• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

wolf,silverbear,brownbear

sniper81

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 16, 2010
how good are these brands i want something cheap to shoot coyotes with, got 62grhp,and 62 sp, i have a ton of umc fmj i will shoot first but wanted ur guys opinion on these before i put them through my rifle

Re: wolf,silverbear,brownbear

I can tell you from personal experience that they are <span style="font-style: italic">very</span> dirty and you should clean your rifle after using them. I've used Silver Bear and Brown Bear, with the former being the better of the two. Monarch ammo that you see at Academy Sports is another <span style="font-style: italic">filthy</span> brand of ammo. I couldn't believe how dirty each of those brands were. It was like someone had poured soot down my barrel and that's no exaggeration.

I used a box of Brown, Silver, and Monarch only one time and decided to never use that crap again.

Now, I use PMC Bronze 147gr for plinking and Hornady TAP 168gr for grouping.

Crap, crap, and don't know but probably crap. I bought some discounted ammo of the first two, one box each just to give it a try and they were light loads and dirty firing. I'll never touch any more Russian ammo again.

Stick with USA made in my opinion.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Redmanss</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Crap, crap, and don't know but probably crap. I bought some discounted ammo of the first two, one box each just to give it a try and they were light loads and dirty firing. I'll never touch any more Russian ammo again.

Stick with USA made in my opinion. </div></div>
+1

I buy that shit just to have on hand. Thats the only reason I have it.I shoot the PMC Bronze as well if I want to shoot cheap stuff for up close positional shooting.

It is dirty as hell, but that shouldn't be a big deal because so is the UMC crap you are currently running. Aside from that, most of the Wolf and Silver/Brown Bear stuff I have seen suffers from incredibly poor consistency which causes accuracy problems. Now, with all that said, it will go bang everytime you pull the trigger.

Just about any US mil surplus ammo will shoot cleaner, as reliably, and more accurately than the options you are considering for roughly the same money. Also, you get brass cases that you can sell, reload, etc.

I have about 500rds of wolf for JIC ammo.

but I never shoot it. I shot it once and it was the nastiest, dirtiest ammo i have ever shot. For Cheap plinking ammo try U.S. Mil-surp M855. It is brass cased and has a 62grain projectile. It is relatively inexpensive but runs much cleaner

In my experience... Wolf is dirtier than Brown, Sliver or Golden Bear. Accuracy and dimensions will vary slightly. They will be fine for plinking in Eastern Bloc rifles but I don't recommend using them in AR's. AR's function the best with brass cased ammo. The steel cases are harder on the ejectors. Not to mention that some wolf and brown bear ammo uses a lacquer coating on the steel case, which can melt off when heated up. I've also seen this cause extraction issues. I've never had any problems with it in 7.62x39 or x54R because those things are made to eat anything, but I try to feed my ARs strictly brass.

You must not think much of your platform if you are planning to run this crap through it! This junk is ok for AK series but the price difference doesn't justify use in a quality AR . If money is the prompting decision contact me I will hook you up on quality ammo a discount pricing.

a good ar will eat wolf brown bear and silver bear no problem . now that being said I would not put that crap in my rifle if it was free. I prefer to roll my own ammo. I will shoot factory ammo if need be but I would rather buy bullets brass and powder in bulk and do it myself.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with Wolf or other animals for a weekend of pistol or carbine training. You gotta clean the thing anyways. Shoot whatever you can find and afford!

I do try to keep it out of the precision rifles, but hey if you're stuck on a short range for the day it's all sub MOA!

I agree, there's nothing wrong with the stuff for punching paper on a range evolution just don't use it in anger. Just clean thoroughly afterwards and expect extraction issues at some stage. Simple economics - how much do you save shooting the stuff vs the price of a new extractor? Personally I don't run any steel cased ammo in my ARs because they are so hard on the extractors but it's your call.

I will not touch Wolf with a 10 foot stick. My rifles are very reliable with Silver Bear however and it is not as underpowered or as inconsistent as Wolf. Still it is filthy.

I can tell you one thing that is for sure...Wolf Gold series of ammo is much cleaner than some of that shit ammo the US government issues to our troops.

Some of the 7N series of Match grade ammo is made by Wolf. The fact that you don't see it in US stores, doesn't mean it's not there.

The point is, some of it is good or better than good. Some of it is junk. And that can be said about any manufacturer out there, including those that are "Made in the USA" - just look at some garbage Remington produces!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VYD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I can tell you one thing that is for sure...Wolf Gold series of ammo is much cleaner than some of that shit ammo the US government issues to our troops.

Some of the 7N series of Match grade ammo is made by Wolf. The fact that you don't see it in US stores, doesn't mean it's not there.

The point is, some of it is good or better than good. Some of it is junk. And that can be said about any manufacturer out there, including those that are "Made in the USA" - just look at some garbage Remington produces!

</div></div>

You are aware that Wolf does not make anything right? The Wolf Gold is made by Privi Partisan and the steel case Wolf is made by Tula Cartridge Works.

The Barnual aka Silver Bear, Brown Bear and Golden Bear is much higher quality than the Tula. YMMV however

Whatever rocks your boat, obviously you don't even know what 7N ammo is...

And no, don't shoot it in your AR, your black toy will break.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VYD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Whatever rocks your boat, obviously you don't even know what 7N ammo is...

And no, don't shoot it in your AR, your black toy will break. </div></div>

I do know what 7N6 ammo is and if I owned a AK74 or a 5.45 upper I would care. Wolf still does not manufacture any ammunition. Wolf IMPORTED ammo except for the PRIVI is crap.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sniper81</div><div class="ubbcode-body">how good are these brands i want something cheap to shoot coyotes with, got 62grhp,and 62 sp, i have a ton of umc fmj i will shoot first but wanted ur guys opinion on these before i put them through my rifle </div></div>

Back to the subject.

Some of it is good. Some of it is not good. That simple. I guess it will all depend what rifle you are talking about, your range, main application, and how much money you are willing to spend. You said cheap. It doesn't get any cheaper than that. You said coyotes. I am sure they won't care what kills them. My AK loves cheap shit but then again, I only shoot it out to 100 yards max...

Have ran 1500+ of silver bear thru a scar and sig 556 rifles. Have shot for groups countless times at 100 and it is plenty capable of one inch 5rnd groups, sometimes a little better or a little worse. Is a bit slower than average and does pretty good still out to 600yds out of a 16 barrel, drops way off after that. Noticeably quieter than xm193/m855/fgmm/etc.
Have punched a couple coyotes with these silver bear 62gr hp, and imagine due to the THICK steel bullet with thin copper coating, they evidently poke right thru coyote size critters(*pull a bullet, heat with a torch and dump out the lead to see the steel body, very thick!). One shot at 20yds, other at about 90, both runners, both were shot broadside, tracked blood for hours between cat-tail swamps, sucked ass.
The majority of the silver bear ammo was fired running a supressor, and didn't seem dirtier than anything else, actually pretty clean shooting, imo.
Did hear about an AR upper that blew up the other night at the range, guy was running wolf steel cased ammo, not sure about details.

The people that complain are the ones that have issues running different types of ammo. If your AR/carbine does not function or cycle brown bear or silver bear then shit can it. I have gone thru thousands of rounds of the two and the only rifle where i had a problem with was my FN FS2000 and i sold it. My STG556, LWRCs, PWS, LMT etc etc all run it without a hick up. The 55gr brown bear chronos right at 3050ft/sec out of my 14.5" Noveske which is as fast as what the XM193 chronos out of the same bullet. Also, i shot a stack of soaked yellow pages with one of the brown bears and wow, the back end blew out the size of a tennis ball.

gun ill be shooting is a stag arms model 3