• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Won a Burris Optics 50% off certificate....what do you you guys recommend?

Ghillieman37

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 30, 2018
Central PA
Won a Burris certificate at a Predator Hunting competition this weekend. It works out nice because I'm in the market for a new optic for my long range rig. What do you guys recommend? I wanna go with the XTR2 in Mils.....torn on what model...and what reticle.

I was checking into the 4-20 as well as the 5-25......think I would be fine with the first choice?

The XTR-2 is a nice scope mine have tracked great. I had a 3-15 and still have a 2-10. I regret selling my 3-15. But I "upgraded" to the Steiner t5xi. Under 1k retail I think they are one of the best. Well done on your contest.

Reactions: Ghillieman37
Aren't they supposed to be coming out with a pro version, or the XTR with better glass? Or was that Bushnell, I always get them mixed up. If that is the case then I'd wait for that.

Reactions: MTSLW
Aren't they supposed to be coming out with a pro version, or the XTR with better glass? Or was that Bushnell, I always get them mixed up. If that is the case then I'd wait for that.
I think that's Bushnell.

I run the 4-20 on a handful of rifles and like it really well. Including my 6.5 Grendel that I hunt coyotes, wolves and lions with.

I have the 5-25 on a couple bigger rifles like my 300 Norma.

I do like the 5-25 with the SCR for hunting.

Haha, that's funny. Well it must be true.. ;)

I certainly wouldn't hold off on a current purchase for anything that is coming from any manufacturer in the "near future". These things take time. And if Burris or any other manufacturer for that matter haven't even released the specifics of what they are working on yet, it still has some tweaking and testing to go through.

I can't comment on the specifics of what they are working on, I can only reiterate that I think people, especially fans of current Burris products, will really like it.

I ran the 5-25 for a while and really liked it. Only sold it because I had the opportunity to grab an AMG. I enjoyed the extra magnification and never had an issue with 5 being the minimum even while hunting.

I run the 4-20 on a handful of rifles and like it really well. Including my 6.5 Grendel that I hunt coyotes, wolves and lions with.

I have the 5-25 on a couple bigger rifles like my 300 Norma.

I do like the 5-25 with the SCR for hunting.

I run the 4-20 XTRII, the SCR reticle is what I prefer, but I have some of the older G2B Mil reticles. I think the 4-20 is kind of the sweet spot for practical field matches in the XTRII line. I rarely hit 20x shooting out to 1200 and have not wanted more. I have a 5-25 in the FDE that is slated for the 300 Norma Mag when it is done. My kid has the 3-25 on his B-14 HMR, some so he won't over crank it. He has shot one match with the long target out to 1125 and he was perfectly fine with it. Hunt with a 2-10, 3-9 and 4.5-14 mostly.

Unless you plan to go past 1200, I'd stick with the 4-20, if out to maybe 700 only, 3-15.

Get the 4-20. The image quailty is better than the 5-25. You will end up dailing your magnification back to 20x on the larger scope because the image gets too dark. 4-20x is the best XTR in the line up.

Get the 4-20 or 3-15. The optics are much better than the 5-25. The 5-25 at high power is pretty rough from an optical clarity standpoint. Both of the others are sharp throughout their range.

Although I agree that I love the 4-20 XTR II and use it on all my comp guns, I must not be aware of the criteria that makes for a rough sight picture.

I was shooting to a mile last weekend on 25x and was spotting my misses alongside a Meopta and Razor spotter. There were some no call shots. The ground was a little muddy and it just absorbed the bullet. But I pretty much saw everything they did, hits and small splash misses.. Sight picture looked pretty damn good to me.

I don't pick apart whether or not the world is coming through my optic in Ansel Adams quality. To me, the end result is how well it functions. And I have yet to have found it's limitations for spotting hits and misses versus any other optic. Nor do I have any issues hunting in the dreaded low light scenario or otherwise.

In my humble opinion, it's where the Hide shows it's flaws. Too much emphasis on glass quality that has little or no functional impact 99.9 percent of time. If you put a $1500 price cap on optics in the PRS, scores wouldn't change at all.

Having said that, I do understand why people love nice glass. Some of them look amazing with their brightness and color. They can be a pleasure to look through. Some of the high end optics on the market make the world just snap right out at you.. And if you have the money and don't mind spending it, I get it.

Last edited:
I had a G2B 5-25, it was a pretty solid scope all things considered. I also heard that they are coming out with some new cool stuff so if you aren't in a rush I'd wait. If you're in a hurry the SCR is much better than the G2B Mil IMO.