• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Woman's Gun

alreadygone

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 16, 2006
Cave City AR
My wife is of small stature, 5ft,1/2inch with arms to match. For the past twenty years she's done very well deer hunting with a 7.62X39 Ruger Mini 30, but this year it seems to have lost a lot of accuracy. Yes, I know they're not known for target grade accuracy, but this particular one has been a 2" gun since new, now closer to a 5" gun. She absolutely refuses anything but standing neck shots, and has never lost a deer or needed a second shot. I have several thoughts on what's happened, but since I'd like to move her on to a bolt gun, this seems the best time to do so.

Accuracy; this is her #1 concern in a new firearm

Lightweight; #2 as she can't handle a fullsize manly gun.

Lethality; No wimpy cartridges.

Manageable recoil; She will never do a great amount of target/paper shooting, so can handle moderate recoil, but will quit before being punished.

She has a fascination with 308 Win, but I'm afraid in a short, lightweight arm it will be more than she can handle, though it's accuracy and lethality are first rate.

Another possible I've thought she might find more suitable is the 7mm-08, and can be fairly easily found in a youth model.

Then I'll admit the 243Win is a super accurate round with mild recoil, but I've never cared much for it because of all the lost deer I've heard of over the years because of nimrods attempting to use varmit grade bullets.

25-06, 257 Roberts, 7X57, 7mm Rem express, etc. are all good viable cartridges, but require a long action, which adds to overall length and weight, so not really an option.

Anyone care to rate the three at the top of the list? Any other options? No single shots!

Also, what brands of rifles should I be looking for? While price IS an object, it doesn't have to be bottom of the heap.
Bob

Re: Woman's Gun

youth model 243... manufacturer of your choice

if you absolutely hate the 243... look 260/6.5CM/7mm-08 for factory chamberings.... I personally think Savage offeres the best choices and bang for your buck

What about .260?

Pros: Good lethality on deer
Manageable recoil
Great ballistics

Cons: Expensive ammo (not an issue if only used for hunting)
Difficult to find in a factory rifle

7-08!!! Great bullet selection and on the mild end for recoil. 140 grain bullets for most factory rifles twist rate.

Personally LOVE the 22/250, but she wants more than a 22 (and for deer I really agree).

260 would be a top consideration if it didn't pretty much require a custom build.

Personal "go to" deer rifle's a left-hand A Bolt. After YEARS of tinkering, Magnaporting, load workup, etc. it's slightly above average, but not much. Won't pay that much for a mediocre example again.

Some love it, some hate it, but I rather like Savage's "Accu Trigger"

Are there any 308 youth guns out there? Have no problem with a used gun, most I own were previously owned.

Bob

There's nothing wrong with a .308 and the only thing you really need to worry about (other than recoil) is length of pull. But, it's quite easy to cut down vurtually any stock to fit her length of pull. I wouldn't sweat the recoil too awful much. Women are tough and can take more than you think. That being said, the .308 has very tollerable recoil.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Mechanic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you want a womans gun get her a Glock. Any Glock. Just had to do that. </div></div>

a Glock for deer hunting.... might have a few issues there

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Force_Multiplier</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Mechanic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you want a womans gun get her a Glock. Any Glock. Just had to do that. </div></div>

a Glock for deer hunting.... might have a few issues there</div></div>
Just pulling Glock fans chains. The topic "Woman's Gun" caught my eye and I just could not resist. I am a bad boy.
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Mechanic</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> The topic "Woman's Gun" caught my eye and I just could not resist. I am a bad boy.
smile.gif
</div></div>

Sir if she ever attempted to use one of those lame ass trigger systems her first instinct would be to tell you where to stuff it. Her purse gun is a lightweight 45 Officers Model. Condition 1.

Bob

260 rem or 7-08; my 16 yo son used a 260 from 10 to 14 he moved up to the 264wm the last 2 years. the 6.5 bullet is excellent you can even go down to the 6.5 grendel or the 6.5 TCU; to use the 6.5 and are excellent deer stoppers

Another vote for the .260 Rem. Great ballistics and manageable recoil. A model 7 with a LOP modification if needed.

AR platform in 300 Blackout. I know it's not a bolt gun(but someone does manufacture one for the cartridge) but it's light rifle, adjustable LOP, cartridge will take down your game.

outside the box, but my idea for you.

-G45

I am going to chime in on something you said.

Not a direct quote but you mentioned that you were leery of the .243 because of lost deer from nimrods using varmint bullets.

I am going to make an assumption that you are not one of those nimrods and would be more likely to use a medium game hunting bullet.

The .243 is a real deer slayer, 85 to 100 grain bullets of the proper construction.

7-08 with the speer 130 grain SPTBT bullet is a highly accurate deer killer.

Since she is familiar with the 7.62x39, why not a quality 7.62x39 bolt gun?
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/...39MM+Bolt+Action+Carbine+wBlued+Barrel+&+Waln

Add a 2-7x scope and she is set.

Don't worry about the .308 recoil. My wife shoots .308 all the time. We only had to change a recoil pad. She's 5'3" 100lbs. She recently shot an F/TR match with it at 300, 500, 600 yards x20 rounds each with unlimited sighters. Albeit she was prone. She never hesitated with this .338 LM either.

The Savage 10PC works pretty well for me and I'm only about 1" taller than your wife. It's not exactly "lightweight" but it's not too bad and has pretty good balance. With the SS 3-9 mine is at around 10-11 lbs and balances right at the front of the magazine. The barrel is already threaded on the new ones so you can always add a brake later.

Thanks guys, I'm going to send her a link to this thread so she can read it before gunshow tomorrow.

Bob

My wife is 5'4" all of about 120lbs probably less and she would killme if she saw that I post that much. She shoots my 308 all day long with no problems. Id say if she doesnt want a wimpy round the go for the 308

My sexy lady is 5'1" and she loves my .308, she has told people its hers and says she is going to take it from me. Having said that she loves shooting it but cant handle more than about 30 rounds in a day with my mild loads(42.5gr 4064, 168SMK - 10LB rifle).
We have talked it over many times and as much as she hates to get a "wimpy round", the SPS-V .243 is what she will be getting. When we talk about it last she still claimed to want a .308 but knew the .243 would be better for her.
But, a hunting rifle will be different because your not just banging thru the ammo, your wife could probably handle a .308 just fine but i think a .260,.243,or 7mm08 would be some of the better choices with a lighter hunting rifle.

Z man, Mag-Na-Port is a viable option. I had it done to my old A-Bolt because I do (or used to) a lot of load development off-the bench shooting. Tamed that ol beast down to near 243 levels,just not cheap. If we actually get her a 308 (her choice) it'll probably hitch a ride to Michigan.

Bob

Managed recoil rounds in the .308 would work great.

Loaded with 125 grain pills if memory serves. Ought to be quite deadly on deer.

i am a 5'8" 200 lb man and i have killed several whitetail with my model 7 243. 100gr noslers. 7mm 08 is fantastic as well cuz you can get bigger bullets. my wife 5'2" has no problems shooting my a bolt in 300 mag. porting is a great option if ya dont mind the noise

Posted this question on "Rimfire Central" centerfire section also. At least no one here has suggested a Rossi revolving rifle, or a lever thuty-thuty yet!
smile.gif

Bob

Why buy a new gun? Just rebarrel her current rifle and have a gunsmith do some spiffin to it, and she will have an even better rifle than before!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: coldboremiracle</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Rebarrel a mini 30?
sick.gif
</div></div>

Yes, even as stupid as it sounds, if she has been shooting it for the last 20 years, and has done really good with it why change now? Its a deer hunting gun, not a tactical rifle. OP is concerned about a rifle to suit her. If shes spent 20 years learning this rifle, and it fits, then why not??

I agree with the 7-08. We have most kids and wifes shooting that at camp. Does a great job on whitetails. However my girls (wife and daughter) are both 5' and 100# wet. They shoot my 7wsm GAP tactical with my can. It has less recoil than the 7-08 and far more punch. Step up and buy a real gun for the girls!

If recoil is a concern and the desired caliber is a .308, maybe just buy a lightweight model like a Remington or a Tikka T3 lite ($600+/-) and have GAP thread it and fit it with a surefire 7.62 brake. Might look a little out of place for a deer rifle, but your gun doesn't have to look good when you go hunting. (Mine does so if the deer sees me he is just like "wow, now that is a nice rifle.") Hehe.
I also know that they make reduced recoil loads with the same velocity of the hot stuff. I think Remington and a few other companies make it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: StanwoodSpartan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why buy a new gun? Just rebarrel her current rifle and have a gunsmith do some spiffin to it, and she will have an even better rifle than before!!! </div></div>

Not in this life! Spend a grand to get medocre performance not equal to a $450. Savage? Not this ol boy!

RDW; One of the Savage offerings will be on the top draft pick. Seems picking a Savage is more a matter of finding one that's actually been built and in stock somewhere.

Bob

bBuote=fdkay]Managed recoil rounds in the .308 would work great.

Loaded with 125 grain pills if memory serves. Ought to be quite deadly on deer. [/quote]

Just re-reading this and it brought up a memory. My Son, now 26, started carrying a cut down stocked 98 Mauser'06 at about age 12 with downloaded ammo using Nosler Balistic tip 125 grain bullets. That combo really hit like a lightening bolt!

Bob

I'm a Savage guy, too. However, I'll second the Tikka T3, in .243. My wife loves hers (and so do I).

7mm-08 I have used a lightweight one to hunt since I was about 8. Very manageable recoil and better ballistics than a .308, IMHO a heck of a caliber. I also second or third, (whatever) savage, great guns at a great price.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: alreadygone</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Z man, Mag-Na-Port is a viable option. I had it done to my old A-Bolt because I do (or used to) a lot of load development off-the bench shooting. Tamed that ol beast down to near 243 levels,just not cheap. If we actually get her a 308 (her choice) it'll probably hitch a ride to Michigan.

Bob </div></div>

I have been looking hard at a AAC-SD, one of those with a brake and we can both fight over that rifle too.
Eventually i will have a .243 for the 115dtac or a .260 for those high bc bullets tho.
You have gotten lots of suggestions, hope you and her like what you get.

Everyone has mentioned the obvious ones: .243, .260, 7mm-08, .308, 6.5CM/6.5x47L

If you want something a little different, how about:

6x45mm (6mm-.223Rem) or .300AACBlackout

Found and bought something totally unexpected. An older totally custom built mod 96 Swedish Mauser in 6.5X55 Swede. Has MonteCarlo birdseye maple stock with excellent figure and hand checkering. Action's been modified to cock-on-open with great single stage trigger. It was love at first sight, and it fits her well. Will need a scope upgrade from Lyman "American" 4X.

Initial groups aren't great at aprox 2", but the only ammo available at the (small) gunshow was one box of Privi Partizan. Expect much better when I can work up some handloads.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Bob

My wife has a lightweight Savage model 10 Sierra 243. It is just over 6 lbs. without the scope and has a light recoil. I mounted a Nikon Pro Staff 4X12X40 on it and have seen her commonly shoot 1 to 2 inch groups at 100 yards. She seems to be really happy with it.

As far as killing a deer with a 243 goes everyone has their own opinion and I know of many successful deer hunting stories using the 243. If the shot placement is correct the deer will go down. I wouldn't hesitate using it to hunt whitetail out to 200 yards.

Btw, she does not like the recoil of my 308.

The Savage youth model mentioned previously sounds like a good idea to me.

My buddy is wanting to build a Rem 700 in 6.5x55 Swede. Its a great cartidge when used with modern actions but from what I have heard the older actions require milder loads. His however will not be for hunting as much as LR steel killin.

That rifle should be a very good match for her needs. Congrats