• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Wolf Primers

heavy barrel

Private
Minuteman
Mar 17, 2009
phoenix,az
Are Wolf Standard Non-Corosive primers the russian primers everybody talks about? Or this there another name for them? My local store got a shippment in & need to know if these are the good primers.

Re: Wolf Primers

Been several threads on here about Wolf. Most including myself seem to like them. I have shot about 7k of them in rifle and pistol and all but two went bang. I was able to attribute both of those to high primers as second go they bot popped.

My understang is that Wolf are Russian.

Wolf are Russian. They seem to do fine for me. About .0005" larger diameter than CCI BR and Federal makes seating a little tighter.

The primer shortage seems to be loosening up some, and I have found some Federal in stock around here. Until recently the Wolf was all I could get in LR and LRM, so I have put about 2k through my guns. One misfire which fired on the second strike. Other than that they have been reliable.
madd0c

I like them quite a bit. After thousands fired, and telling everyone I never had a misfire I got my first on Sunday. AR10 running 260's, it was a proud primer that went on the second try. So much for 100% QC on my part.

They are consistent, although slightly tougher to seat as mentioned. I've broken 2 seating handles on the Lee hand primer using them.

Wideners has them for 29.50/1000 (I really wish I'd bought more than 8k last year for 18.50/1000...)

I use them to get a few "freebie" loadings out of brass that is getting loose primer pockets. They seem to perform as well as 210M's and BR2's....ES seems to be equal on all three.They are tight to seat on new brass....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PGS</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> They seem to perform as well as 210M's and BR2's....ES seems to be equal on all three.</div></div>

This is what i was after. So there is only one type of russian primers? Not standard & match?

There is standard and magnum, the primer mixture amount is the same in each, the difference is the standard has a copper cup, magnum has a harder brass cup. I use magnum because the loads I am shooting are toward the top end of preasure. In auto loader people run the harder primers to help with potential slam fires.

I have used Wolf SR in my 2011 STI and they work fine. I also load Wolf LP for my 10mm. I did not find much difference in seating of the SR but the LP defenately requires more effort to seat in the Starline Brass. I would say they are all good to go.

I have an update. I tried to shoot some 9mm out of a G34 with a Vanek Trigger and I had some failure to fires. Probably about 10 in about 100 rounds. I did check and there were dents on the primers. I put a few of them back in the mag and all but one fired on the second attempt. I just got aggrevated and quit. Now the Vanek did come with a different striker spring. I changed it back to factory and will have to try again.

Also I attempted to shoot some 10mm reloads the same day out of a G20 with Wolf LP primers loaded in Starline brass and the same thing. They would not set them off consistantly.

Did some research and it seems like some people have trouble with them in striker fired guns. My DW 1911 sets off my 10mm reloads without a problem. This was the first time I tried them in my newly acquired G20. So it seems like Wolf are very hard. Basicly you might have problems in striker fired guns but traditional firing pins set them off as good as other brands.

I shoot the Wolf in a Glock 22 and Glock 35 both of which have charlie vanek's kits in them. I have to pay very close attention to ensure that they are firmly seated.

If they go off on the second attempt it is a good indication that they were not properly seated. The first primer strike finished bottoming them out in the primer pocket. The second one then had a firmly seated primer and it went off.

Have shot just over 8k Wolf primers through the two above mentioned guns. Only had two that failed to fire on the first go. Both went on the second. I seat these primers pretty hard and don't have a problem.

I am having trouble understanding this whole primer shortage thing. OK, so there was a run on primers made in the US and a big backlog. How do you explain the lack of Wolf primers. You would think that the Russians would jump at the opportunity to saturate the US market with their primers. I never heard that Wolf was backlogged. Was the Wolf availability controlled to protect the US market?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pirate-69</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am having trouble understanding this whole primer shortage thing. OK, so there was a run on primers made in the US and a big backlog. How do you explain the lack of Wolf primers. You would think that the Russians would jump at the opportunity to saturate the US market with their primers. I never heard that Wolf was backlogged. Was the Wolf availability controlled to protect the US market? </div></div>

There were rumors to millions of primers sitting in customs waiting to come through. How true they were I can't tell you. I do know that in early 2009 I bought 10k of Wolf primers for 165 shipped from Wideners. The last 5k of Wolf SR mags cost 140 bucks, they're currently 28.50-33.50 per 1k when you find them available.

There's a lot of hoarders that bought a lifetime supply of primers on credit cards last year and now they don't know what to do with them, so they're dumping them. Between that and supply catching up to the backlogs things are slowly returning to normal.

I wouldn't ever expect to see 16.50/1k for Wolf primers again though, now that the market is up I doubt we're going to see much of a relief. In the grand scheme of my shooting addiction, 16.50/1k vs. 33.50/1k costs me an extra 150-200 bucks a year. Yes it matters, but it doesn't bother me the way it bothers the subgunner community who will shoot 50k a year or more.

There have been a lot of problems with Wolf Small Pistol. If you're having failure to fires, that's why.

Wolf will give you a refund if you contact them. I would not continue to use the primers. I have had rounds that barely cleared the barrel when the primers failed to ignite fully.

I have had no problems with large pistol, small rifle magnum, large rifle, or large rifle magnum.

I will never buy Wolf Small Pistol primers again.

I too have been having problems with the Wolf small pistol primers.