• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Women prs shooters

Bsnyder

Private
Minuteman
Jun 22, 2023
Usa
Is there anyone who shooters prs with their wife? I’m stuck and could use some help. My wife is small framed and is having issues with a 26 inch barreled gt plus 8 inches of suppressor hanging off the end. Total rifle weight is 14.9 pounds. We shoot team rtc matches and local club matches so having dope that is the same is a big thing for us. So my question is do I ditch this long gt and get a new 6mm barrel in 6 creed and cut it back to 20 inches and run the 112-115’s at 2700 and keep mine or do I try to cut her gt back to 20 inches and drop and both of us shoot 105’s at the same target speed. I don’t think I will be able to shoot the same fps by cutting hers back. Currently our rifles are with in 7 fps of each other.

Thanks in advance.

IMO replace the can with a brake. if she needs or wants shorter than that think about cutting it back.

I’d work on balancing the rifle better and adding a little weight. Shorter but heavier barrel, add a brake, maybe aim for 18lbs but balances perfectly. Shorter will make it more weildy and compact and this feel lighter/less awkward. Maybe slow your speeds into the 2750 range so they’re the same.

Chris way has an article about weight and balance on the main page. It’s pretty good.

Good luck either way and congrats on having an awesome shooting partner.

Yea I’d ditch the can and cut back to 20-22” as well as 105’s. Heavy better balanced will feel nice to move around and 105’s will shoot really soft and smooth. I put my gf in a dasher with 108’s right at 16lbs in a well balanced chassis and she likes it a lot.

Is there anyone who shooters prs with their wife? I’m stuck and could use some help. My wife is small framed and is having issues with a 26 inch barreled gt plus 8 inches of suppressor hanging off the end. Total rifle weight is 14.9 pounds. We shoot team rtc matches and local club matches so having dope that is the same is a big thing for us. So my question is do I ditch this long gt and get a new 6mm barrel in 6 creed and cut it back to 20 inches and run the 112-115’s at 2700 and keep mine or do I try to cut her gt back to 20 inches and drop and both of us shoot 105’s at the same target speed. I don’t think I will be able to shoot the same fps by cutting hers back. Currently our rifles are with in 7 fps of each other.

Thanks in advance.
Stop obsessing about needing the same dope. You don't.

Regardless of what some might think the shooting sports are individual sports. They are absolutely not team sports.

Cut her loose and let her figure out what she needs rifle wise. She can figure out her dope too.

After all women are equals.

8 inches is a lot of can for a 6mm. Maybe try a 24” barrel with something like a TBAC dominus or ultra 5. That would go a long way toward fixing the problem if it’s one of mobility. If it’s weight, have her hit the gym. 14.9 lbs is pretty light for a comp gun. If you are shooting team matches and want to be able to call drops for each other off the same dope, I’d go to 105s in both guns and push hers up fast then drop yours down to meet her. I wouldn’t go as short as 20 inches….24 at the shortest, for me. Even if it meant thinning the profile down to lose some weight. That can way out front is helping with balance so losing the can will make the weight shift back. Whatever length you go to, make sure to keep it balanced so she’s not fighting the rifle.

8 inches is a lot of can for a 6mm. Maybe try a 24” barrel with something like a TBAC dominus or ultra 5. That would go a long way toward fixing the problem if it’s one of mobility. If it’s weight, have her hit the gym. 14.9 lbs is pretty light for a comp gun. If you are shooting team matches and want to be able to call drops for each other off the same dope, I’d go to 105s in both guns and push hers up fast then drop yours down to meet her. I wouldn’t go as short as 20 inches….24 at the shortest, for me. Even if it meant thinning the profile down to lose some weight. That can way out front is helping with balance so losing the can will make the weight shift back. Whatever length you go to, make sure to keep it balanced so she’s not fighting the rifle.
Thanks! I’m looking at cans more as well we currently have two. 105’s are an option I just haven’t played with yet. We are both in the gym 5 days a week. I think some will get worked out as she gains experience moving through a stage.

Thanks! I’m looking at cans more as well we currently have two. 105’s are an option I just haven’t played with yet. We are both in the gym 5 days a week. I think some will get worked out as she gains experience moving through a stage.
The bit about hitting the gym was tongue in cheek. Getting more experience, knowing how to hold and move with the rifle will help too. I guess I’m not sure what an RTC match is or what your total experience is but if you’re anywhere near near Kansas and can get to the foundation shoot with the pros day, that might be worth doing. I’ve shot with my daughter a bit. She’s 5’3” and 120. Shoots 6.5 out of a 16 pound gun. See if you can find video of Allison Zane doing her thing. Just watch how she holds her gun and how she moves.

The bit about hitting the gym was tongue in cheek. Getting more experience, knowing how to hold and move with the rifle will help too. I guess I’m not sure what an RTC match is or what your total experience is but if you’re anywhere near near Kansas and can get to the foundation shoot with the pros day, that might be worth doing. I’ve shot with my daughter a bit. She’s 5’3” and 120. Shoots 6.5 out of a 16 pound gun. See if you can find video of Allison Zane doing her thing. Just watch how she holds her gun and how she moves.
I will for sure look that up. My wife is 5’4 113. She can dead lift 1.5 times her body weight squats her body weight plus some. I think the length is where she struggles mainly on shooting through the cattle gate and the shoot through a tire/car hood that had a hole cut out. You hit the nail on the head I think when you stated learning how to move with the rifle. I had never heard of an rtc match and wouldn’t have picked it for our first match but we were there and we shot it. Rtc was you had 5 minutes to range and engage 3/4 targets from 1-3 positions. You couldn’t get any of your dope until you were in the clock. It was like a blend of nrl hunter and prs. Most stages were 18 rounds or 9 rounds per shooter. Going to look up the name listed above now. I appreciate the help greatly. She wants to get better and she had fun and wants to do another so I’m all in. I figured it out and we need 3.5 more points per stage to finish top 10. I’m good with that. It’s a goal never the less.

Reactions: Taylorbok
Also appears the vcc contour is a bit much. I’ll look at a medium Palma and get on ordered.

Regardless of what some might think the shooting sports are individual sports. They are absolutely not team sports.

Cut her loose and let her figure out what she needs rifle wise. She can figure out her dope too.

They shoot RTC = Rifleman Team Challenge. 100% a team effort. same/ similar dope is a definite advantage.

I will for sure look that up. My wife is 5’4 113. She can dead lift 1.5 times her body weight squats her body weight plus some. I think the length is where she struggles mainly on shooting through the cattle gate and the shoot through a tire/car hood that had a hole cut out. You hit the nail on the head I think when you stated learning how to move with the rifle. I had never heard of an rtc match and wouldn’t have picked it for our first match but we were there and we shot it. Rtc was you had 5 minutes to range and engage 3/4 targets from 1-3 positions. You couldn’t get any of your dope until you were in the clock. It was like a blend of nrl hunter and prs. Most stages were 18 rounds or 9 rounds per shooter. Going to look up the name listed above now. I appreciate the help greatly. She wants to get better and she had fun and wants to do another so I’m all in. I figured it out and we need 3.5 more points per stage to finish top 10. I’m good with that. It’s a goal never the less.
For moving the rifle and building positions I practice with a Little Giant ladder and a DFAT in the garage. Threading the rifle in and out of three heights on the ladder really helps with cattle gates and porthole stages and will expose strengths or weaknesses really quick. On top of that it will help with your overall stage and time management and positions. Try one shot build, break, reset drills. From all heights. Then add a time limit. Like 10 second drill to get from standing with all gear in hand, to on target and breaking a shot. Then repeat for all positions, low kneeling, high kneeling, standing. Including a pic of my ladder and a post for when I dry fire practice.

Which RTCs are you guys doing and do you ever shoot the WPR match series?

B82E45B8-FC1D-4315-B6F1-F3A68B1B3671_1_105_c.jpeg

no on the wpr match. We stumbled in to the RTC match and had a blast. Looking for more in and around the eastern Wa area.

Reactions: Rippey715
They shoot RTC = Rifleman Team Challenge. 100% a team effort. same/ similar dope is a definite advantage.
They can each carry a dope card for the other person then.

Or she can bulk up and carry the same rifle he does.

Problem solved.

You can check for local matches at:
Lead Farm in Prosser, WA
Rock Lake in Benge, WA
KRG Windbreaker will be in Wilbur, WA in October (2 Day PRS Event)
Parma, ID has local 1 days and national 2 days
Snake River Idaho matches out of Jerome and Meridian area.
WPR match in Ronan, MT
RTC has teamed up with Western Precision Rifle for web hosting and match schedules and points. Check there for more matches and schedules
Good Luck (y)
Western Precision Rifle

Reactions: lash
OP, definitely scale down her rifle. Especially weight at the muzzle. I have used 20” light Palma with good results for petite shooters. Another big point is to get the lop short enough to fit her properly.
The lady described is literally half the size ( or even less) than a lot of guys.

For the guys suggesting that a 5’3” #113 lady should just get comfortable with a long heavy rifle, try this. Take your match rifle and add 12” to its length and 10-15# to its weight. See how you like it 🙂

Trying to maneuver a rifle that is nearly as long as she is tall is going to be a challenge.

I'd get down to 20-22" barrel with the can, and just get dope with that configuration.

Reactions: lead ƒarmer

I definitely see the need for matching dope in that format…and a suppressor for your teammate. Clearly the weight is not the problem. Anything like a gate where you have to stab in and out SUCKS with 36” of barrel to manage. You could probably take her existing barrel to a good shop and have it cut down to 24” and recrowned for a couple hundred bucks. Have her shoot with a bare muzzle until you can get her a shorter can. It won’t be as good as suppressed but won’t suck as much as a brake for you. Going to a Palma or even m24 contour will take some weight out and not suffer you any accuracy problem. Here’s the link for the train up in Kansas. Allison Zane is an MDT team shooter. Maybe 19 now. Kicks ass a lot. There’s tons of video of her out there.

Also, pay no attention to the pirate. He’s clearly never shot a team match or been around women of less than “generous” proportion.

Reactions: Taylorbok
OP, here is Allison Zane running a stage with lots of movement. A really good brake on the 26" barrel will help your wife more than buying new/shorter barrels. Also it seems like the bag attached to the rifle/gamer plate helps out many shooters, maybe especially beneficial for women?

Reactions: lash
They can each carry a dope card for the other person then.

Or she can bulk up and carry the same rifle he does.

Problem solved.
Carrying a dope card for the other rifle is not the same advantage as running same dope in a team match
also being stronger doesn't make it any less awkward feeding a long ass rifle in and out of small holes.

Just switch to a brake and be done, issues solved.

Last edited:

If he was shooting PRS sure, but at team matches having the same dope absolutely helps and saves time. I want the same dope as my teammate in a team event. Having different dope introduces extra variables to fucking up a stage.

OP, here is Allison Zane running a stage with lots of movement. A really good brake on the 26" barrel will help your wife more than buying new/shorter barrels. Also it seems like the bag attached to the rifle/gamer plate helps out many shooters, maybe especially beneficial for women?

The little ass junior girls are running 22-25 lb guns. Your wife can.. tell her to suck it up.

Weight= less recoil and less fatigue.

Cut the barrel to 22 inches and keep can. @NiteQwill runs something similar with his GT.
That rifle only weighs 16lbs. Allison is a great shooter and better than most but also isn’t humping a 25+lbs rig. Point being great shooting can be accomplished with a lighter rifle.

Hey man, you should try to connect with me and my daughter Ashlyn at a match sometime. We shoot a lot of the PRS stuff in eastern WA. We'd be glad to meet your wife and give any assistance that we can.

For some back story, my daughter is 17 but she started shooting PRS matches with me when she was 14. She's phenomenal shooter, beating most of the guys these days. She tied for 4th place at the last Lead Farm match (~80 shooters) and she placed 56th out of ~250 shooters at the PRS national finale and finished #5 Lady in the nation overall last year. She's been top lady in our NW region the last couple years running.

To give some context on rifle weight, she's alwasy shot a full size gun with 26 inch barrel + muzzle brake and a weight of around 18-20lb. Her current rifle is 19lb 4oz with no bipod/mag and 20lb 6oz with bipod. She doesn't use an attached gamer place but just uses a standard full wax canvas game changer with plastic bead fill. While she's pretty strong right now, even at 14 years old she was able to manage the gun.

I think the key is technique when it comes to rifle manipulation. Anytime she is holding the rifle before a stage starts, she holds the rifle vertical barrel up with the buttstock on her right hip and her hand on the grip/trigger. Her hip holds the weight of rifle and she mainly is just hugging it and using her arm/hand to balance it vertically to keep it from tipping over. Her left hand carries and places the game changer first, then her left hand reaches up and grabs the fore-end of the rifle to use both hands to place the gun, either dropping it onto the bag or two hand threading it into a port. She's a pretty fast shooter too, despite this sounding a bit complicated.

Hopefully this description makes some sense. Drop me a PM if you want to connect, I could point you towards some videos on Facebook where you can see her shooting.

Hey man, you should try to connect with me and my daughter Ashlyn at a match sometime. We shoot a lot of the PRS stuff in eastern WA. We'd be glad to meet your wife and give any assistance that we can.

For some back story, my daughter is 17 but she started shooting PRS matches with me when she was 14. She's phenomenal shooter, beating most of the guys these days. She tied for 4th place at the last Lead Farm match (~80 shooters) and she placed 56th out of ~250 shooters at the PRS national finale and finished #5 Lady in the nation overall last year. She's been top lady in our NW region the last couple years running.

To give some context on rifle weight, she's alwasy shot a full size gun with 26 inch barrel + muzzle brake and a weight of around 18-20lb. Her current rifle is 19lb 4oz with no bipod/mag and 20lb 6oz with bipod. She doesn't use an attached gamer place but just uses a standard full wax canvas game changer with plastic bead fill. While she's pretty strong right now, even at 14 years old she was able to manage the gun.

I think the key is technique when it comes to rifle manipulation. Anytime she is holding the rifle before a stage starts, she holds the rifle vertical barrel up with the buttstock on her right hip and her hand on the grip/trigger. Her hip holds the weight of rifle and she mainly is just hugging it and using her arm/hand to balance it vertically to keep it from tipping over. Her left hand carries and places the game changer first, then her left hand reaches up and grabs the fore-end of the rifle to use both hands to place the gun, either dropping it onto the bag or two hand threading it into a port. She's a pretty fast shooter too, despite this sounding a bit complicated.

Hopefully this description makes some sense. Drop me a PM if you want to connect, I could point you towards some videos on Facebook where you can see her shooting.
”Hold it like a white trash baby”. A wise man once said.

Not me, but a friend of mine went and looked... Her positional shooting could use some work based on the pictures posted. Not being squared up to the target will definitely make things more difficult. dry fire practice in the correct firing position helped me improve a bunch. building positions, and breaking a clean shot. those DFAT devices work wonders.

Lol..... Some "actual" constructive advice, based on experience. Now that's refreshing!!!

There is a terrible disadvantage if you don't run the same DOPE in a team match. RTC, Mammoth, etc. are won by teams with similar rifle, dope, etc.