit surprising to me and I would like to hear some of your arguments.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/suYNNMPue6s"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/suYNNMPue6s" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/LGC1tjHCSVE"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/LGC1tjHCSVE" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shark0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is there a discernible difference between killing deer, prairie dog hunting and hogging?

The moral outrage in this thread is a bit surprising to me and I would like to hear some of your arguments.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/suYNNMPue6s"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/suYNNMPue6s" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/LGC1tjHCSVE"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/LGC1tjHCSVE" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object> </div></div>

Thank you, I was starting to wonder if I was the only person on here that see's the moral issue with putting a higher value on certain animals while doing our best to exterminate others.

Prairie dogs are rodents that carry bubonic plague (and are therefore inedible) and do major damage to the landscape. They leave holes that can injure domestic or wild animals, and the hillsides they denude erode and runoff into waterways causing problems for fish and irrigators.

Feral hogs in many parts of the country are formerly domestic animals and imports...non-indigenous in other words. They do massive damage to the environment and cause many of the same problems with runoff as prairie dogs. Many of them are virtually inedible due to parasites and their diet. They breed prolifically and tend to displace indigenous species. They are also omnivorous and have been known to eat domestic animals (ducks and chickens mostly) and can be quite aggressive towards humans if spooked.

Removing feral hogs and prairie dogs improves habitat for other species. It preserves livestock and crops.

Deer are native to the U.S. They are almost always edible. They inspire hunters in this country to spend billions of dollars a year to hunt them, which pays for game conservation and management. (This is money that the government <span style="font-style: italic">will</span> get from the citizens of this country one way or another.) Where they are allowed to overpopulate, they can become sick and they can also damage crops and cause problems when they come into populated areas and onto roads. Ranchers and farmers are allowed to shoot nuisance animals legally, so that helps mitigate crop damage.

What I'm "morally outraged" by is the fact that what this jackoff did was illegal, and he wasted meat that many folks could really use with the economy the way it is. He was greedy and didn't do anything to contribute to the environment or habitat...he didn't pay his fair share. What he did reflects negatively on hunters and firearm owners. I love wildlife (watching, hunting, and eating it), and pride myself on being an ethical hunter. This scumbag is the antithesis of a good hunter and incidents like this can lead to restrictions and outright bans of hunting in some areas. At the minimum, it will cause fewer tags to be available, resulting in decreased revenues and fewer chances for legitimate hunters to go afield.

Noah,

That (above) was a very logical, concise, and well thought-out description of the difference. There are MANY here who will agree with you, and understand.

And yet, as always... there will be detractors. Such is the way of life.

Noah,

I can understand being upset that these people broke the law. If they wanted to go forth and kill critters wholesale they should have applied for the proper permit or selected game that people don't really care for. Proper procedure wasn't followed.

Unfortunately I am pretty sure that there are plenty of deer in this country and not enough people eating them. As a matter of fact out of several hundred (probably in the thousands) friends/acquaintances I only know of two families that hunt to put food on the table. I know many hunters but killing a couple of deer is not living off of the land.

The problem as I see it is that people simply won't go out and kill their food. To make it worse they don't want to bothered by wolves or mountain lions in the neighborhood. So now we have too many deer, not enough predators and a major industry that wants to get paid.

Were these guys wrong for breaking the law? Absolutely and I believe that a hefty fine is in order. Are they villainous thugs who should be castrated? Not in my opinion, they just chose the wrong game.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shark0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Noah,

I can understand being upset that these people broke the law. If they wanted to go forth and kill critters wholesale they should have applied for the proper permit or selected game that people don't really care for. Proper procedure wasn't followed.

Unfortunately I am pretty sure that there are plenty of deer in this country and not enough people eating them. As a matter of fact out of several hundred (probably in the thousands) friends/acquaintances I only know of two families that hunt to put food on the table. I know many hunters but killing a couple of deer is not living off of the land.

The problem as I see it is that people simply won't go out and kill their food. To make it worse they don't want to bothered by wolves or mountain lions in the neighborhood. So now we have too many deer, not enough predators and a major industry that wants to get paid.

Were these guys wrong for breaking the law? Absolutely and I believe that a hefty fine is in order. Are they villainous thugs who should be castrated? Not in my opinion, they just chose the wrong game.

</div></div>

There are lotsa' folks here whose yearly meat comes almost exclusively from wild game. Lots of us have two freezers we fill with a pronghorn or two, a couple deer, and an elk each year. And where I'm from in Florida, a lot of families survived on wild meat, too (especially if you counted fish). I guess I forget that in some parts of the country it's just not as widespread. Heck, they even serve deer in the jails here (stuff donated by the hunters who <span style="font-style: italic">don't</span> eat venison)!
crazy.gif

Oh, and I don't think the guy who shot those deer should be castrated or strung up...I feel he should have to pay what legitimate hunters would have paid for tags for those deer. That's simply reparation. And as punishment, maybe some community service at a public range during sight-in days or helping handicapped hunters...something that won't cost the taxpayers any more than he already has. And making him spend time around folks who really appreciate the wildlife in our country and cherish the opportunity to hunt could help him to realize that he shouldn't take our hunting privileges (rights in some areas) for granted. Of course he could just be a sociopath and nothing will make a difference in his outlook, but a fella' can hope for a positive change. (Oh shit...did I just say that?)

Have a great evening, gents!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Noah Mercy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shark0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Noah,

</div></div>

There are lotsa' folks here whose yearly meat comes almost exclusively from wild game. Lots of us have two freezers we fill with a pronghorn or two, a couple deer, and an elk each year. And where I'm from in Florida, a lot of families survived on wild meat, too (especially if you counted fish). I guess I forget that in some parts of the country it's just not as widespread. Heck, they even serve deer in the jails here (stuff donated by the hunters who <span style="font-style: italic">don't</span> eat venison)!
crazy.gif

Oh, and I don't think the guy who shot those deer should be castrated or strung up...I feel he should have to pay what legitimate hunters would have paid for tags for those deer. That's simply reparation. And as punishment, maybe some community service at a public range during sight-in days or helping handicapped hunters...something that won't cost the taxpayers any more than he already has. And making him spend time around folks who really appreciate the wildlife in our country and cherish the opportunity to hunt could help him to realize that he shouldn't take our hunting privileges (rights in some areas) for granted. Of course he could just be a sociopath and nothing will make a difference in his outlook, but a fella' can hope for a positive change. (Oh shit...did I just say that?)

Have a great evening, gents!

</div></div>

+1

You too!

I've lost not one but two cars to deer before, and I would lock this guy in a room with a buck during rut. Worthless piece of garbage individual.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 50calcruiser</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shark0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is there a discernible difference between killing deer, prairie dog hunting and hogging?

The moral outrage in this thread is a bit surprising to me and I would like to hear some of your arguments.</div></div>

Thank you, I was starting to wonder if I was the only person on here that see's the moral issue with putting a higher value on certain animals while doing our best to exterminate others.

</div></div>One is illegal. The others are not. You want to 'thrill kill'? Go shoot some prairie dogs or some hogs.

And if all animals are subject to the same morality, and laws don't matter to you, there are around 5 billion sentient, bipedal mammals in the 30-200kg class on the planet you can poach. (Not many of them have antlers, but there are a few out there.)

While I would agree that breaking a law that has been agreed upon by a group is an issue, it's the only issue I see in this case. The fact that majestic deer were his animal of choice has no bearing on my opinion.

Thanks for bringing people to the same level as deer. I do make exceptions in my own rules, they are mine after all. I believe there are people, animals that chose to domestic themselves (canines, they came to us look it up) and I mean as a species not the rare individual and then there is everything else. Sorry I believe (non-human) animals are on this earth for us to do with as we wish. Does that mean we should do our best to kill them all off? Well, no. What would I have to shoot/hunt/eat tomorrow?

If deer are held to the same moral equivalency as people, I anticipate lots of murder trials come November.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shark0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If they had a CWD permit they would have been thanked for their service.

Chronic Wasting Disease is a serious problem that requires our intervention. We have killed all of the naturally occurring predators in the area and now have a responsibility to act in their place. Deer herds will continue to grow beyond sustainable size rife with disease and starvation unless culled.

Chronic Wasting Survey 2011
</div></div>

Just heard on the news this morning that Northern WI's first case of CWD has been detected. Near Shell Lake.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 50calcruiser</div><div class="ubbcode-body">While I would agree that breaking a law that has been agreed upon by a group is an issue, it's the only issue I see in this case. The fact that majestic deer were his animal of choice has no bearing on my opinion.

Thanks for bringing people to the same level as deer. I do make exceptions in my own rules, they are mine after all. I believe there are people, animals that chose to domestic themselves (canines, they came to us look it up) and I mean as a species not the rare individual and then there is everything else. <span style="font-weight: bold">Sorry I believe (non-human) animals are on this earth for us to do with as we wish.</span> Does that mean we should do our best to kill them all off? Well, no. What would I have to shoot/hunt/eat tomorrow?

If deer are held to the same moral equivalency as people, I anticipate lots of murder trials come November. </div></div>I wonder when someone suggests that killing any animal holds the same moral equivalency - regardless of the species. Where do you draw the line? Rats? Cows? Dogs? The last 100 breeding pairs of Snow Leopards? Society kills people all the time, but only as a moral correction for an immoral act, or in war. Why not make the killing of some animals, in some particular way, a crime, the way we make the killing of people a crime under certain circumstances?

Being able to define what is a 'good' kill and what is nothing more than sadistic or wanton carnage is one of the things that makes us human, and separates us from the baser creatures.

I agree that what is a 'good kill' is debateable, and personal feelings can often conflict with logical constructs. But if history has taught us anything, it's that man is best served by managing his interactions with other species, and not allowing impulsive and egotistic behavior to rule the land.

One can view man as having the right of dominion over all other creatures, or the responsibility for stewardship of those same creatures.

As in most cases, I believe balance is the key. A man wantonly destroying deer just for the thrill of the kill is a sign of an unbalanced mind.

I would probably think the same if I drove a motorcycle (I've known a few motorcyclists who've been seriously injured or killed by deer).

I personally as a car guy, see the deer as wildlife that I'm happy to have around (provided they aren't running into my car which has happened before/ is expensive and dangerous).

I think the guy should get worse than $3000 in fines for this. It would be one thing if he was starving and eating, but to just kill things to kill them can be a warning sign of worse behavioral disorders to come.

That would be what I'd be worried about more than anything else.

Rats? Kill 'em. Cows? What are you a vegan? Well hell yes kill them, how else would you get them to be still long enough to cook properly? Does that mean hose them down with a minigun? If you cal afford it, why not? Last time I checked dead is dead. Dogs? Did you not read the exception to my rule?
Last 100 mating pairs of snow leopards? I don't care if it was the last pair. One would look bitchin in the office. (I suggest you never visit the Tom Bolack museum in Farmington NM., full of now extinct animals that Tom shot. It's really cool actually).

Animals are here for us to eat, hunt, shoot, carry loads and put into circuses to jump through hoops of fire. It's pretty black and white in my mind, animals aren't people.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 50calcruiser</div><div class="ubbcode-body">While I would agree that breaking a law that has been agreed upon by a group is an issue, it's the only issue I see in this case. The fact that majestic deer were his animal of choice has no bearing on my opinion.

Thanks for bringing people to the same level as deer. I do make exceptions in my own rules, they are mine after all. I believe there are people, animals that chose to domestic themselves (canines, they came to us look it up) and I mean as a species not the rare individual and then there is everything else. Sorry I believe (non-human) animals are on this earth for us to do with as we wish. Does that mean we should do our best to kill them all off? Well, no. What would I have to shoot/hunt/eat tomorrow?

If deer are held to the same moral equivalency as people, I anticipate lots of murder trials come November. </div></div>

+1

This is rediculous.

If someone is starving I dont think its a big deal if they are taking some deer to put food on the table.

But 100 deer? You had better be feeding a village to justify that.

Guy sounds like a douche bag.

The other guys is correct. Our respnsibility is in fact that of stewardship. This is not debateable and irrefutable.

Abuse, cruelty and waste should never be tolerated on any level or scale.

This was waste. Plain and simple.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Our responsibility is in fact that of stewardship</div></div>

Who gets to define stewardship? The people that knew best for the mule deer of Kebab Mesa? Or the hunters on Michigan's Upper Peninsula who forever shot the first buck, no matter the age or size, they saw while forming a lynching mob if a doe was shot? There are tons more examples that I won't bother you with. The point is we pretend to know what's best for everything and in fact, we don't. We fuck up more stuff with "the best of intentions" than you can shake a stick at. Stewardship isn't even the issue here.

(The hunting in U.P. is turning around, by the way).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 50calcruiser</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Our responsibility is in fact that of stewardship</div></div>

<span style="font-weight: bold">Who gets to define stewardship?</span> The people that knew best for the mule deer of Kebab Mesa? Or the hunters on Michigan's Upper Peninsula who forever shot the first buck, no matter the age or size, they saw while forming a lynching mob if a doe was shot? There are tons more examples that I won't bother you with. The point is we pretend to know what's best for everything and in fact, we don't. We fuck up more stuff with "the best of intentions" than you can shake a stick at. Stewardship isn't even the issue here.

(The hunting in U.P. is turning around, by the way). </div></div>

Hopefully not you, because your stupidity in suggesting it is perfectly acceptable to just run around and kill deer while stunning them with a light without any intention to use the animal for any purpose other than the thrill of killing is disturbing. You sound like a 12 year old boy who has played too many video games. Nobody is talking about hunting, and I think you should clue in to the fact that this guy was not hunting, but rather running around wasting deer that could have fed people, or could have been around for responsible hunters. People like him/you are what ruin this for all of us, just as much as the peta fanatics.