• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Wise to go all out for first rifle? (FN SPR A1 vs. AI AT)

Mqfun

Private
Minuteman
Sep 1, 2014
Las Vegas, Nevada
Hello, I'm New to the Forum.

I was reading the Demigod article in the FAQ about purchasing your first rifle and he laid out either Entry level rifle (SPR in this case) or Accuracy international. I was wondering if it would be wise for me to choose the AI over the SPR as a starter rifle. I could drop the cash on SPR now or Sell my SCAR 17 (not that huge of a fan) and use the SPR money to buy the AI. If I go the AI route I would have significantly less money for ammo and would honestly it would be kind of weird with my current glass, a PA 4-14x mil dot. What would you guys recommend? I'm sensing most of you would go for the SPR w/ much more ammo. Please note it is only these 2 rifles I am looking at and I am not interested in others.

Thanks!

Edit: I'm going to sell the SCAR anyways so the extra money will go towards delicious 175gr FGMM and a rear bag/Bipod, etc.

Last edited:
Whats your long term goal?

If the AI is what you want at some point, your present scope will function, you will have enough left over for some ammo and you expect to continue employment with the possibility to save.....why not buy the parts that fit your future goals now?

Whats your long term goal?

If the AI is what you want at some point, your present scope will function, you will have enough left over for some ammo and you expect to continue employment with the possibility to save.....why not buy the parts that fit your future goals now?

My long term goal is the AI, and when you word it like that it makes it kind of obvious to me that I should go with the AI. Thanks.

The SPR is a very nice rifle in its own right but if you're in love with the AI and can afford it, buy it. From my experience all you'll end up doing otherwise is modifying whatever else you get to match what you originally wanted.

Agreed. If you think you want the AI, just get it. I have an FN, and I like it a LOT - but if I wouldn't lose my ass on it I'd sell it and get the AT.

I would also go with the AI since it seems that is what you really want rather than spending money on a 2nd choice and if you subsequently sell it to get an AI possibly taking a monetary loss as well. I was in the same position and chose to buy the AI.

Bro if you got the money, get the best you can buy but do your research first of course. Even if you never have fired a round in the prone position in your life. That way as you train you always know that it's you and not the rifle. If ya get bored with it, head to the for sale section here and get most your money back and move on to the next hobby. I warn you though... Firearms are addictive! Ever held a custom made 1911?

Cost of ammo shouldn't be a factor in your choice of this. Buy the rifle you want now instead of wishing you did.

Ammo is something you burn through and always will. Some months you have more money for it some months you don't.

You will probably get into loading your own at one point anyways.

Also one more thing .If you do sell the SCAR you would be better served whether you buy the AI or SPR to spend the extra money
on a reloading setup not on a case of match ammo....just a thought

Last edited:
The AI AT is a sweet rifle. I would take it over the FN any day.

With the AT you are essentially getting last year's AW with a quick barrel change feature or about the price of the old AI AE. When you look at what you get on the AT, it makes it harder to justify spending the extra on a AXMC.

We have a few AI rifles on the shelf and would love to give you a price quote if you are interested.

Another question I'd ask if I was in your shoes is the actual purpose planned for this rifle. Some people want a "do-it all" solution when making their first purchase (e.g. hunting+plinking+hitting steel at 1k yds + f-class + tactical-shooting + home defense... well you get me). Since you mention having a scar17 I'd guess you already have some of those areas covered with other firearms, though.

Have you gotten behind an AT? Have you tried the McMillan on an SPRA1. Take a look here http://www.snipershide.com/shooting...les/268016-**labor-day-sale**-fn-spr-a1s.html. Yesterday they had two left. That's about $2700. less than an AT. $2700. equals an entire reloading set up and a metric shit ton of components or nearly 2700 rounds of FGMM. Either way, a year after the purchase you will be a far more capable shooter if you get the SPR and put in the range time. At Mike's price you're not going to lose squat if you decide to sell it. Down the road, you will know what you like in stocks, caliber, triggers, etc. At that point, you can make an intelligent decision.

before you spend a whole crap ton of money on a custom rifle, maybe you could rent one for a while, and try different ones out...i personally cant get comfortable on an ai style rifle...but my mcmilly a5 is supurb for me...take a few classes and rent what the schools have, and play with what other students are bringing to the table...then you will have a better picture of what you really need. puting 1000 rounds into a rental rifle or a loaner will give you enough of an idea what you want and what you dont want...